Erie Otters 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I thought last night line combos were interesting. Maybe there isn't anything to read into but if we traded for a wing (not a top end guy) with Bily/Edwardson/etc. and paired him with Strome and TRad, our third line could be that KMac/Pettit/Lodina line. Our depth up front would be overwhelming.

Don't read into the lines at all during this stretch

Before the WJC it was
Raddysh- McShane- Debrincat
Mak- Strome - Lodnia
Fellows-Pettit-Neumann

After WJC it will likely be:
Raddysh- Foegele-Debrincat
Mak-Strome- Lodnia
Fellows-Pettit-McShane

If Cirelli was added for Lodnia.. I think it could be a possibility that Erie is trying to create a "shut down" line that can also score. Which could make the lines become-

Foegele-Cirelli-Raddysh
Mak- Strome-Debrincat

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Barrett Hayton is right there. And SSM has picks to sweeten a deal

Maybe so. McShane had an impressive u17 as well for Canada.
But SSM actually is pretty dry with picks too. And with the recent interview from SSM GM, they might not even be looking to make a big splash... at least not with a forward

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I thought last night line combos were interesting. Maybe there isn't anything to read into but if we traded for a wing (not a top end guy) with Bily/Edwardson/etc. and paired him with Strome and TRad, our third line could be that KMac/Pettit/Lodina line. Our depth up front would be overwhelming.

Interesting idea, maybe they trade Bily and scrape together a few picks for a decent complementary winger.

Trade-Strome-Raddysh
Foegele-McShane-DeBrincat
Maksimovich-Pettit-Lodnia
Girhiny-Poddubnyi-Fellows

Pretty good depth, that Girhiny-Poddubnyi-Fellows line played pretty well last night too.

Barrett Hayton is right there. And SSM has picks to sweeten a deal

While McShane has been the beneficiary of more ice time than Hayton is receiving, I have to think McShane is seen as more valuable. 16 year old center averaging 0.74 PPG and going 50% on the draw is impressive. He was also better at the U17s.

SSM is just about as dry on picks as Erie is as well.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Interesting idea, maybe they trade Bily and scrape together a few picks for a decent complementary winger.

Trade-Strome-Raddysh

Pretty good depth, that Girhiny-Poddubnyi-Fellows line played pretty well last night too.

Johnny Corneil from Niagara has been a thought of mine. Not sure what his cost would be. But a player like him would be nice.
However I would put McShane lower

Trade-Strome-Raddysh
Debrincat-Foegele-Lodnia
Maksimovich-Pettit-McShane
Girhiny-Poddubyni-Fellows

Would be a good 1-3 lines.

Regardless, no matter what they add to the forward group- or even if they do, won't mean much without a defenseman IMO

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Don't read into the lines at all during this stretch

Before the WJC it was
Raddysh- McShane- Debrincat
Mak- Strome - Lodnia
Fellows-Pettit-Neumann

After WJC it will likely be:
Raddysh- Foegele-Debrincat
Mak-Strome- Lodnia
Fellows-Pettit-McShane

If Cirelli was added for Lodnia.. I think it could be a possibility that Erie is trying to create a "shut down" line that can also score. Which could make the lines become-

Foegele-Cirelli-Raddysh
Mak- Strome-Debrincat

Now your saying if Cirelli was added for Lodnia, so your saying there is a chance :laugh:

Mayday3*

Trade-Strome-Raddysh

While McShane has been the beneficiary of more ice time than Hayton is receiving, I have to think McShane is seen as more valuable. 16 year old center averaging 0.74 PPG and going 50% on the draw is impressive. He was also better at the U17s.

Don't tihnk so. Over the next 5 drafts, Erie has 0 2nds and 1 3rd. SSM over the same span has 2 2nds and 4 3rds. More than enough to add to Hayton to get a deal done

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Now your saying if Cirelli was added for Lodnia, so your saying there is a chance :laugh:

Obviously there is or their wouldn't be rumors.
I never made up the rumors nor am I the GM and nor do I think that is the only move Erie can make to win a championship. They should look elsewhere first imo.
But Dave Brown will do whatever he wants. I'm saying IF they did I could see their thought being to create a big hitting shut down line. That's all I'm saying. Still personally don't love the idea

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Don't tihnk so. Over the next 5 drafts, Erie has 0 2nds and 1 3rd. SSM over the same span has 2 2nds and 4 3rds. More than enough to add to Hayton to get a deal done

And most of those thirds and seconds are 3-4 years away.

Go a year later for Erie and they start having second and thirds as well.
Once you get to 2021 what is the difference of 2021 vs 2022 if you like McShane more

And once again, still think McShane is a hotter commodity regardless of picks. And SSM doesn't appear like they want to make the big move. So they might not even be in the discussion

SouthernOtter

Jan 3, 2015

Trade-Strome-Raddysh

If we got really crazy (and extremely lucky), we could flip McShane, Wainman, Edwardson, and Martin picks to Oshawa for Cirelli and Vande Sompel

Then trade Bily and w.e needed for an upgrade on the wing.

Lines could be:
Raddysh-Strome-DeBrincat
Foegele-Cirelli-Trade

MVS-Cernak
Fergus-Raddysh
Bryne-Sambrook

NO WAY this would happen. But, that lineup would be awesome to dream about.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
The one thing I have noticed (over especially the last 3-4 or 5 years)is that ERIE while it is a GOOD market for this level of hockey, is kind of a "finicky" market..one game you will have 5,000 fans the next you will have 1000 fans that they call 2500 fans..

Then while mostly true- the good ol erie is a big high school football town excuse comes up, the weather is too warm for hockey yet, and blah blah blah..

Also there are people here who attend mostly reg season games then not the playoffs, WTF is up with that??then some who only come for the playoffs, kind of a complex market..Heck me and wife got our passports to go to Kitchener and the Londons etc to get more involved, we love it..

But I think h10 is right- you really cant afford to totally tank and be a basement dweller here..Erie having the great success (3-50 win seasons)and a strong winning tradition in recent years and names like McDavid,Baptiste, Strome, DeBrincat Raddysh's. etc have helped Erie to gain respect around the league...Picture being a Baptiste or now a Foegele and coming into a top tier team like this from where you were ...these are good times but you cant risk winning only 10 games in a season for the future either..

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
If we got really crazy (and extremely lucky), we could flip McShane, Wainman, Edwardson, and Martin picks to Oshawa for Cirelli and Vande Sompel

Then trade Bily and w.e needed for an upgrade on the wing.

Lines could be:
Raddysh-Strome-DeBrincat
Foegele-Cirelli-Trade

MVS-Cernak
Fergus-Raddysh
Bryne-Sambrook

NO WAY this would happen. But, that lineup would be awesome to dream about.
Obviously it wouldn't happen.

Bily and edwardson aren't getting you much. Bily maybe a little as he has some upside. But not happening in a million years

Don't need Oshawa fans swarming in here saying it ain't happening either
It obviously wouldn't

SouthernOtter

Jan 3, 2015
Obviously it wouldn't happen.

Bily and edwardson aren't getting you much. Bily maybe a little as he has some upside. But not happening in a million years

Don't need Oshawa fans swarming in here saying it ain't happening either
It obviously wouldn't

Dear Oshawa Fans,

I know my previous post will not happen. I just got excited and dreamed a lineup that would be fun to watch as a fan. Your players are good and I wish we could afford them but I know we can't.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The one thing I have noticed (over especially the last 3-4 or 5 years)is that ERIE while it is a GOOD market for this level of hockey, is kind of a "finicky" market..one game you will have 5,000 fans the next you will have 1000 fans that they call 2500 fans..

Then while mostly true- the good ol erie is a big high school football town excuse comes up, the weather is too warm for hockey yet, and blah blah blah..

Also there are people here who attend mostly reg season games then not the playoffs, WTF is up with that??then some who only come for the playoffs, kind of a complex market..Heck me and wife got our passports to go to Kitchener and the Londons etc to get more involved, we love it..

But I think h10 is right- you really cant afford to totally tank and be a basement dweller here..Erie having the great success (3-50 win seasons)and a strong winning tradition in recent years and names like McDavid,Baptiste, Strome, DeBrincat Raddysh's. etc have helped Erie to gain respect around the league...Picture being a Baptiste or now a Foegele and coming into a top tier team like this from where you were ...these are good times but you cant risk winning only 10 games in a season for the future either..

We have the same thing in Kitchener when it comes to play offs. Last season all the regulars around us disappeared in the play offs replaced by others that only get out to a few games a season. It was a lot of fun even with out the usual people. We had a big family of Irishmen sitting round us with jerseys on all with the same number. They were really loud and got the crowd around us going. The beer they drank helped:)

h10*

Jan 12, 2011

3 reasons

1) America
Nobody here cares about hockey like they do Canada. Half the population won't go to an Otter game if you handed them free tickets. Another 25% wont go unless they get cheap tickets or free ones
Just how it is. Which impacts playoffs once the prices go up

2) Erie isn't a rich city. Hard for many families to afford for a family of 4 (approximately $100) to go to a game. They can maybe go 1-2 times a month but not to every game

3) The inconsistent attendance has to do with when the games are played. Most teams around the league struggle on Monday-Thursday night for many reasons. 2500-3500 is the standard for games on those night. They announce the attendance in terms of tickets sold not show up fans. If it looks like 1500 to you but they announce 2500...it's cause they sold 2500 which is all the organization cares about anyways. Friday's and especially Saturday's get about 4500-6000. With a good team and second half of the year.. should start expecting more 5500 crowds and a few sell outs

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Dear Oshawa Fans,

I know my previous post will not happen. I just got excited and dreamed a lineup that would be fun to watch as a fan. Your players are good and I wish we could afford them but I know we can't.

lol
Truly if Erie gets insane they could move on from McShane and Lodnia.. I just can't seem them trading both unless London goes crazy and we feel desperate

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
7D442, you are absolutely right on that. I can't figure it out either. However, when we went on recent road trips this past fall to follow the Otters, other than Owen Sound, I was not impressed with the attendance in Sudbury, SSM, or North Bay. Guelph wasn't packed by any stretch either. All the games were prime time weekend games. That kind of threw me. I think that the attendance is down league wise this year. I will have to check hockey db to see. For my wife and I, no more 230 mile r/t trips if the Otters tank like years past. We had many quiet trips home for many years. If that happens, I will make more use of my Penguins season tickets.

SouthernOtter

Jan 3, 2015
lol
Truly if Erie gets insane they could move on from McShane and Lodnia.. I just can't seem them trading both unless London goes crazy and we feel desperate
I just hope London doesn't pull off the trades they are capable of. In a perfect world, we stay as is and still pull off winning. Our future would be stable. I really want us to win it all again so I am open to crazy. I still remember the goal that sent us to the Memorial Cup like it was yesterday (I was 11). I was so excited I talked my parents into going to the Memorial Cup in Guelph. That game alone is a big part why I am the hockey fan I am today. I really want that same moment to happen to the kids in Erie.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
7D442, you are absolutely right on that. I can't figure it out either. However, when we went on recent road trips this past fall to follow the Otters, other than Owen Sound, I was not impressed with the attendance in Sudbury, SSM, or North Bay. Guelph wasn't packed by any stretch either. All the games were prime time weekend games. That kind of threw me. I think that the attendance is down league wise this year. I will have to check hockey db to see. For my wife and I, no more 230 mile r/t trips if the Otters tank like years past. We had many quiet trips home for many years. If that happens, I will make more use of my Penguins season tickets.

It's junior hockey yet the prices keep going up.
Pretty insane to pay 20$ to go see 16-20 year olds lose 5-2 if your team is rebuilding

It's not like it used to be where the prices where 10$ a ticket. You really didn't care as much- just went to have fun. But with tickets and food costing so much- people can't afford it. Especially when the product isn't always good

Erie is a bit above average with their attendance. With their recent success they would be elite in cities like Kitchener or London but unfortunately they are also an American city. It's going to impact them when hockey is the 3rd or 4th favorite sport amongst most people. Some flat out hate it they won't ever watch or attend a game if you offered them a few free tickets in the nicest suite

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I just hope London doesn't pull off the trades they are capable of. In a perfect world, we stay as is and still pull off winning. Our future would be stable. I really want us to win it all again so I am open to crazy. I still remember the goal that sent us to the Memorial Cup like it was yesterday (I was 11). I was so excited I talked my parents into going to the Memorial Cup in Guelph. That game alone is a big part why I am the hockey fan I am today. I really want that same moment to happen to the kids in Erie.

Just the fans from that game.
Oh my.
Truly is a special place when Erie gets to that stage. The SSM game 6 from 2014-15 was intense. Incredible atmosphere. Never got to where it could have in the finals cause he never was in position after falling behind 0-2.

But seriously when this place gets to a clinching game in the finals or conference finals. What a place. As good or better than any place in the league or CHL for that matter. If Erie gets to the finals this year, there should be a movie day for all the players and the staff of the 2002 clinching game

SouthernOtter

Jan 3, 2015
Just the fans from that game.
Oh my.
Truly is a special place when Erie gets to that stage. The SSM game 6 from 2014-15 was intense. Incredible atmosphere. Never got to where it could have in the finals cause he never was in position after falling behind 0-2.

But seriously when this place gets to a clinching game in the finals or conference finals. What a place. As good or better than any place in the league or CHL for that matter. If Erie gets to the finals this year, there should be a movie day for all the players and the staff of the 2002 clinching game
That game was the best sporting event I have ever been to and it's not even close.

Now back to real trade talk. I know people have talked a lot about Carroll but no one has mentioned McFadden. I wonder what McFadden would cost to pry away from Guelph...

And it might be weird but I loved Trent Fox when he was here...He could step in on the third line and produce. He's a talented guy who needs a change of scenery. He could be a helpful addition that would cost significantly less than some of the other guys mentioned.

Last edited:

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
That game was the best sporting event I have ever been to and it's not even close.

Now back to real trade talk. I know people have talked a lot about Carroll but no one has mentioned McFadden. I wonder what McFadden would cost to pry away from Guelph...

And it might be weird but I loved Trent Fox when he was here...He could step in on the third line and produce. He's a talented guy who needs a change of scenery. He could be a helpful addition that would cost significantly less than some of the other guys mentioned.

I thought I heard that Fox wanted traded as well? Can't remember if true.

But if Fox is demanding a trade he would be a nice addition at a cheaper price. Liked him in Erie as well. Hamilton/Belleville and NB always are places where guys never put up the numbers in those systems and playing in the east. Fox would probably be an upgrade to the top 9 depth. But I haven't seen him play since his days in Erie. Would imagine he isn't the greatest skater still, just like his brother. But he does have size and some offense to his game

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The two home games in the Oshawa series had absolutely fantastic atmospheres. It's too bad Erie couldn't seal the deal in game 4. Erie and Oshawa looked pretty even on home ice, Erie just got killed on the road. Could have been a great series and an amazing game 6 had they won that game.

Anyways, I do agree Brown needs to be careful. I am glad he's being aggressive and looking to go all in this season, but like you mentioned, he needs to be careful not to completely torpedo Erie's future.

I would prefer to keep Lodnia for two reasons: He is an asset to this season's team, and he can lead the team next year after they presumably deal Raddysh and/or Sambrook to recoup some 2nd round picks.

If you're still rebuilding in 2018-2019 you can deal Lodnia at the deadline, in a normal cycle Erie should be on the upswing again by 2019-2020.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Dane Fox was just a fun player to watch..Talked to him a few times about that freak way he broke his ankle I think jumping out of a boat onto a shallow sand bar or somethimg like that..could score with the best of them, and the fact that any little thing would **** him off and throw down in a seconds notice was great entertainment ..lol..that kid could fight!!

Hated to see his brother be traded, not sure if they would go after someone who they traded once prior...but his numbers were really good here, then they dropped significantly when going to Hamilton...anyone know why?injury??

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
If you're still rebuilding in 2018-2019 you can deal Lodnia at the deadline, in a normal cycle Erie should be on the upswing again by 2019-2020.

I hear you but Erie so close now, and getting the best players now may put you over the top and whatever happens in 2019-2020 happens as there is a lot than can happen between now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad