Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson (D) to Sens for 5th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He is worse than Coburn.. Big tough ..best attributes
He’s not really tough in open play? He doesn’t have the legs to follow the play to really punish players. He doesn’t clear the front of the net. Those days are gone. Players don’t brute force the front of the net anymore. It’s a penalty.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He’s not really tough in open play? He doesn’t have the legs to follow the play to really punish players. He doesn’t clear the front of the net. Those days are gone. Players don’t brute force the front of the net anymore. It’s a penalty.
Answer the bell tough is what I meant

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I can agree with all of this.
Same. Sure, he could be better, but when the Sens win, he has a decent game. When they don't, you can point to many mistakes in his game. There is something about him ,though, that just strikes me as the type of guy teammates want around, and on the ice. I like our defensive depth, but there isn't anyone in the system that can play his style, other than Kleven

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He is worse than Coburn.. Big tough ..best attributes
You think Coburn is better?

I don't see that...Gud is involved and makes more plays IMO.

Neither is a great option but to me the right one is still in the lineup. Would be fine to see Brown get in again too...was hoping he was a diamond in the rough that would outperform expectations.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
You think gudbrannson is better than boro? Why. How. In what way.
So let me get this straight...Boro, a marginal 7th D and one of the most heavily criticized players in team history, is now much better than Gudbranson? That doesn't even take into account the fact that they play different sides, are opposite handed and that Boro is currently signed for 1 year longer than Gudbranson.

I searched "boro" in posts you made and returned 521 results. Wanna guess how many were negative/criticisms/etc.? Just stop.

Again: left handed, LD, one extra year on contract, his actual play (not the fighting) was universally loathed across the fanbase vs. a guy who is a seat filler being asked to play too many minutes on a poor and thin right side of our defense corps.

I know which one I take.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So let me get this straight...Boro, a marginal 7th D and one of the most heavily criticized players in team history, is now much better than Gudbranson? That doesn't even take into account the fact that they play different sides, are opposite handed and that Boro is currently signed for 1 year longer than Gudbranson.

I searched "boro" in posts you made and returned 521 results. Wanna guess how many were negative/criticisms/etc.? Just stop.

Again: left handed, LD, one extra year on contract, his actual play (not the fighting) was universally loathed across the fanbase vs. a guy who is a seat filler being asked to play too many minutes on a poor and thin right side of our defense corps.

I know which one I take.
Oh a hundred percent. I hated on boro a long time.

my posts last year are me admitting he’s turned himself around and is serviceable.

if we replaced boro with someone better? Sure I’m good with that. But replace him with Erik gudbransson? Josh brown? Coburn? Why.

plus boro fights so no need to dress haley as a “deterrent”

gudbrannsons play was also universally loathed. Across several fanbases

we take a player that was objectively poor for years. And work with him and work with him to turn him into a solid bottom pairing guy. Then w elect him go for players that are worse?

boro this year would have also been a “seat filler”

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Oh a hundred percent. I hated on boro a long time.

my posts last year are me admitting he’s turned himself around and is serviceable.

if we replaced boro with someone better? Sure I’m good with that. But replace him with Erik gudbransson? Josh brown? Coburn? Why.

plus boro fights so no need to dress haley as a “deterrent”

gudbrannsons play was also universally loathed. Across several fanbases

we take a player that was objectively poor for years. And work with him and work with him to turn him into a solid bottom pairing guy. Then w elect him go for players that are worse?
We didn't replace Boro with Gudbranson because they don't play the same side and are opposite handed. Boro was replaced internally by Wolanin + Brannstrom and externally, to some extent, by Reilly. There shouldn't be much comparison between the two.

Again, Gudbranson is playing too many minutes because our defensive depth on the right side is sad. On a better team he's your #6 or #7 playing around 12-13 minutes per night at EV and around 2-3 minutes of PK aka 14-16 minutes per night and not 19+ like he is now. His usage is a big problem but comparing him to Boro makes no sense. Compare him to Reilly, Wolanin and Brannstrom instead.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't think it would matter who this organization brought in for the 3rd pairing, this fan base would hate on them because they mostly want PMD on every pair which isn't really practical unless they are good enough to do both like Shea Weber. You need those guys who can throw hard hits, who can block a lot of shots, who can play on the PK, who can win board battles & clear the front of the net & play a lot of hard minutes, all those things that fans don't give a crap about, but coaches do. Fans want players who can score goals, not players who prevent goals, that they could care less about.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
I don't think it would matter who this organization brought in for the 3rd pairing, this fan base would hate on them because they mostly want PMD on every pair which isn't really practical unless they are good enough to do both like Shea Weber. You need those guys who can throw hard hits, who can block a lot of shots, who can play on the PK, who can win board battles & clear the front of the net & play a lot of hard minutes, all those things that fans don't give a crap about, but coaches do. Fans want players who can score goals, not players who prevent goals, that they could care less about.

I hear you, but I do think a lot of us hardcore fans appreciate good consistent shutdown guys. I still dream of a prime Phillips Volchenkov pairing. They are harder to find than most think and you’re right that some fans may not have true appreciation of guys like that when we have them. But enough of the likes of Gryba, Boro, Gud. They may be a temporary solution to get by, but not what a contending team should rely upon. I’m optimistic that Sanderson and JBD will pan out and help prevent goals for years to come. Even Kleven too!

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I hear you, but I do think a lot of us hardcore fans appreciate good consistent shutdown guys. I still dream of a prime Phillips Volchenkov pairing. They are harder to find than most think and you’re right that some fans may not have true appreciation of guys like that when we have them. But enough of the likes of Gryba, Boro, Gud. They may be a temporary solution to get by, but not what a contending team should rely upon. I’m optimistic that Sanderson and JBD will pan out and help prevent goals for years to come. Even Kleven too!

I love me a good defensive dman.

My issue is with guys who are constantly playing in their zone cuz they can't get the puck out being labeled 'shut down stay at home dmen'

Of course they're staying at home. They can't leave that end of the ice if their lives depended on it.

Reactions: topshelf15 and H2O

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We didn't replace Boro with Gudbranson because they don't play the same side and are opposite handed. Boro was replaced internally by Wolanin + Brannstrom and externally, to some extent, by Reilly. There shouldn't be much comparison between the two.

Again, Gudbranson is playing too many minutes because our defensive depth on the right side is sad. On a better team he's your #6 or #7 playing around 12-13 minutes per night at EV and around 2-3 minutes of PK aka 14-16 minutes per night and not 19+ like he is now. His usage is a big problem but comparing him to Boro makes no sense. Compare him to Reilly, Wolanin and Brannstrom instead.
Playing him 19 minutes vs 15 minutes won’t make him look any better or worse.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
There will always be guys that “are just there until someone better comes along.” Truth is management cover those types of players and think they’re valuable. Even when competitive

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
You think gudbrannson is better than boro? Why. How. In what way.

I think the comment is coming off of the fact that fans hated Boro and now are saying they want him back, despite the fact that he won't make the team better. Incessant whining.

I like what Gudbranson brings to the team right now, and he didn't cost much to get. Hoping Sanderson and Kleven join the team soon enough to have that toughness but with mobility and more transition to their game. That being said, when Gudbranson has the puck, he makes the right play most of the time. When he needs to chase the puck and forecheckers though...he's usually behind the play. But I'll take him in that "defend the kids" role he's taken on too.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I want this oaf off the team as soon as possible.

That said, we clearly need to replace him with another big body who doesn't suck. Which is nearly impossible.

Given that he is from Ottawa, i consider it an inevitability he ends up re-signed.

Edit: 2021 offseason options. Larsson, Hamonic, Savard, Hamilton, Johns,

Hamilton isn't coming here and doesn't have the mean streak Gudbranson brings. I think Larsson might be the best of the rest.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Agreed, but we have a ways to go before those guys & this team will be contending, although a lot of the pieces IMO are coming together. Until then they have these transition pieces which is less than optimal. But that's another good point, we all hope guys like Sanderson work out & I think he will, but there are no guarantees with young players & how they actually turn out.

Reactions: H2O

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think the comment is coming off of the fact that fans hated Boro and now are saying they want him back, despite the fact that he won't make the team better. Incessant whining.

I like what Gudbranson brings to the team right now, and he didn't cost much to get. Hoping Sanderson and Kleven join the team soon enough to have that toughness but with mobility and more transition to their game. That being said, when Gudbranson has the puck, he makes the right play most of the time. When he needs to chase the puck and forecheckers though...he's usually behind the play. But I'll take him in that "defend the kids" role he's taken on too.
I didn’t like stepan either but if we bring back Corey Locke out of retirement to replace him then yeah.... give me stepan

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You think Coburn is better?

I don't see that...Gud is involved and makes more plays IMO.

Neither is a great option but to me the right one is still in the lineup. Would be fine to see Brown get in again too...was hoping he was a diamond in the rough that would outperform expectations.

I do think Coburn is better .. I find him steadier. I think he reads the play better and jumps up better. I think he moves the puck better. He definitely skates better

Reactions: Emrasie

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

I know which one I take.
Boro is back to being Boro this year. 3rd pairing guy at best; 1 pt in 17 games averaging around 13 minutes a night. Gudbranson is a marginal NHLer but so is Boro. On a good team neither one would play more than the occasional game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad