Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson - To trade or extend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
aha, so here is the source of the hyperliteralism accusation.

to recap: i say they are trying to "salvage value", and somebody corrects me and says "effectively they are doubling down". i come back and say, no it's not a double down, it's less than that, and i am accused of being too literal and pedantic?

i mean who is being too literal here? if roe meant to say chasing losses when he said double down, why did he answer my post at all? did he think i disputed they were chasing their losses when i said they were trying to salvage value?

he was obviously intending to imply i was understating the cost of re-signing gudbranson.

so i answered his point.
Hyper-literalism accustation ... or really just an articulation of your reputation here?

that's not doubling down. they are not paying what they paid to acquire him. this time it is only money and cap space.
Once again, i'll let this quote speak for itself. Please, go on, let us know what "double down" actually means because obviously you have a much different interpretation than everyone else.

For reference:

double down
phrasal verb of double
  1. 1.
    US
    (in blackjack) double a bet after seeing one's initial cards, with the requirement that one additional card be drawn.
    "the amount only increases when you choose to split or double down"
    • strengthen one's commitment to a particular strategy or course of action, typically one that is potentially risky.
      "he decided to double down and escalate the war"

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
A guy who has played less than half the season both years he's been in vancouver to date? Who knows. Maybe Benning sees something we don't. Maybe him and Eagle are money together. Maybe Benning knows that free agency can kill a team (cough eriksson) and wanted to avoid those July 1st prices

Right but you said Benning wouldn’t hesitate to trade a guy who is underperforming. Well here’s a guy who has underperformed his entire time here and didn’t get traded but actually got resigned with a raise.

All the reasons you list above may or may not be true but if they are then they won’t magically stop applying over the next 3 years.

What is clear is Benning likes this player a lot, despite the low opinion most people think of him. I don’t see why that would change in the next 36 months.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Gudbranson not having a NTC means nothing. Nobody will want him and that contract anyways

As pathetic as it sounds a Playoff Team's GM told LeBrun he'd gladly do that.

There's no doubt in my mind that with an analytics department and CBA nerd alongside me I could be better than half the f***ing morons in this league.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

There's no doubt in my mind that with an analytics department and CBA nerd alongside me I could be better than half the ****ing morons in this league.
Old boys club always look after their own. That quote is essentially lip service to help out old Jimbo. Wouldn’t be surprised if that was someone looking to rip him off again

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Old boys club always look after their own. That quote is essentially lip service to help out old Jimbo. Wouldn’t be surprised if that was someone looking to rip him off again

I wish Belichick took up hockey.

He'd absolutely feast on the Old Boys Club.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

There's no doubt in my mind that with an analytics department and CBA nerd alongside me I could be better than half the ****ing morons in this league.
ya, don cherry suggested trading Marner for Gudbranson. Do you think Leafs will do it? :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad