Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson (D) to Sens for 5th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He is doing fine.

He is not that big of a liability
I feel like he's getting beat a lot for a defensive dman that doesn't add much else, and in particular i don't like the ways i see him getting beat, it's often stumbling or tripping over his own feet as opposed to a great move. He plays a safe predictable game that generally keeps him out of trouble, and he adds a physical dimension that others don't but he is quickly becoming the regular i have the least patience with. I find he's become more error prone as the year goes on too.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
There's no way he's getting a new deal. Not happening.

Not the best source, but I saw an instagram post on puckempire where Bruce Garrioch apparently said that they are interested in re-signing him.

Wouldn't be surprised. They'll probably sign him as a stop gap until JBD is ready instead of actually fixing the defense.

Reactions: aragorn

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I feel like he's getting beat a lot for a defensive dman that doesn't add much else, and in particular i don't like the ways i see him getting beat, it's often stumbling or tripping over his own feet as opposed to a great move. He plays a safe predictable game that generally keeps him out of trouble, and he adds a physical dimension that others don't but he is quickly becoming the regular i have the least patience with. I find he's become more error prone as the year goes on too.

Plus, it looks like he's playing with a 2x4 for a stick on about 70% of his breakouts. I guess a 2x4 is really good for crosschecking.

At this point I'd send him a wake up call and put Brown in. Nothing suggests that Brown is any better but it at least might make Gudbranson come back with some purpose. It likely won't happen though because for some reason he was given an A on his jersey before having played a game for the team. Despite having been passed around the NHL like a hot potato for the last couple of years.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Have you watched a single game this season? I mean just the eye test proves he’s terrible and the analytics support that he’s been atrocious defensively.

I’m a big Corey Perry fan so to see Perry look fast again and turn someone inside out and score - happy i saw it.

Trades working out for me

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

His feet are a problem, and he does get in some trouble defending in transition. That said he is pretty good when defending against the cycle, he's heavy along the boards which has some value, and I think he's better at starting the transition than he gets credit it for. He's a bottom pair guy, problem is he is playing 19 minutes with this group.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
His feet are a problem, and he does get in some trouble defending in transition. That said he is pretty good when defending against the cycle, he's heavy along the boards which has some value, and I think he's better at starting the transition than he gets credit it for. He's a bottom pair guy, problem is he is playing 19 minutes with this group.
I can agree with all of this.

Reactions: topshelf15

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Brannstrom can do some things that Gudbranson can't do & Gudbranson can do some things that Brannstrom can't do. Gudbranson is playing too many minutes for a bottom pairing guy, but he's probably their best PK option. Let's face it almost every one on this defence core has deficiencies & it's going to take several moves before it gets any better & let's not forget how bad the goaltending has been either this yr.

Reactions: Emrasie

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Me pulling up CapFriendly and remembering this bum has a $4mil cap hit...

giphy.gif

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh he is a 7th guy ,or a sheltered 6th...Still would sign him over Reilly at this point...He does provide some sandpaper and does a solid job in front of the net

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I see him the same way I saw Boro. He’s got significant warts but also has useful tools. He can be useful as long as you understand his limits and play him in a bottom pair role with a better puck moving partner that maximizes his abilities while hiding his flaws.

I’ve got no problem with him being the ying to Brannstrom’s yang on the third pair until he moves to the second pair with Zub when we trade Reilly at the deadline. Then Gudbranson can do the same thing for Wolanin.

Reactions: topshelf15

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Of the stopgap veteran D we've brought in, he's the one I would be least offended by re-signing.

hes fought and hung in there - he’s exactly what he was advertised as. Seems like a really good teammate. He defends the kids Wouldn’t be against resigning him too

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Not a big fan of his game, but last night when I watched him stand up for Stutzle running around and was policing the other team I got the feeling Dorion was drafting up his next contract.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Not a big fan of his game, but last night when I watched him stand up for Stutzle running around and was policing the other team I got the feeling Dorion was drafting up his next contract.
My thoughts as well, I'm not the biggest fan of his, but like others have said, I'll take him over Reilly any day.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I see opposing forwards have....not that much issue against him on the cycle. Or in any facet of the game really.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I see him the same way I saw Boro. He’s got significant warts but also has useful tools. He can be useful as long as you understand his limits and play him in a bottom pair role with a better puck moving partner that maximizes his abilities while hiding his flaws.

I’ve got no problem with him being the ying to Brannstrom’s yang on the third pair until he moves to the second pair with Zub when we trade Reilly at the deadline. Then Gudbranson can do the same thing for Wolanin.
What do you think gudbrannson is doing FOR brannstrom? And what do you think he would do for Wolanin?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It’s incredible. 3rd overall pick. Doesn’t guarantee that you will be good. But it does guarantee you will continue getting paid
What do you expect from a 6th or 7th defender??U can have a Reilly or a Gubranson...Because those are typical bottom pairing guys...I take Gubranson in this role for exactly what he is a tough stay at home defender that will protect his teammates and move forwards from the front of the net...

You keep saying he is trash but dont offer any other suggestions to whom would be a better fit

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What do you expect from a 6th or 7th defender??U can have a Reilly or a Gubranson...Because those are typical bottom pairing guys...I take Gubranson in this role for exactly what he is a tough stay at home defender that will protect his teammates and move forwards from the front of the net...

You keep saying he is trash but dont offer any other suggestions to whom would be a better fit
6th or 7th d man? Why we paying 4 mil then?

I expect all 6 of the d men to be good. And don’t forget. We signed him thinking he would be a solid top 4 guy for us. I think there’s a lot of d men cheaper than 4 million that can do the exact same job/ way better job

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
6th or 7th d man? Why we paying 4 mil then?

I expect all 6 of the d men to be good. And don’t forget. We signed him thinking he would be a solid top 4 guy for us. I think there’s a lot of d men cheaper than 4 million that can do the exact same job/ way better job
We didnt give him that contract ,and it should be more than obvious he wont touch that kind of money again....But at say 1to 1.5 he isnt that bad to have around...And there is no way he belongs in a top 4 role,but he brings something to the table that is of some use...That 2nd pairing slot is being set up for JBD or Thompson with Zaitsev likely taking Gubranstrom slot later

Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
What do you think gudbrannson is doing FOR brannstrom? And what do you think he would do for Wolanin?

Clear the front of the net, stop some heavy cycles, communicate on where to be, help him feel more confident on the ice, gives him a guy he can reliably expect to be in the same spot every time for a pass when he’s under pressure (since he won’t or maybe can’t go running around all over the ice). He can also eat PK minutes and block shots to save energy for guys like Chabot and Brannstrom to use at ES or on the PP.

There’s value IMO in having a 6’5 220 physical specimen with 500 games NHL experience and a history of defending his teammates as a partner for a 5’9 180 rookie defenseman.

Is he perfect? No, of course not. If he were a rock defensively he’d be more than a bottom pair guy. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t contribute useful things.

Just because he doesn’t have the skating or passing or shooting skill to make some contributions himself doesn’t mean he can’t help create the conditions for Brannstrom do those things more effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad