Value of: Eric Staal

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Weird how 8 months ago 1 year of JVR was worth a first, but 1 year of the vastly superior in every way Eric Staal isn't. I guess that's what happens when the self appointed sheriff of reality has never even sniffed reality.

Kinda like how 8 months ago somehow Patches was supposed to bring you guys a Top Center Prospect + 1st ? Hows that been for you so far anyway?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He won't repeat his season again, and he's 33. He'll get a 1st + filler, but expecting a grand package like Karlsson, both being one year from UFA is lunacy.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Okay, so tell me: how is it that a 70pt center can’t be the missing piece to a contender. Literally every single playoff team could use Staal and his cap hit makes him the biggest bargain on the market driving up the cost to acquire him.
A 70 point player is someone who would be the teams best player. If a team is acquiring one of their best players at the deadline, they aren't really a contender

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
I do think Staal could make a good fit for teams say like Nashville, Columbus or St Louis(ie teams looking for a center but are solid everywhere else)
Nashville has their center ice locked up long term plus plenty of spares to boot.

Johansen
Turris
Bonino
Sissons
Jarnkrok
Watson
Gaudreau

Preds have zero need for Staal. If this were 2015, maybe...

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Nashville has their center ice locked up long term plus plenty of spares to boot.

Johansen
Turris
Bonino
Sissons
Jarnkrok
Watson
Gaudreau

Preds have zero need for Staal. If this were 2015, maybe...

To me the main problem in Nashville is they lack that 1 truly elite forward, now Staal isn't it but hypothetically replace Bonino(trade) for Staal, that might help them a bit more going for a scoring by committee

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yes it is
You’re the only one that can turn acquiring a 70pt center into a bad thing. Oh, the other team has three 70pt players? Having a fourth would clearly be a bad thing and that team clearly isn’t a contender because having the guy whom placed 4th in the league in scoring and 26th in the league for points as one of your best players is such a bad, bad thing and contender should never actively seek good players as rentals because if they did then poof, they are no longer contenders and never were to begin with!

Wow! Listen to your logic at work here.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I personally would do a 1st+ the problem is I don't know what the + is because I don't know what Minnesota needs if you need center prospects we can't help you, if you need winger prospects we got wingers coming out the ass, same with defense we just can't help you at center

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Okay, so tell me: how is it that a 70pt center can’t be the missing piece to a contender. Literally every single playoff team could use Staal and his cap hit makes him the biggest bargain on the market driving up the cost to acquire him.
Devil's Advocate: Three points in his last fifteen playoff games the last three years, two of which were pretty darn good years in Minnesota, suggests that "missing piece" might be overstating his playoff impact somewhat.

You are right that most playoff teams would certainly be improved by having him, though, which kind of begs the question...why would Minnesota be moving him?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Devil's Advocate: Three points in his last fifteen playoff games the last three years, two of which were pretty darn good years in Minnesota, suggests that "missing piece" might be overstating his playoff impact somewhat.

You are right that most playoff teams would certainly be improved by having him, though, which kind of begs the question...why would Minnesota be moving him?
Realistically, they wouldn't.

Less realistically, for the same reason the Blues traded Stastny.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ

So this is really more of an exploration of a potential deadline deal (should things go poorly for Minnesota during the season), and not an offseason one?

That would make more sense to me, but it wasn't clear from the OP if that was the intent.

I'd guess his value at that time would largely depend on what sort of year he's having. I doubt he pots 40 goals again, but even a 20 goal pace is likely enough to garner the usual 1st + whatever type of deal should Minnesota shop him.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

Paul Statsny performs in the playoffs whereas Staal has struggled.
Does anyone really believe that Staal will hit 40g/70pts again? Would GM's value him as that? I don't think so

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So this is really more of an exploration of a potential deadline deal (should things go poorly for Minnesota during the season), and not an offseason one?

That would make more sense to me, but it wasn't clear from the OP if that was the intent.

I'd guess his value at that time would largely depend on what sort of year he's having. I doubt he pots 40 goals again, but even a 20 goal pace is likely enough to garner the usual 1st + whatever type of deal should Minnesota shop him.
I couldn't speak for the OP, but in my mind the only semi-realistic way they trade Staal is as a deadline deal with the team floundering. And I'd agree, a 1st+something should be around the going rate.

I think some Wild fans are much more open to moving him in the offseason. I just don't see it really being considered based on what we've heard from the owner.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Paul Statsny performs in the playoffs whereas Staal has struggled.
Does anyone really believe that Staal will hit 40g/70pts again? Would GM's value him as that? I don't think so
My point is that the Blues moved Stastny, despite still being in the hunt for a playoff spot themselves, because they didn't think he'd be the difference between winning a cup and not winning a cup and they saw an opportunity to pick up something that they were missing: a 2018 1st. Whether or not what you say is true and Staal returns less, that doesn't mean a similar thought process wouldn't lead to the Wild trading him.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
There are several teams who could use Staal. In the West alone, Sharks, Blues, Stars, maybe even Vegas and a few others too (among playoff/bubble teams). Will they give up the kind of value Minnesota would want? Probably not. Minnesota should probably keep him unless they get a crazy overpayment.

I miss Staal in Carolina but Minnesota is probably the perfect place for him as long they aren't rebuilding. Close to Thunder Bay, make the playoffs annually, he can center their top lines, etc.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
When the Rangers traded for him hoping to be a contender, he stunk worse than the portajohn at a Chili cookoff. He was horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad