Erik Condra's role

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think we should get rid of this guy.

We already have a 4th line RW in Neil, no need for a second one.

People are gonna say: "Ya but he's such a good PKer !!!111". He's not that good a PKer guys. And when did PKing even become some kind of elite skill that's so unique and rarely seen. It's a dime a dozen skill in players. We have guys like Pageau, Lazar, Zibanejad, Ryan, Macarthur, Turris, Grant, Stone that can all provide relative good PKing on our team.

He's an offensive blackhole, and we don't need anymore of those, already having Greening and Neil on the team. I sincerely hope we don't see this guy in our lineup next year.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
If you are getting rid of the teams best penalty killer, you better have a replacement ready that can actually make the lineup. Grant and Pageau can't PK from Bingo.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Unfortunately Neil isn't our 4th line RW either. He should be. But he isn't.

Condra will probably be passed by soon from one our developing prospects, but he's a good soldier, that coaches dont mind playing. But yes, hopefully someone can steal his role soon, or who knows, he may even develop more this year.

But regarding Neil. Yes he may have lined up with our even strength 3rd liners, and had his line match up, often successfully, against some other teams top lines. That's because they gave the coach the energy and physicality the coach wants.

But here's the players that had less avg time on ice than Neil this year: Condra, Da Costa, Pageau, Grant, and Kassian. Clearly, with Neils 11-12 mins a game, he was getting 4th line ice time. As he always has. And like so many coaches in the league love to do, every one of our coaches so far too in fact, he gets time standing in front of the net screening on the pp where there are many goals caused by his screen that he gets no points for. Im gonna bet you will find at least a dozen such goals a year.

Neil is and has always been a 4th liner, a role player, an important role player, a standard bearer for the role in fact where people wish they had a Chris Neil type player, who is one of our leaders, the type that all fans crave for demanding more from his teammates.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
Why get rid of him? I can't site directly but I remember reading some blog posts breaking down Condra's advanced statistics. He seems to have good with/without you's and Corsi in general, plus he is greak on the PK.

Every team needs good bottom 6 plays, Condra isn't blocking anyone. Neil on the other hand despite his "intangibles" is tangibly horrible across the board.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Condra is useless. Our good PK numbers two years ago was largely a fluke and due to goaltending aberrations.

He can't score goals, he can't make passes, he doesn't have a great shot, he's not fast, he's not physical, he doesn't fight, he's negligibly better than Grant/Pageau on the PK but doesn't win faceoffs, he has zero upside/potential.

No idea what he's doing on anything but a bad team's fourth line, Jesse Winchester style.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
Silfverberg was better than condra at Penalty killing. Condra is only needed cuz we traded silfverberg

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Useless player when he has the puck, can't pass or shoot so there goes the puck possession argument. He is also one of the key reasons why this team doesn't have good offensive support in the bot 6. Smith and whichever prospect(s) are up with the big team is our secondary scoring. Neil, greening and condra are the anchors, that contribute nothing and the bonehead coaching this team loves them.

To put it into perspective, smith had 13 goals the other 3 combined for 20. :laugh:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Silfverberg was better than condra at Penalty killing. Condra is only needed cuz we traded silfverberg

Silfverberg is the most incredible elite but average player the Sens have ever had.

Condra is just a good defensive player, he doesn't do anything special, but he's smart, doesn't make many mistakes and gets the job done. He's a good glue guy, can fill in when needed in other roles and doesn't hurt the team, but excels when used as a checking, penalty killer.

I like Condra, he's cheap and reliable. I don't think it hurts the Sens to keep him around at all until somebody else proves they do what he does better and isn't going to demand millions to do it.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
For clarification's sake, who are our 1st-to-3rd line RW's?

IMO: Ryan = 1st ; Stone = 3rd, potential 2nd ; Condra = 4th ; Neil = 4th ; Lazar = 3rd, potential 2nd.

Stone may be a 2nd by the end of the season, but who knows. A lot of good needs to happen for that to occur.

If you are getting rid of the teams best penalty killer, you better have a replacement ready that can actually make the lineup. Grant and Pageau can't PK from Bingo.

Grant and Pageau are 2 of 8 PKers I named.

That leaves 6 PKers, without the Spezza return, which may very well include a potential PKer.

6 PKers = 3 different PK lines. Seems sufficient ;)

Why get rid of him? I can't site directly but I remember reading some blog posts breaking down Condra's advanced statistics. He seems to have good with/without you's and Corsi in general, plus he is greak on the PK.

Every team needs good bottom 6 plays, Condra isn't blocking anyone. Neil on the other hand despite his "intangibles" is tangibly horrible across the board.

You have to choose one or the other. Both are RWs, and more precisely, both are 4th line RWs.

If both are on the same team, one third of your bottom six will be offensively inept. You can't have Neil and Condra on separate lines.

It hurts too much.

Useless player when he has the puck, can't pass or shoot so there goes the puck possession argument. He is also one of the key reasons why this team doesn't have good offensive support in the bot 6. Smith and whichever prospect(s) are up with the big team is our secondary scoring. Neil, greening and condra are the anchors, that contribute nothing and the bonehead coaching this team loves them.

To put it into perspective, smith had 13 goals the other 3 combined for 20. :laugh:

Nail

|
|
|
|
_

^
Head

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
He's the guy in the NHL that you straight up compare yourself to and say "I could have made the NHL" lol

WhiteLight*

Condra was bad last year, and he was STILL the 3rd best defensive forward on the Sens behind Turris and MacArthur.

He's scored 25 points in the past; if he does that again, he's a great 3rd liner. If not, he's a great 4th liner.

I don't know why the Sens would eliminate a great 4th line RW from their team when they have a horrible 4th line RW in Neil. Get rid of the bad one, keep the good one that also contributes on special teams

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Condra is a player you need like a Dominic Moore. He plays the game very smart, excellent puck possession and cycling player. A perfect 4th liner. What's concerning is his lack of finishing though.

With that being said, Lazar could make Condra expendable.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Condra is a player you need like a Dominic Moore. He plays the game very smart, excellent puck possession and cycling player. A perfect 4th liner. What's concerning is his lack of finishing though.

With that being said, Lazar could make Condra expendable.

Agreed, but let's wait until Lazar ACTUALLY makes Condra expendable before dumping him.

What would we even get in a Condra trade, anyways? 4th rounder at best? Shoot, even at his worst, he has more value as a 13th forward/ injury replacement guy who can step into the lineup without missing a beat, than an extra 4th round pick would.

The Fuhr*

I'd rather have Condra then Neil...

Ryan
Vet RW
Stone
Condra

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
I think we should get rid of this guy.

We already have a 4th line RW in Neil, no need for a second one.

People are gonna say: "Ya but he's such a good PKer !!!111". He's not that good a PKer guys. And when did PKing even become some kind of elite skill that's so unique and rarely seen. It's a dime a dozen skill in players. We have guys like Pageau, Lazar, Zibanejad, Ryan, Macarthur, Turris, Grant, Stone that can all provide relative good PKing on our team.

He's an offensive blackhole, and we don't need anymore of those, already having Greening and Neil on the team. I sincerely hope we don't see this guy in our lineup next year.

What defensive minded guys were offensive dynamos? SORRY everybody can't tend toward the offensive part of the game. So many fans see OFFENCE as the only part of the game. Condra is valuable defensively. Better if he could add some secondary scoring. He misses the net a lot. He's a professional! I bet he works his ass this summer trying to improve this.

This is the same argument with Karlsson. Missing one major part of the game. Just that for the narrow minded and those who know little about the game, offence is obvious where defence is subtle.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Condra's role is to chew up minutes without hurting the team. If he does that, then he is full value for his contract. At the point where a young prospect surpasses him he will be gone, but until that time he is fine in a limited role.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Condra is the cooler. Whatever line he plays on cools off. I get that he plays well defensively and that he PKs but the objective of the game is to put the puck in the other team's net and whatever line he plays on cannot do that because he is inept at the game in the offensive end. This team will never be competitive with a Condra type player in the lineup.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Condra is the cooler. Whatever line he plays on cools off. I get that he plays well defensively and that he PKs but the objective of the game is to put the puck in the other team's net and whatever line he plays on cannot do that because he is inept at the game in the offensive end. This team will never be competitive with a Condra type player in the lineup.

One player is the difference between competitive or not. Are you kidding?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad