Confirmed with Link: Eric Staal to NYR for two 2nd round picks + Saarela.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Ok, the first sting is being digested.

2 x 2nd rd picks. They hurt, but we had to give them up.

Saarela. Makes me sad because his name is awesome. His potential and skills are huge, imo. He's injury-prone and his size is weak. Plus, remember, he's couple of bad hits away from retirement.

E.Staal used to be elite. If he clicks here and gets back to being what he used to be, and I believe he can be again, we'd have a great deal.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
You were worried about giving Kreider, Hayes or McIlrath. None of that happened. Frankly, I think it's a fair deal for both sides. The Rangers are better today. The Canes just gave up the face of their franchise and didn't get a #1. And, I know a few people fell in love with Saarela, just like they did Duclair. But, This deal is nowhere near the disaster that the naysayers will claim it to be.
Not a disaster..but it doesn't address our issues.

*Bob Richards*

Well, at least it wasn't for any of Kreider, Hayes etc. I can live with that.

Can Eric PK? Legit question as I do not know and we will not survive the playoffs if ours continues to tank this miserably.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Anyone know what year the picks are? Would be nice if they were 17/18 not this coming years.

I think this is a good trade, a lot of experts were saying Staal at this point is better off on the wing with less skating and defensive responsibilities. Evens out the lineup and gets stone hands Fast and lindberg out of the top 6, which strengthens the bottom 6 immensely.

mcsauer2738

Apr 1, 2011
Watching the reactions on here is hilarious. Very feir trade. Saarella is a complete unknown, and 2 late 2nd round picks, most likely in the #55 overall area.

We have such a small window to even have a chance at a cup, if trading a b level prospect and 2 late second round picks gets us there im all good

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Staal is good

This team is not a Staal away from winning anything

We can score shorthanded all we want but the Caps PP will eviscerate us.

This didn't fix anything.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

I know prospects are worth more than proven NHLers on HF but let's all relax. Eric Staal makes us better this season. We didn't give up any of our top prospects OR a first. Honestly this should be considered a fair price to pay especially after Ladd got a top prospect and a first.

Except that Saarela has also looked great against men.

Might as well get Hamhuis too if we're going all in.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Just try to imagine HFBoards in 94' when Gartner and Amonte were traded. This place would have MELTED.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
The next trade is gonna hurt, cuz we're down to roster players, top prospects, & future 1sts

But there's no way we're done

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The problem is Eric is going to be 32 later this year. He has little future of elite play here. And if we do resign him, it'll do more harm than good.

This just is a bad deal, period, plain and simple. This is not a smart decision, and is of the same ilk as the MSL trade and Yandle deal, assuming we can't resign Yandle.

I hope at some point the team blows everything up and starts from scratch, and I hope it happens soon.

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
Could have been worse, but this team could be real ugly in 3-5 years with the way we trade away picks and prospects. Hopefully Staal finds his scoring touch for 4 months.

I'm pretty sure we've been saying this for at least the last 5 years and it hasn't happened yet. It's just seems to be the way of things in the churn and burn cap era.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Not a disaster..but it doesn't address our issues.

So making the team deeper at the forward position by adding a quality possession forward doesn't address our issues? Frankly, the biggest issue remains the overuse of Staal, Girardi and Boyle and the underuse of Yandle. Plus, the presence of Glass. But, that's all on AV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad