Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Can we hold off on judging Brannstrom as a finished product. He just turned 20 a couple months ago. Thomas Chabot was playing in the Q at the same age.

No one is judging Brannstrom as a finished product, every single person has said that in this thread. Tomas Chabot was certainly not playing in the Q in his 20 year old season either. He had shown way more than Brannstrom its not really close either.

People here are judging Brannstrom too soon. The guy JUST turned 20.

Again, what people are saying is he hasnt shown elite ability in any facet through 20 games. You expect to see glimpses of high end talent, there hasnt been any. Thats really all people are saying. He is clearly a long way away from being a finished product but as a small skilled player you expect to see something.

I think he needs to go down and needs to get his confidence up playing with a little more time and space.

Reactions: DrEasy and h2

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I didn’t say “you people”. Maybe I should have prefaced it with “some people”

The hockey writers are still high on him and I think we can make further judgements they same time next year.

He should be in B-town for now.

Doesn't matter which "people". I'm fine with people writing him off. Then we can debate it, and perhaps look back in a couple of years and laugh.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
No one is judging Brannstrom as a finished product, every single person has said that in this thread. Tomas Chabot was certainly not playing in the Q in his 20 year old season either. He had shown way more than Brannstrom its not really close either.

Again, what people are saying is he hasnt shown elite ability in any facet through 20 games. You expect to see glimpses of high end talent, there hasnt been any. Thats really all people are saying. He is clearly a long way away from being a finished product but as a small skilled player you expect to see something.

I think he needs to go down and needs to get his confidence up playing with a little more time and space.

Exactly this. I’m not writing off Brannstrom yet, but his performance hasn’t been good at all thus far. I’m convinced we are ruining his potential unless he’s sent down.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Bert,

Chabot turned 20 in January 2017 while playing in the Q. Brannstrom turned 20 during camp this year.

Reactions: NB613 and Sweatred

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
He should be in Belleville.
Dorian can’t let the Politics of the Stone trade ruin Brannstrom.

His offensive confidence has taken a MASSIVE hit. Bring up Lajoie who projects as a #6/7 D at the NHL level and let Brannstrom do his thing in the AHL.

Last thing Ottawa needs is another Lazar.

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He should be in Belleville.
Dorian can’t let the Politics of the Stone trade ruin Brannstrom.

His offensive confidence has taken a MASSIVE hit. Bring up Lajoie who projects as a #6/7 D at the NHL level and let Brannstrom do his thing in the AHL.

Last thing Ottawa needs is another Lazar.
Lazar wasn’t ruined, he never had it in my opinion.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
People here are judging Brannstrom too soon. The guy JUST turned 20.

True, we should give him time as he is still young, and last year in the AHL he was outstanding.

But...I haven't seen anything that would give me hope. That is my main concern

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Lazar wasn’t ruined, he never had it in my opinion.
I disagree, I’m of the belief that if Ottawa returned him for his D+2 season... he would have panned out as at least an NHL player.
He didn’t even have a good NHL camp, I still don’t know how he made the team.

Reactions: h2

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
It is probably very easy to hate on Brannstrom right now, simply because he is probably the only legitimate asset we received in return for Stone. That hurts, without a doubt. However I still do like the kid, I find he has the right personality to succeed eventually and does possess above average hockey IQ and athletic ability.

Will he ever be "elite", probably not, because as some have already mentioned, we would have seen glimpses of it by now. We saw it with a young Karlsson, and we saw it with a young Chabot; they had that ability to get noticed on the ice, for the right reasons, whether their skating ability or vision.

Unfortunately Brannstrom has not shown any of that and simply looks like a kid who lost his confidence. Some time in the AHL will help him and he will come back even better, in my opinon.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I disagree, I’m of the belief that if Ottawa returned him for his D+2 season... he would have panned out as at least an NHL player.
He didn’t even have a good NHL camp, I still don’t know how he made the team.

He was Bryan Murray's golden boy. They couldn't even resist in keeping him in the AHL for any extended periods.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I've never been a fan of Brannstrom & still think they should trade him while his value is high. I don't ever see him becoming an elite defenceman like so many on here have said he is or will become. Ottawa has a few good young prospects that may never be part of the future team & should move a couple to bring in a good young partner for Chabot.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Bert,

Chabot turned 20 in January 2017 while playing in the Q. Brannstrom turned 20 during camp this year.

True but ... Dec 31 is the cut off . If Chabot was 20 ahead of Dec 31 , he would most likely be in the same boat as Brannstrom as far as AHL/NHL. CHL / NHL agreement applies with Chabot.

Brannstrom has been a very highly touted prospect. As a 5'9 player at any position in the NHL you need High IQ which I believe he has , agility which he has and speed which he lacks. That can be overcome to a degree but it takes work primarily in the off season. His speed is less of an issue outside the NHL. I do not believe he is anywhere close to a Chabot level prospect. Dorion will be a huge supporter in his corner but .. He will have to go some to play ahead of Wolanin presuming he recovers 100% and as a bottom pair D .. I would rather have a different type of defender personally.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I've never been a fan of Brannstrom & still think they should trade him while his value is high. I don't ever see him becoming an elite defenceman like so many on here have said he is or will become. Ottawa has a few good young prospects that may never be part of the future team & should move a couple to bring in a good young partner for Chabot.

I'm not far behind you on this.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think he's been good in terms of physical ability but he is also having a hard time finding his rhythm and getting used to the pace.

Drive him into the ground, he'll come back stronger and hungrier next season.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I said it since beginning of this thread , he needed to be in Belleville this season for multiple reasons. They are hurting him more with every game they keep him up here. I don't care if we get some waiver wire hack to fill his roll, he needs to get to the AHL fast and work on his game, build confidence and find his offense once again down their or this kid is going to be a 5-6th d-man at this rate. Is not Brannstrom's fault PD threw him on a team where no rookie is going to succeed with this line-up. He had no business letting him on team other than a few games.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I feel like ive seen some flashes of the skills that have made him highly touted, but he sure looks to be exactly in the situation where we would say he would benefit from more development.

If Wolanin was here, and EB was working on his pro game in Belleville as seemed to be the plan, im sure there would be a large number of us posting that he s ready, why not bring him up, how can you play Hainsey and Boro over him, the kids are alright let them develop here.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I feel like ive seen some flashes of the skills that have made him highly touted, but he sure looks to be exactly in the situation where we would say he would benefit from more development.

If Wolanin was here, and EB was working on his pro game in Belleville as seemed to be the plan, im sure there would be a large number of us posting that he s ready, why not bring him up, how can you play Hainsey and Boro over him, the kids are alright let them develop here.

Probably better for Wolanin that it worked out as it has (except for the injury) ... If he makes the team ahead of Brannstrom ..IMO he would have been under extra scrutiny and pressure coming from Dorion to get Brannstrom up here. Also could give Lajoie more of a chance and a look if Brannstrom is sent down. Anyway its no shame on Brannstrom.. Its a tough position to play and there are a ton of little things to learn

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
That's a good point about the pressure on Wolanin, hopefully he gets a chance to establish himself when he returns. Or even better i guess that EB has re-established himself by then making it a tough decision

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's a good point about the pressure on Wolanin, hopefully he gets a chance to establish himself when he returns. Or even better i guess that EB has re-established himself by then making it a tough decision
His natural ability takes over, pretty different situation as he is older and way more polished. I really dont think Wolanin would have had any issues with the pressure or role he would have been given. He was ready its very unfortunate for both him and Brannstrom with how this has turned out thus far. Hopefullly the organization is patient with both of them.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This guy has absolutely shown elite skill. 2-3 of his bombs going in and we would be having different discussion.

He also should absolutely be in the AHL killing it and not in the NHL. This much has always been obvious. I see Ryan Ellis ability in him no doubt about it.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just needs confidence - that comes with time.

People actually wrote Hedman off because he didn’t explode into the league right away.

Patience is required here.

That's a very good point on Hedman. People were whispering "bust" about him for about two years straight before he became the guy we see now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad