Ericsson

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Best memories of Ericsson for me came from this 2009 Chicago series, where Lidström missed his only career playoff games (2 games).

I was scary as hell before the game, because Ericsson was promoted to Lidström's role.

We did win 7-1. :)

Reactions: Konnan511

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Sometime either before or after training camp in late summer or early fall 2007 or 2008, I was at a super crowded bar in downtown Royal Oak and saw some scary looking tall dude walk through the crowd. I watched him go out to the patio and I kinda did that blinking white guy GIF face as he joined Kronwall, Franzen, Filppula and probably a couple others I'm forgetting. Then I thought "Oh yeah, that's that Ericsson guy".

That encounter kind of gave me an appreciation for the guy and I've always kinda felt bad for how he got roasted for being thrown to the wolves in a #2D spot that was clearly above his capability and then got contractually compensated for it.

Reactions: BSHH

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
LTIRetirement, please. Be really nice to untie another Holland anchor off the rope

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hell yeah. He gets a lot of flack but that's mostly because of his contract, which everyone would take. Dude had some solid years for us. I appreciate the hard work he brought every day, even if she caught up to him rather quickly.
He got a lot of flack because he signed that contract with a hip injury. The team didn't know, but indications are that he knew he was having hip issues (though he may not have known the extent).

If not for the hip issue, he could possibly have developed into a decent 2nd pair, which is what he was paid to be. A lot of the stupid stuff he does like pitchforking the puck out of the zone is because he can't skate.

That contract relegated him to full time duties when he really should have been a career #7D (or retired) with that injury.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's crazy that of the crop of Quincey, Kindl, Smith and probably a few others I'm forgetting, Ericsson turned out to be the long term Red Wings d-man when most of the others aren't even in the NHL anymore.

Reactions: Realgud

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
I’ll always appreciate Big E for defending his teammates and dropping the gloves when no one else could or would. He had a few years as a top tier PKer for sure. I would’ve preferred a contract like Daley’s to go first out of sentimental reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad