Erik Gudbranson as a Florida Panther

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Being a pro doesn't AUTOMATICALLY make you a better talent evaluator. For example, Michael Jordan is one of the worst talent evaluator ever.

However, they do know the GAME better than any of us.

Reactions: IM Clutcm

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Being a pro doesn't AUTOMATICALLY make you a better talent evaluator. For example, Michael Jordan is one of the worst talent evaluator ever.

However, they do know the GAME better than any of us.

Better than who?

Speak for yourself. Some of us have played organized ice hockey for over 20 years and with/against pros...

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Mike Milbury has probably forgotten more about the game than we’ll ever know.
He has definitely seen more, but when were looking at the same thing were coming to different conclusions, as evident by the frustrating crap that comes from his mouth...Steve Valiquette is an analyst for the Rangers, the way he talks, sometimes it sounds like he never played in goal at all, let alone professionally!

Professional Kevin Dineen did stick my bummed knee 40 yr old fav all time player on the checking line for regular shifts.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
The hit against the Hawks(?) was the high point for me.

Watching him ice the puck got very old very quick.

That was a beautiful hit. Think that was the game that made me think they could make the playoffs and possibly make some noise. Not just cause of the hit, but we took care of business against a damn good team.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Not even what I said at all.

But Michael Jordan is a terrible GM. He really is. Kwame Brown is on his head. The multiple seasons of futility are on him.

As great as he was (GOAT IMO), he is all time bad GM tier.

Semantics.

So amongst his peers MJ is a bad evaluator of talent. That would still make him a professional in his field who’s track record is still better than ours.

Just so we’re clear where our opinions sit on the totem pole. Yes, a poor professional evaluators talent is still MILES better than us at what they do. Their opinions hold OCEANS more water at ANY table.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Not even what I said at all.

But Michael Jordan is a terrible GM. He really is. Kwame Brown is on his head. The multiple seasons of futility are on him.

As great as he was (GOAT IMO), he is all time bad GM tier.
Might Coaches Gretzky and Trottier have been better examples?

...and no, I dont think my opinion in the game of hockey is more valid than that of those two.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Semantics.

So amongst his peers MJ is a bad evaluator of talent. That would still make him a professional in his field who’s track record is still better than ours.

Just so we’re clear where our opinions sit on the totem pole. Yes, a poor professional evaluators talent is still MILES better than us at what they do. Their opinions hold OCEANS more water at ANY table.
...if you care more about who's right than what's right...

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Semantics.

Right, but the original discussion was in relation to Willie Mitchell and how since he was a player his opinion would hold more weight by default. In the game of hockey...absolutely...and I loved Willie. Great Captain.

My counter was just because you played, doesnt make you a better talent evaluator. Let's take Daryl Morey of the Houston Rockets. He didnt play at all. Yet, he has assembled a team through talent evaluating (and going ALL IN on Harden), he has achieved success than MJ has not even come close to sniffing as a GM.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Right, but the original discussion was in relation to Willie Mitchell and how since he was a player his opinion would hold more weight by default. In the game of hockey...absolutely...and I loved Willie. Great Captain.

My counter was just because you played, doesnt make you a better talent evaluator. Let's take Daryl Morey of the Houston Rockets. He didnt play at all. Yet, he has assembled a team through talent evaluating (and going ALL IN on Harden), he has achieved success than MJ has not even come close to sniffing as a GM.

The original topic was Willie’s opinion of Guds. A very good defender that was paired with Guds. Played with the man.

Played with him... you don’t think the man might have a clue about what he’s talking about? MJ, Harden and the NBA aside?

Let’s stick with Willie Mitchell and why his opinion of Guds might be off.

That’s the topic here. Go!

Reactions: CHGoalie27

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
The original topic was Willie’s opinion of Guds. A very good defender that was paired with Guds. Played with the man.

Played with him... you don’t think the man might have a clue about what he’s talking about? MJ, Harden and the NBA aside?

That's not what we disagreed with you about though lol

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

There’s another angle about Willie Mitchell. He seems to have become very embittered with the Panthers and his emotions seemed to get the best of him at times. Therefore, his opinion went from fact/experience based to too much emotion based self serving propaganda. It became about Willie, not what or who he was opining about.

Reactions: Rahooji

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad