Erik Gudbranson as a Florida Panther

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Howdy ho greetings and salutations from the Canucks board.

First of all, sorry to bother you fine folks with your past players.

I came to ask;
- how you Panther fans remember Gudbranson?
- what did he do well, what did he do not so well?
- he was playing big minutes during that playoff year, how did he fair there?
- how the trade is perceived now and how you felt about it when it happened?

Anything else you would like to chime in on one of the most handsome men in all of hockey?

0722-feat-erik-gudbranson-2-jpg.jpg

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Speaking for myself, I remember him for a few hits. I remember how bad he was defensively and offensively. I remember how he made the Forsberg for Erat trade a total waste for the Caps, that was pretty neat.

He was rough in front of the net so forwards wouldn't stand there which helped with rebound goals. But usually, forwads would just play slightly higher and get their chances there. Everything else was underwhelming or awful. He did fight well and have a few really good hit.

It was the best hockey he played and has ever played.

I was very happy and I am still very happy. I have no hard feeling towards the guy, so I'm glad you gave him lots of money. I pray that Tallon never trades for him.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Good guy, bad player.
Couple of hits, couple of mistakes. A bottom pairing dman asked to play big minutes. He played pretty well in that sense.
Even though Mascherin is gone, the trade is still a win for the Cats. Moreover, the recent contract extension for Guds, that $4mil or something like that for three years is an god awful albatross. But the Nuckles are tanking so I guess they'll waive that as a win. I was stoked when Guds got the boot, he will never that solid defensive dman which half of the ppl here thinks he already is. lol. The guy probably got the horse whisperer treatment from Tallon with his 300-games speech and Erik is under the impression that he is a stud of a dman who just got the Calculator-treatment. The guy is just milking his #3 overall draft pick status and someone with a calculator figured that out (finally) which Dale wouldn't/couldn't.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Howdy ho greetings and salutations from the Canucks board.

First of all, sorry to bother you fine folks with your past players.

I came to ask;

Anything else you would like to chime in on one of the most handsome men in all of hockey?

1. I remember him as the guy who Dale took first thinking he was the next Chris Pronger (laughing on the outside, dying on the inside cause I knew it wouldn't end well with this guy with the direction the league was going)
2. He fought well. He hockey'd not so well
3. Got exposed frequently
4. Felt bad cause we lost a character guy, but knew we could never win a cup with him. Also knew his upcoming contract was going to be terrible, so I felt like it was the right thing moving forward.
5. Great guy. Crappy hockey player. Glad he's gone. Love what McCann brings over EG any day of the week.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I like him. I’ve always liked him. He reminds me of the hockey I remember watching growing up. Unfortunately the NHL has turned into Disney on ice and that’s not his game.

Him being a d-zone turnstile is taking a heavy toll on his body since he can't pull a single full, healthy season together. Probably would be a lot healthier if he had to face guys like Stevens, Barnaby and Kasparaitis on the ice.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
He's never been better than a bottom pairing defenseman but somehow duped Dale Tallon into believing he's a tough-as-nails, stay-at-home type guy.

Honestly his draft high draft position is the only thing that brought his career any life. If he was drafted in the 2nd round or later he would have had a few cups of coffee and got sent down permanently to the AHL and eventually Europe.

Couldn't skate it out of the zone; couldn't pass it out of the zone; could only occasionally use the boards to get it out of the zone; mostly irrelevant in transition and neutral zone play; no impact offensively whatsoever.

He occasionally roughed up guys in the corners or in front of the net and had "intangibles."

His absence is addition by subtraction, and that's not even taking into account that insane contract he's signed to or Jared McCann.

Last edited:

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Everyone is pretty much spot on.

I loved how tough he was. Some nights he seemed liked the only one who cared that we were getting destroyed that particular night. Good character/locker room and toughness is what is missed the most, not defense.

The Devils playoffs were the best hockey I thought he played and was disappointing in the Islanders playoffs.

Since the trade, I've tried to watch a number of Canucks games and he doesn't impress. I remember him and McCann going at it one game and we ended up scoring off it. I agree that his draft position helped him get that big contract.

-ghoste

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
@PuckMunchkin His play was inconsistent for those first few years but when everyone was playing the tight game, he was one of our best pieces. (In other words, honestly- if we ever lost because of him, we didnt just lose because of him)

Aside from his being our biggest set of nutz, he was solid in the playoffs. So much so I could over look certain weaknesses and inconsistencies and I was one who did not want him off the team. Like another Dan Girardi that never got to prove himself as much and play in as many playoff series.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
He's never been better than a bottom pairing defenseman but somehow duped Dale Tallon into believing he's a tough-as-nails, stay-at-home type guy.

Honestly his draft high draft position is the only thing that brought his career any life. If he was drafted in the 2nd round or later he would have had a few cups of coffee and got sent down permanently to the AHL and eventually Europe.

Couldn't skate it out of the zone; couldn't pass it out of the zone; could only occasionally use the boards to get it out of the zone; mostly irrelevant in transition and neutral zone play; no impact offensively whatsoever.

He occasionally roughed up guys in the corners or in front of the net and had "intangibles."

His absence is addition by subtraction, and that's not even taking into account that insane contract he's signed to or Jared McCann.
This is exactly him, 2 years later. Except he has been unavailable 50% of the time due to injury.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I thought he started to look "comfortable" his last year here. Was given more minutes and IMO wasn't going to be a staple of the defense but at the same time wasn't a negative imo. Just a guy you keep around until his asking price became too much.

IMO he was overrated as a net deterrent as guys like Gallagher would beat him to the net for those dirty goals.
Great fighter and learned over the years when to go for the big hits. Thought he went from terrible to below average on puck handling from year 1 to final year.

Definitely agree his draft pedigree is the reason why he got 4mil a year. Really is a 2-3 mil player.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Like Clint said, if he was a 2nd rounder, he would be out of the league by now. I couldnt understand how he got that extension from the Canucks. Real nice guy, tough as nails, but nothing more than a 6/7 Dman. I remember when some were preaching that he and Kulikov were vital pieces to our teams future.
Again, I admit to being one, especially after the Islanders series. They both, turned into what we were waiting years for then we get rid of them the momwnt they show LOL if they werent a success anywhere else, whatever, but for this team in that system, they left on a great note.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Like Clint said, if he was a 2nd rounder, he would be out of the league by now. I couldnt understand how he got that extension from the Canucks. Real nice guy, tough as nails, but nothing more than a 6/7 Dman. I remember when some were preaching that he and Kulikov were vital pieces to our teams future.

In fairness, Kulikov looked like a legit stud before the 12/13 lockout. He stepped in as a defenseman immediately at 18 years who could skate fast and hit hard. For some reason after the lockout something happened to him.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Are we allowed to talk about Gudbranson again? :laugh:

Rather him than Mathieu Biron. You ain't seen hatred for a Panthers dman unless you were here during the Biron days.

I know I broke one of the old rules never to mention the name again

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
In fairness, Kulikov looked like a legit stud before the 12/13 lockout. He stepped in as a defenseman immediately at 18 years who could skate fast and hit hard. For some reason after the lockout something happened to him.

Remember when the main boards were split on comparing Kulikov and Subban?
Wasn't just Panther fans who thought Kulikov was going to be a stud early on.
Lost any offensive potential and his shot would hit the roof rafters if the glass wasn't in the way.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

I liked Kuli while he was here, and thought he was going to be a very good top 4 Dman for us, it just never worked out for some reason. No regrets, but I am glad that Tallon never signed him long term.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Everyone is pretty much spot on.

I loved how tough he was. Some nights he seemed liked the only one who cared that we were getting destroyed that particular night. Good character/locker room and toughness is what is missed the most, not defense.

The Devils playoffs were the best hockey I thought he played and was disappointing in the Islanders playoffs.

Since the trade, I've tried to watch a number of Canucks games and he doesn't impress. I remember him and McCann going at it one game and we ended up scoring off it. I agree that his draft position helped him get that big contract.

-ghoste

yup this is pretty much what I remember from him as far as best hockey. Which btw wasn't that his rookie season?

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I guess I’ll be the first to admit they liked Gudbranson lol.

I was sad to see him go but the return we got was good.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Rather him than Mathieu Biron. You ain't seen hatred for a Panthers dman unless you were here during the Biron days.

I know I broke one of the old rules never to mention the name again

I very, very vaguely remember something about a rubber chicken. I thought those jokes were dumb back then but I kind of miss that old crowd...

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad