Erie Otters 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
overall a great period from the team, outplayed Oshawa. but it's frustrating to be tied. had a ton of good scoring chances they need to bury, one defensive breakdown and it's in the net.

keep it up

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Devin Williams ends up killing Erie.

Good call from bassin thinking this team didn't need a goalie. Won't fully blame Williams as he kinda got Erie past SSM but again you can't be average in net and expect to be a great team... And Williams wasn't even average. Just a terrible series from him and I thought bassin learned in 2011 and last year that goaltending ultimately wins championships.. Guess he didn't realize that.
defense and special teams could have been better but ultimately the goalie is the last line of defense and when you play with a C- or D+ performance in net you won't win in a chamionship series

Just think you switch goalies in this series and Erie for sure wins.

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
Someone explain to me how that wasn't a goal. There is absolutely nothing in the rulebook that explains that.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I really want to post that goal to all SSM and even a few Oshawa fans who have the assumption that ohl wants Mcdavid to head to memorial cup. Because that was a goal

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
lets see some more posts about how branch is doing everything he can to get Mc David to the memorial cup

what a joke those post were

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
There is absolutely no way there was enough evidence to overturn the call on the ice. Even the sportsnet guys said it looked like it hit his shoulder. What an absolute joke.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Oshawa hasn't "stopped" Mcdavid, they have dragged him down with penalties that have gone uncalled. Nice crosscheck by Mermis who has no ability what so ever to stay with Mcdavid unless he uses that crosscheck of his

docstan

Feb 6, 2010
Oakville, ON
Oshawa hasn't "stopped" Mcdavid, they have dragged him down with penalties that have gone uncalled. Nice crosscheck by Mermis who has no ability what so ever to stay with Mcdavid unless he uses that crosscheck of his

Any idea why no call on Mermis. Ref was right there to see the crosscheck. An insult to OHL to allow such shoddy calls. Any Oshawa fan knows this, I am sure.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Anyone with a brain knows that was a goal. There are just no words. And it's probably ended Erie's season.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Anyone with a brain knows that was a goal. There are just no words. And it's probably ended Erie's season.

As has the crosscheck. So Erie lost a goal and a PP on Mermis crosscheck. Could be tied

rgrsboom

Dec 6, 2014
Sec 7 Row K
Erie fans, not the finish you wanted but you have been treated to some very entertaining and highly exciting hockey. Be proud of these kids.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
To be honest I thought Erie played Oshawa very well this series. But the big edge was in net, which pushed them to the tile. Congrats.

Disappointing to fall short but what an amazing season it was, left me with a lot of great memories. And hey there will be two new banners in the arena next season.

And of course, it's been a huge pleasure to watch McDavid these last three years. What an amazing player and even better person. He has put Erie back on the map in the OHL and probably saved this franchise from leaving. Thank you for everything.

It was a little sad that Oshawa booed McDavid for winning MVP though. Not the classiest of gestures.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Everybody but Williams I am proud of.

But really isn't Williams fault, he is clearly just a solid backup goalie and that is it. So I blame bassin. Unfortunately he didn't address the only real concern for Erie and that was goaltending. And with the best player in the ohl in recent memory I don't understand why they didn't make more moves. Could have recouped assests next year with the likes of Strome and others. But you'll never get a franchise player who is even close to the talent of Mcdavid and we didn't win anything meaningful so this one hurts

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Williams was a huge part of the SSM series win, a series nobody expected Erie to win, he deserves credit there. He did not play well this series but the kid put his heart on his sleeve and gave everything for his team, you can't bash him for that.

I wish Bassin had made a move for goaltending but was there anything available? Who knows. They didn't have many assets left either. This team went farther then I really ever expected them to and I'm extremely proud of them.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Everybody but Williams I am proud of.

But really isn't Williams fault, he is clearly just a solid backup goalie and that is it. So I blame bassin. Unfortunately he didn't address the only real concern for Erie and that was goaltending. And with the best player in the ohl in recent memory I don't understand why they didn't make more moves. Could have recouped assests next year with the likes of Strome and others. But you'll never get a franchise player who is even close to the talent of Mcdavid and we didn't win anything meaning for this one hurts

Hockey is a team game. Williams may have let in the goals but what of the team in front. Obviously the defensive part of their game wasn't up to the Gen's. What of the forwards that never stepped up to help McDavid when he is being smothered. It's easy to blame a goalie when the whole team is at fault. Erie was in tough to beat the Gens. They went as far as they could.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Thought he cost Erie game 4 by giving up 6 goals. Erie scored 5 and it wasn't enough.. In this series he had to be above average but at least average and was neither. I don't think it's his fault in terms of talent, he just might not be that good to be the starter of a top team. Yes he beat SSM but lucky for Erie Halverson and their defense gave up goals and breakaways all series. Just thought most of the goals for Oshawa in this series was rebound goals and traffic goals.. Williams didn't see the puck well and it's how he performed from October to March so no surprise that guy showed up again

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
at least one can look forward to the new owners. Can't wait to see if we can actually sustain success. Certainly think we can as Erie has been able to get guys like Mcdavid, Strome, Burakovsky, and Debrincat recently. You come in here and win more consistently the fans and arena will take over to attract top talent. Just need better management and direction and this organization could win one in 3-4 years. With knoblauch around I see a bright future. Debrincat, K. Maksimovich, T. Raddysh, Shaun Bily, Egan, Byrne, Riley McRae.. All rookies who are 17 and younger and saw playing time this year. Add in Lodnia and potentially Nuemann and this team could be great again in 3 years. Have to make some rebuild moves next year though to get more young talent and upcoming picks but with Strome, Dermott, and Darren Raddysh they have plenty of top assests to rebuild immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad