Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson (D) to Sens for 5th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You need at least two guys that can handle themselves on the ice against most teams in the CDN division. After Watson and Gud its Brady. So take GUD off the ice and you've got Brady fighting WPG's or EDM's 2nd best fighter .. and Brady loses that fight.
Why does Brady have to fight their second best fighter. Like there are no line square offs anymore.

If we want to be the bully villains then so be it. But that’s clearly not how DJ coaches. He had a chance to do it against the Habs in the final seconds he chose not to. It needs to be a team identity. And it clearly is not

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You need at least two guys that can handle themselves on the ice against most teams in the CDN division. After Watson and Gud its Brady. So take GUD off the ice and you've got Brady fighting WPG's or EDM's 2nd best fighter .. and Brady loses that fight. Fighting isn't gone from the NHL and any team who has a physical advantage will exert it.
Nick Paul probably comes before Brady. He isn't a frequent fighter or anything but he can handle himself in the majority of situations.

Also, who are we envisioning coming into Gudbranson's spot? If it's Brown, you've got another guy ahead of Brady. I see people mentioning just keeping Boro as an alternative to having traded for Gud so again, no issue. I only reall see an issue if we're bumping Brann to the right side and playing both Wolanin and Reilly.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Nick Paul probably comes before Brady. He isn't a frequent fighter or anything but he can handle himself in the majority of situations.

Also, who are we envisioning coming into Gudbranson's spot? If it's Brown, you've got another guy ahead of Brady. I see people mentioning just keeping Boro as an alternative to having traded for Gud so again, no issue. I only reall see an issue if we're bumping Brann to the right side and playing both Wolanin and Reilly.

Basically yes - but Paul doesn’t do it. We’ve already seen Winnipeg and Edmonton already squared of with Ottawa (2 deep). They are going to run Brann, Stutzle, Murray, etc and someone needs to restore or maintain balance.

Paul can’t handle guys like Kassian, Stanley etc

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Basically yes - but Paul doesn’t do it. We’ve already seen Winnipeg and Edmonton already squared of with Ottawa (2 deep). They are going to run Brann, Stutzle, Murray, etc and someone needs to restore or maintain balance.

Paul can’t handle guys like Kassian, Stanley etc
Im not sure i follow, Gud and Watson were in those games (along with Tkachuk and Paul) and it didn't stop anything, it's goint to happen no matter who is in the lineup. Add Coburn and Brown and the opposition will still try to make Brannstrom and Stützle's life miserable.

Also, Stanley isn't a goon running around starting shit or fights, aside from being tall I'm not sure why he's getting brought up. Feels a bit like worrying about Ben Harpur. The barely even throws any hits.

Reactions: cudi

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
He's been looking much better the last few games.

For this seaosn, I like the look of:

Chabot-Zaitsev
Bran/Wol/Reilly-Zub
Bran/Wol/Reilly-Gudbranson

Reactions: Laminator

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Im not sure i follow, Gud and Watson were in those games (along with Tkachuk and Paul) and it didn't stop anything, it's goint to happen no matter who is in the lineup. Add Coburn and Brown and the opposition will still try to make Brannstrom and Stützle's life miserable.

Also, Stanley isn't a goon running around starting shit or fights, aside from being tall I'm not sure why he's getting brought up. Feels a bit like worrying about Ben Harpur. The barely even throws any hits.

Yes - but when it does happen it’s...

Fight 1 - Watson vs ?
Fight 2 - Gud vs ?

take them out and it’s

Fight 1 - Brady vs Kassian
Fight 2 - Paul getting pasted by ?

and than intimidation the rest of the game because Ottawa’s #3 won’t fight their #3.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
He's fine as a bottom pairing guy, no idea why we gave up a draft pick and paid him more money than just re-signing Boro though.

Less money.

Boro is $4m, Gudbranson is $3m.

IIRC, the problem with Boro was term, not yearly salary. It seems clear to me that the spot occupied by Boro/Gudbranson is going to a kid next season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes - but when it does happen it’s...

Fight 1 - Watson vs ?
Fight 2 - Gud vs ?

take them out and it’s

Fight 1 - Brady vs Kassian
Fight 2 - Paul getting pasted by ?

and than intimidation the rest of the game because Ottawa’s #3 won’t fight their #3.

Again, I'm not seeing anyone suggesting we take out both (most people seem happy with Watson) and even if we did, they're going to have to be replaced by someone, be it Brown, or Coburn internally (certainly not ideal), or some suggesting having re-signed Boro instead of acquiring gud for example.

We didn't get bullied and intimidated last year with just Boro for the majority of the year, not sure why this year is different.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Less money.

Boro is $4m, Gudbranson is $3m.

IIRC, the problem with Boro was term, not yearly salary. It seems clear to me that the spot occupied by Boro/Gudbranson is going to a kid next season.

Presumably your going to pay someone to suit up next year when Gudbranson is gone rather than ice just 5 d, so its not quite that simple.

If we bring in a guy on an ELC thats 900k or so and its close to even, if we shop for another Gudbranson like contract it might be more.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I guess we got Josh Brown as our 7th D next season, because I doubt Seattle picks him in the expansion draft. This makes Gudbranson unnecessary, but I do like him as a 6th D.

My opinion on him has changed; he was WAY above his comfort level earlier playing on the 1st, 2nd pairing, but I actually think he makes a decent 3rd pair guy.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Again, I'm not seeing anyone suggesting we take out both (most people seem happy with Watson) and even if we did, they're going to have to be replaced by someone, be it Brown, or Coburn internally (certainly not ideal), or some suggesting having re-signed Boro instead of acquiring gud for example.

We didn't get bullied and intimidated last year with just Boro for the majority of the year, not sure why this year is different.

I was responding to general posts I’ve seen here about Gud as a 7th Dman (I assume 6dman dressed) and Wolanin going in etc.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Presumably your going to pay someone to suit up next year when Gudbranson is gone rather than ice just 5 d, so its not quite that simple.

If we bring in a guy on an ELC thats 900k or so and its close to even, if we shop for another Gudbranson like contract it might be more.

But if Boro is a healthy scratch because you're trying to play a kid, you're still paying that 900k.

I don't know what the team is looking for next year. I'm just saying that this is a possibility in the reasoning.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
But if Boro is a healthy scratch because you're trying to play a kid, you're still paying that 900k.

I don't know what the team is looking for next year. I'm just saying that this is a possibility in the reasoning.
Are we going to have a smaller roster (22 instead of 23) next year because we traded Gud instead of signing Boro? I doubt it.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I guess we got Josh Brown as our 7th D next season, because I doubt Seattle picks him in the expansion draft. This makes Gudbranson unnecessary, but I do like him as a 6th D.

My opinion on him has changed; he was WAY above his comfort level earlier playing on the 1st, 2nd pairing, but I actually think he makes a decent 3rd pair guy.
I’m pretty confident we re sign him.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

That's an odd way of looking at it though. We're paying Josh Brown $1.2M/year and he's our 7th D right now.

Someone is going to get paid to be healthy scratched. It's a fact of life.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I think you are 100% correct that term was the issue. There also is no reason to think he would have taken $3x3 to play here without exploring his options.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

I assume its Josh Brown people are talking about? Seems like a hypothetical situation as he hasn't played for awhile. He's been pretty bad, and hasn't played since Jan. 31st.

Last edited:

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
How much leeway is this guy gonna get. One of the worst guys I’ve seen deployed by the senators in years. Provides next to no offensive skills, and makes multiple defensive gaffs per game. Whose bright idea was it to give him a letter?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I don't care how much we play him, I just hope we don't give him a new contract. Let Smith have his filll of gritty veterans but please let his on ice play deter us from giving him a new deal.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I don't care how much we play him, I just hope we don't give him a new contract. Let Smith have his filll of gritty veterans but please let his on ice play deter us from giving him a new deal.

There's no way he's getting a new deal. Not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad