Erie Otters 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
well well well I guess it was not Connor Mc Davids last game in the E I A as some fans from other teams would have had us believe

this win has been a long time coming and feels great
suffered thru some lackluster seasons in hopes of a winner and now its here

some passing thoughts
take away the 2 goals on the slew foot call and its still a 5-3 win
the sleeper bus vs plane debate is answered
the hands of mc david on the Otters 4th goal... as he breaks off the half wall to behind the net he takes a two hand slash to the stick but seems to let his hands go soft and the slash has no effect on his control of the puck .
the soo overplayed nurse and his trying to do it all took a way a lot of the team play.
a coach will tell you team work beats individual skill
connor has great skill but uses it in a team first way the results 12 wins in 3 series
Mr Bassin and the coaches were right in the trades they made and did not make ....

mohockey

mohockey
Jan 9, 2014
Erie, Pa
I'm starting to look forward to Edmonton next year with Nurse and Mcdavid on the same team. I've been a season ticket holder for eight years for the Otters, and my whole extended family has joined in the great family fun all winter long. We love our Otters and we love watching so many of them play in the NHL. Love Burokovsky in Washington!!!! Next year it will be Baptiste on the ice in Buffalo and Mcdavid and Mac in LA and hopefully all the scouting eyes that are watching this team excel will get many more of our Otters drafted and signed!

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Wow, wow, wow! When we got home at 12:30 we watched the game on the NHL network. After McDavid's 4th goal, DeAngelo had a closeup on the bench. He said, "I can't f----- believe that". That pretty well sums it up for the whole night. Two huge turning points were when Jake scored after he had been penalized for a face off infraction. Up until that point I thought the Soo would take over. And, of course, the 2 goals on the 5 minute PP for the slew foot. I absolutely believe that these guys are a real team-not a bunch of very talented players doing their own thing. That is the impression I got from watching the interactions between players from both teams. Having #23 back was huge. It kept Ritchie from running around. Kurtis is one of our best on D. And, although Sheldon Keefe is a great coach, what about Chris Knobloch? It was clear to me that the OHL coach of the year was out coached by Mr. Knobloch. That is very satisfying. Still, kudos to the Soo. It was a great series. Now we need to move forward. You have to like our chances at this point.

rgrsboom

Dec 6, 2014
Sec 7 Row K
Yesterday was my first trip to the EIA. Made the trek down from Kitchener to see the arena and arrived to realize the magnitude and potential of this game. The game, and the atmosphere lived up to its billing. The downtown area was buzzing with excitement pre-game as we got there early enough to visit Slugger's. Tail gate parties were out in abundance, in parking lots and on side streets.
After the game the guys sitting in front were amazed at how many fans stayed to the very end and for the post game trophy presentation. I was surprised at the numbers in the seats that came up from Pittsburgh.
Out into the street after and the celly continues! Would have loved to have stuck around to partake but had to carry on home.
A great day for our first visit to Erie, can scratch this off our OHL arena list, but this will be one for a return trip. Hope the Otter fans continue to support this team and create that buzz in the post Connor days! Best of luck to you the rest of this great season!

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON

It was a slewfoot, the part that bothers me, and I think I speak for a lot of people here is the call wasn't made initially by EITHER referee. It was only after, during the TV timeout that they made a call, and still it was the linesman. Does that call still happen if there's no TV timeout? Not going to continue to interrupt your party, but I think the bigger issue taken to it was not that it was called, but when/how it was called.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa

That was 2 home games in a row that Williams was "run over". That move was outrageous & at the time it happened all I could think was that he was injured and this game was going to be scary. Thankfully he was OK after shaking it off.

There were some Soo fans darn near smack dab in the middle of our section, they were pretty uppity most of the first period, just before the empty netter they headed for the door. I personally thanked them for coming to the game & my wife was sure glad no one (especially me) gave them a hard time on the way out.

I really have to say that reading these boards has made me a better fan. There are some great people from every city, in the end we're all just fans of the game.

I would like to ad that I don't doubt one bit the board memberships have gone up, you KNOW the NHL channel subscribers has gone up as well. Replay of game 6 in 10 minutes!

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
It was a slewfoot, the part that bothers me, and I think I speak for a lot of people here is the call wasn't made initially by EITHER referee. It was only after, during the TV timeout that they made a call, and still it was the linesman. Does that call still happen if there's no TV timeout? Not going to continue to interrupt your party, but I think the bigger issue taken to it was not that it was called, but when/how it was called.

The referees still would have went into that *huddle* and the call would have been made.

DubCee21

Nov 28, 2013

A scrum ensued immediately after the incident. Both linesmen were involved in breaking that up. As soon as that was over one of them went directly to the ref. So, yes this gets called regardless of a tv timeout.

Soo fans can use whatever excuse they want, it still doesn't change the fact that the better team won. They were out coached and outplayed and the only stat that matters proves this point regardless of how anyone feels about it. Glad the Otters could send the Soo arrogance packing....that must feel a little Saulty, eh?

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
One thing from last night's game that I haven't seen mentioned: a gentleman played both anthems on the trumpet. Not surprisingly, the crowd sang along during the US anthem. Maybe a bit surprising, they also sang along to the Canadian anthem. That was cool.

Dave Hahn

Apr 23, 2002
Just tossing this out there, but it was nice meeting a few HF'ers at the game last night. Thanks for coming up to say hello and for the kind words.

Admittedly, I (like many others) have questioned Devin Williams and whether or not Erie made the right decision. At the time, the peripherals pointed to "not a chance," but sometimes the game has a funny way of writing a different chapter.

I had a chance to speak with Devin last night, he is oozing with class and has handled his duties with a level of grace and professionalism rarely seen.

There will be crow for dinner tonight in many households. Mine included.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
One thing from last night's game that I haven't seen mentioned: a gentleman played both anthems on the trumpet. Not surprisingly, the crowd sang along during the US anthem. Maybe a bit surprising, they also sang along to the Canadian anthem. That was cool.

Way cool!

In the previous thread someone posted something about being "unpatriotic", all those people singing BOTH national anthems is about as patriotic as it gets. It's often been discussed over the years in our section that it's NEVER a USA vs. Canada thing, the areas around the great lakes have so much in common we just have a border separating us.

Yes, I have relatives that are Canadian citizens, thank you very much!

:nod:

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo
Way cool!

In the previous thread someone posted something about being "unpatriotic", all those people singing BOTH national anthems is about as patriotic as it gets. It's often been discussed over the years in our section that it's NEVER a USA vs. Canada thing, the areas around the great lakes have so much in common we just have a border separating us.

Yes, I have relatives that are Canadian citizens, thank you very much!

:nod:
A number of people sang both anthems at the Essar too... maybe sang O Canada a tad louder LOL! Living on a border city....especially with just the St. Mary's River separating us and having the same name...it's no big deal.....about the only time there is tension is when it's Canada vs USA at some IIHF event. As an aside, back in the glory days in the early 90's many people desperately wanted Lake Superior State Lakers and the Hounds to play an exhibition game but they couldn't get the NCAA to agree to it. :(

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
A number of people sang both anthems at the Essar too... maybe sang O Canada a tad louder LOL! Living on a border city....especially with just the St. Mary's River separating us and having the same name...it's no big deal.....about the only time there is tension is when it's Canada vs USA at some IIHF event. As an aside, back in the glory days in the early 90's many people desperately wanted Lake Superior State Lakers and the Hounds to play an exhibition game but they couldn't get the NCAA to agree to it. :(

I've always thought an exhibition game would be a ton of fun. Unfortunately the age difference would probably prevent it from happening. I've always thought it would be cool to see the Otters play the Mercyhurst men's team in a preseason friendly.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Calls after the fact happen. The refs have a conflab and make the right decision. Verbeek should get a few games for that dumb move. Cost his team big time. I can see him being moved for it. Cost the owner a ton of money by removing his team from the play offs.

KnightSpit

Oct 27, 2012
EIA Areana Last Night

Yesterday was my first trip to the EIA. Made the trek down from Kitchener to see the arena and arrived to realize the magnitude and potential of this game. The game, and the atmosphere lived up to its billing. The downtown area was buzzing with excitement pre-game as we got there early enough to visit Slugger's. Tail gate parties were out in abundance, in parking lots and on side streets.
After the game the guys sitting in front were amazed at how many fans stayed to the very end and for the post game trophy presentation. I was surprised at the numbers in the seats that came up from Pittsburgh.
Out into the street after and the celly continues! Would have loved to have stuck around to partake but had to carry on home.
A great day for our first visit to Erie, can scratch this off our OHL arena list, but this will be one for a return trip. Hope the Otter fans continue to support this team and create that buzz in the post Connor days! Best of luck to you the rest of this great season!

RgrsBoom, Gald you were blown away buy your first trip to EIA, like I tell all people, you have not been to an OHL game until you have experience EIA. Made our first trip 3 years ago and have been going ever since. You are so right about the pre game and post game Atmosphere, do not find it like that in any other OHL Town, it was more like NFL Super Sunday and man the bars on State St after the game were fun. Should add, in Kitchener been to your Rangers Rink 3 times, gorgeous facility, but the Fan experience just not the same. Try and get to the Finals if you can, but good luck scoring a Ticket. Also that was the loudest I have ever hear EIA last night, but some seasons Ticket Holder told me, the last time ERIE was in the Finals, it was even louder, hard to believe ??

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013

they were sung louder last night but both were sung by fans in the club level for every home game .

but yes it was great to see the fans show the respect to the anthems.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Going to be a good series. I think all hockey fans in the Oshawa area will be pleased to finally see McDavid live. The GMC will be rocking not only for the finals but for McDavid. Just hoping 97 doesn't leave too big of an impression on the fans. See you guys on Friday!

gens90

Mar 16, 2015
Markham
Going to be a good series. I think all hockey fans in the Oshawa area will be pleased to finally see McDavid live. The GMC will be rocking not only for the finals but for McDavid. Just hoping 97 doesn't leave too big of an impression on the fans. See you guys on Friday!

Actually I think Game 1 is going to be Thursday! At least that is what I am hearing...which means Game 2 will probably end up being Saturday...

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Question for Otter fans: Mason Marchment is eligible to return game 2 of the OHL finals. Do you put him back into the lineup and if you do, who sits out: Maksimovich, Bily or Fellows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad