Erie Otters 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernOtter

Jan 3, 2015
Biggest priority now is a 3-4 defender.
Guy from Sarnia on here weeks back was sure Erie was already going to add a top 4 guy.
That's the first priority. After that I would look to add another top 9 forward. Doesn't have to be a flashy name but a guy that can add some offense to the 3rd line would help.
We would need a left handed D right? Guelph and Sudbury have options if that's the case. Not too many other options right since we can't get an OA?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Biggest priority now is a 3-4 defender.
Guy from Sarnia on here weeks back was sure Erie was already going to add a top 4 guy.
That's the first priority. After that I would look to add another top 9 forward. Doesn't have to be a flashy name but a guy that can add some offense to the 3rd line would help.

Capobianco & Dunda fit the description

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
I'm trying to think of the last time an OHL team traded back-to-back first-round picks in one season--2009 Barrie with O'Connor and Strome? The 2009 Colts were an entertaining Frankenstein's monster of a team, but they're also a reminder that even the most stacked team isn't a sure thing. I would be surprised if the Otters move both McShane and Lodnia, let alone both in the same deal.

Look for those 2022 and 2023 2nds and the handful of 3rds the Otters still have to go, though. You can flip Raddysh in the off-season to jump-start the rebuild.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I'm trying to think of the last time an OHL team traded back-to-back first-round picks in one season--2009 Barrie with O'Connor and Strome? The 2009 Colts were an entertaining Frankenstein's monster of a team, but they're also a reminder that even the most stacked team isn't a sure thing. I would be surprised if the Otters move both McShane and Lodnia, let alone both in the same deal.

Look for those 2022 and 2023 2nds and the handful of 3rds the Otters still have to go, though. You can flip Raddysh in the off-season to jump-start the rebuild.

Wouldn't expect both Lodnia and McShane to be moved

Ryan Martin or Wainman will be on the block as well

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Cernak and Team Slovakia eliminated in the quarterfinals against Sweden today. Possible Cernak could play Wednesday against Niagara?

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Foegele practiced yesterday, as expected.
He will be in the lineup tonight and will wear #37 (odd choice by Martin holds the #3 he wore in Kingston)

Timpano was at practice yesterday. He did not practice last week leading up to the games and they announced the injury as upper body, minor, and more or less just resting him for precaution and for him to get to 100% as he had been playing through it for a bit and it was nagging him. Not sure what the injury was or is but have to imagine him being back on the ice is a great sign. Potentially see him back in the lineup tonight

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Couldn't make it to the game due to the weather, but it sounded like Foegele did pretty well. He is the type of player we need to go deep. Did Cernak remain in Montreal? He didn't play. Overall, how did they look?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I wasn't all that impressed with Erie tonight despite the score, sloppy play. Niagara missed a couple good scoring chances, Corneil literally missed an open net.

Erie needs another dman, even after Cernak returns.

Foegele was terrific though, excellent addition.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I wasn't all that impressed with Erie tonight despite the score, sloppy play. Niagara missed a couple good scoring chances, Corneil literally missed an open net.

Erie needs another dman, even after Cernak returns.

Foegele was terrific though, excellent addition.

We already know they need another defender. And the way Brown has talked, appears he knows that and is going to try all he can to add that.
Martin and Wainman aren't ready for the load. Bryne and Sambrook are better served as the 3rd pairing.

Sloppy or not, you win 7-2 without 3 of your top 4 players and coach and a new addition in Foegele just getting his feet wet. I'll take it

Foegele is going to be a stud if centering Raddysh and Debrincat. Huge pickup especially for the price it cost

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Watching the highlights, it looks like Foegele has some pretty good speed. He went right to the net. I am really, really impressed with him. It looks like a real good pick up for us.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Watching the highlights, it looks like Foegele has some pretty good speed. He went right to the net. I am really, really impressed with him. It looks like a real good pick up for us.

his biggest attributes are his skating (long strides, fast, and strong on his skates) and his 200 foot game that includes high energy. He also has offensive ability that in an Erie system could see his numbers spike quickly.
This is an insurance move for Brown. Probably a guy that can average 1.5 points per game here. Top 6 center with size and plays a full game. Cirelli is basically the same player and I would argue Foegele as more gifts offensively, Cirelli more consistency defensively and more experience in the big moments. But essentially the same type of players.
This allows Brown to not get desperate come deadline time. He no longer NEEDS to overpay for Cirelli by sending Lodnia to Oshawa unless he of course wants to. But their focus should now turn to defense.
You basically got a Cirelli type player who just is much more under the radar (and hasnt played in those big games) for Neumann and a 3rd compared to Cirelli for Lodnia. Even if Cirelli is a slight upgrade, keeping Lodnia is more important to this team's depth now and the team's future. I would argue we are better with Foegele and Lodnia compared to Cirelli and Neumann.

Foegele reminds me of a Remi Elie type. However, he is better on his skates and faster. Elie also more of a board player where as Foegele seems to have more skills to his offensive game. But both come ready to compete

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
his biggest attributes are his skating (long strides, fast, and strong on his skates) and his 200 foot game that includes high energy. He also has offensive ability that in an Erie system could see his numbers spike quickly.
This is an insurance move for Brown. Probably a guy that can average 1.5 points per game here. Top 6 center with size and plays a full game. Cirelli is basically the same player and I would argue Foegele as more gifts offensively, Cirelli more consistency defensively and more experience in the big moments. But essentially the same type of players.
This allows Brown to not get desperate come deadline time. He no longer NEEDS to overpay for Cirelli by sending Lodnia to Oshawa unless he of course wants to. But their focus should now turn to defense.
You basically got a Cirelli type player who just is much more under the radar (and hasnt played in those big games) for Neumann and a 3rd compared to Cirelli for Lodnia. Even if Cirelli is a slight upgrade, keeping Lodnia is more important to this team's depth now and the team's future. I would argue we are better with Foegele and Lodnia compared to Cirelli and Neumann.

Foegele reminds me of a Remi Elie type. However, he is better on his skates and faster. Elie also more of a board player where as Foegele seems to have more skills to his offensive game. But both come ready to compete

You'll change your mind when Cirelli playing for Erie :laugh:, I know your high on Lodnia(and he my not want to be trade as he has a no trade contract) he is a good player but this is more than likely Erie's last kick @ the can as next season key player movement. it all depends on how much your GM is interested in winning this season if he is happy just to get Foegele that's fine but there are 3 other teams that are as good or not better right now than Erie which I'm sure they are going to bolster there line up for the run. just an armchair critic having a little bit of fun :popcorn:

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
You'll change your mind when Cirelli playing for Erie :laugh:, I know your high on Lodnia(and he my not want to be trade as he has a no trade contract) he is a good player but this is more than likely Erie's last kick @ the can as next season key player movement. it all depends on how much your GM is interested in winning this season if he is happy just to get Foegele that's fine but there are 3 other teams that are as good or not better right now than Erie which I'm sure they are going to bolster there line up for the run. just an armchair critic having a little bit of fun :popcorn:

Again, the defense is a higher priority at this moment

And also just because Erie doesn't trade Lodnia for Cirelli.. doesn't mean they can't trade McShane for someone else. Cirelli isn't the only name on the market

I would contacting Saginaw about Stephens. Saginaw has about 1000 high end picks over the next 4 years. They absolutely need the youth over the picks. And McShane is the hottest 2000 guy on the market. That would be a much better add for Erie if it means retaining Lodnia

It can't be over stated that Lodnia, much like Vilardi and Thomas, is relevant to this year's team. Trading away a top 6 forward for another top 6 forward is risky. Sure Cirelli is an upgrade for this moment but wouldn't really improve our depth or our defensemen which still need the upgrade there before anything else

I feel confident at this stage in saying that in 2 years Lodnia will be better than Cirelli.
I would rather try to trade McShane first or add a 3rd line forward that plays that shutdown role like Cirelli, just doesn't offer the same offense as Cirelli -- but would allow us to keep Lodnia.

Erie can't afford to suck for the next 4-5 years again or This team which is already on thin ice will be leaving the city

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
really??????

They filed for bankruptcy about 2 years ago. They were so much in the red financially for years that even the McDavid addition did nothing but to put us closer to breaking even

Yes they are on thin ice. And the fan support which was so positive in first 6-7 years here.. dried up. Because they stunk for a decade. The fans are somewhat back but not to the extent that they can be around here.
Another 4-5 year streak of 10-25 win seasons might not be able to be recovered.

I'm not saying you can't trade Lodnia. But you better be looking elsewhere as options 1, 2, 3 and 4 before Lodnia even is in discussions. And if you just add Cirelli for Lodnia and nothing else (meaning no defenseman)
Sorry we might not have done enough and crippled our future. If we can only make 1 more move-- would rather it be for a 3-4 shut down LHD. That's a more pressing need

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
They filed for bankruptcy about 2 years ago. They were so much in the red financially for years that even the McDavid addition did nothing but to put us closer to breaking even

Yes they are on thin ice. And the fan support which was so positive in first 6-7 years here.. dried up. Because they stunk for a decade. The fans are somewhat back but not to the extent that they can be around here.
Another 4-5 year streak of 10-25 win seasons might not be able to be recovered.

I'm not saying you can't trade Lodnia. But you better be looking elsewhere as options 1, 2, 3 and 4 before Lodnia even is in discussions. And if you just add Cirelli for Lodnia and nothing else (meaning no defenseman)
Sorry we might not have done enough and crippled our future. If we can only make 1 more move-- would rather it be for a 3-4 shut down LHD. That's a more pressing need

Oh sorry to hear that!

Not sure on how your OA are but the Rangers Frank Hora may be the best shut down d-man in the league but shoots right. Hora was voted 2nd best shut down d-man in the West yr by the coaches. (not sure how much value to put into that poll but better than the fans would ever do). He's also from just down the road from Erie.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Oh sorry to hear that!

Not sure on how your OA are but the Rangers Frank Hora may be the best shut down d-man in the league but shoots right. Hora was voted 2nd best shut down d-man in the West yr by the coaches. (not sure how much value to put into that poll but better than the fans would ever do)

Really liked Hora as a possible fit but Erie added an OA forward, Warren Foegele, a few days back.
They now have all 3 spots filled and each are contributing. So no chance they even flip an OA at this stage with Foegele, D. Raddysh, and Pettit

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Gotta say I am impressed the moves the Brown has made so far with the addition of Murdaca and Foegele ..Especially considering the upgrade in talent , speed, size , and experience in Foegeles case..and the fact he got it done without spending a ton..Hate to see Neuman go though-he was a fan favorite..

I was wondering if last nights game was a fluke as Foegele had 3 points on the night but considering he averages a point a night already -I think he will up that average to 1.5 ppg,maybe more...what a pick up by Brown--the kid appears to really be having fun here judging by his interviews and by his performance..If he can keep doing what hes doing I think he really will provide a spark for this team...:nod:

Like everyone says and its true..make a bold move on D, get your head coach,Cernak, Strome,and T -rad back ....work on being a well gelled team-and GO FOR IT :yo::yo:

What are the odds that Brown could potentially acquire a D man AND still keep Lodnia??

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Gotta say I am impressed the moves the Brown has made so far with the addition of Murdaca and Foegele ..Especially considering the upgrade in talent , speed, size , and experience in Foegeles case..and the fact he got it done without spending a ton..Hate to see Neuman go though-he was a fan favorite..

I was wondering if last nights game was a fluke as Foegele had 3 points on the night but considering he averages a point a night already -I think he will up that average to 1.5 ppg,maybe more...what a pick up by Brown--the kid appears to really be having fun here judging by his interviews and by his performance..If he can keep doing what hes doing I think he really will provide a spark for this team...:nod:

Like everyone says and its true..make a bold move on D, get your head coach,Cernak, Strome,and T -rad back ....work on being a well gelled team-and GO FOR IT :yo::yo:

What are the odds that Brown could potentially acquire a D man AND still keep Lodnia??

I think you can add a solid 1997 dman that plays a stay at home true game. Ryan Martin would certianly be involved and he is a solid young prospect. In addition, a few picks would be involved

This team is close no doubt. Will be interesting to see how London approaches to the deadline. Windsor doesn't appear fit to add a huge name unless they trade a valuable piece to this year's team. Soo GM just came out with an interview last night basically saying they might make a move, might not. Which could signal that they are going to stand pat or make a minor tweak

Foegele will thrive here. 1.5 PPG was my safe bet but he probably will be on a line with Debrincat and Raddysh if Erie doesn't add another top forward. And in that case, he might be able to get near the 1.6-1.7 mark.
He's such an underrated player but he's every bit as valuable as an OA like Spencer Watson or Piccinich. He might end up even being a better fit and his all around game might be better. Time will tell.
But this was a huge move for the price. I like Neumann but he is still a year or 2 away from being a consistent producer..
reminds me of a Mike Cazzola. Never will likely pot a bunch of goals but his speed (once he adds strength) will make him a second line playmaker that will be around for an OA year.
I think it was a fair price. Erie didn't overpay at all and if anything they got a complete bargain

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Gotta agree that we can't afford to lose Lodnia and/or McShane. Loading up doesn't guarantee anything, except bankrupting yourself down the road. We could win it all this year and still be competitive next year, building for a run in a year or two. We can't be a Guelph for 3 seasons and stink. The attendance would go slip sliding away with the team.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Gotta agree that we can't afford to lose Lodnia and/or McShane. Loading up doesn't guarantee anything, except bankrupting yourself down the road. We could win it all this year and still be competitive next year, building for a run in a year or two. We can't be a Guelph for 3 seasons and stink. The attendance would go slip sliding away with the team.

The attendance would slip more so than Canadian teams
This is what some of the posters don't understand about Erie. It's imperative that we don't slip back to where we were 5-6 years ago. Can't afford that

Dave Brown needs to be creative. I'm fine with trading McShane. No I don't want to but he is along with Lodnia our biggest "assets"
And Lodnia is actually very important to this year's team. trading away McShane wouldn't hurt this year's team. Both obviously hurt the future but Raddysh and Sambrook will be hitting the market next year. Others like Maksimovich could also be moved

I'm seriously calling Saginaw about Stephens. I mean, if I'm in Saginaw and sitting on so many high end picks- I want a 2000 player. That franchise needs to start improving. And they don't need any more picks. They need some legit young talent. McShane could be that. And since they are probably a few years away- it makes more sense than a 99 or a bunch of more picks. Oshawa is the one that is go all in next year with Mem Cup (hence the wanting of Lodnia)
But seriously, Saginaw needs a top end young player. That however doesn't mean McShane waives his NTC for Saginaw or anyone for that matter

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
The attendance would slip more so than Canadian teams
This is what some of the posters don't understand about Erie. It's imperative that we don't slip back to where we were 5-6 years ago. Can't afford that

Dave Brown needs to be creative. I'm fine with trading McShane. No I don't want to but he is along with Lodnia our biggest "assets"
And Lodnia is actually very important to this year's team. trading away McShane wouldn't hurt this year's team. Both obviously hurt the future but Raddysh and Sambrook will be hitting the market next year. Others like Maksimovich could also be moved

I'm seriously calling Saginaw about Stephens. I mean, if I'm in Saginaw and sitting on so many high end picks- I want a 2000 player. That franchise needs to start improving. And they don't need any more picks. They need some legit young talent. McShane could be that. And since they are probably a few years away- it makes more sense than a 99 or a bunch of more picks. Oshawa is the one that is go all in next year with Mem Cup (hence the wanting of Lodnia)
But seriously, Saginaw needs a top end young player. That however doesn't mean McShane waives his NTC for Saginaw or anyone for that matter

Do you know something Oshawa doesn't, the next season Memorial Cup isn't awarded yet :laugh:

SouthernOtter

Jan 3, 2015
I thought last night line combos were interesting. Maybe there isn't anything to read into but if we traded for a wing (not a top end guy) with Bily/Edwardson/etc. and paired him with Strome and TRad, our third line could be that KMac/Pettit/Lodina line. Our depth up front would be overwhelming.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Do you know something Oshawa doesn't, the next season Memorial Cup isn't awarded yet :laugh:

I know, but they won't know until after the deadline and have to approach this year like they will get it more than approaching it like they won't.
And they are also closer to many others for a run next year.. regardless of mem cup

Mayday3*

Again, the defense is a higher priority at this moment

And also just because Erie doesn't trade Lodnia for Cirelli.. doesn't mean they can't trade McShane for someone else. Cirelli isn't the only name on the market

I would contacting Saginaw about Stephens. Saginaw has about 1000 high end picks over the next 4 years. They absolutely need the youth over the picks. And McShane is the hottest 2000 guy on the market. That would be a much better add for Erie if it means retaining Lodnia

It can't be over stated that Lodnia, much like Vilardi and Thomas, is relevant to this year's team. Trading away a top 6 forward for another top 6 forward is risky. Sure Cirelli is an upgrade for this moment but wouldn't really improve our depth or our defensemen which still need the upgrade there before anything else

I feel confident at this stage in saying that in 2 years Lodnia will be better than Cirelli.
I would rather try to trade McShane first or add a 3rd line forward that plays that shutdown role like Cirelli, just doesn't offer the same offense as Cirelli -- but would allow us to keep Lodnia.

Erie can't afford to suck for the next 4-5 years again or This team which is already on thin ice will be leaving the city

Barrett Hayton is right there. And SSM has picks to sweeten a deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad