Confirmed with Link: Eric Staal to NYR for two 2nd round picks + Saarela.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yup.

Hell, go in for Hamhuis as well at this point.

I agree. Besides Buch, trade them all, Skjei, Graves, Shesty, for as much help as we can get. If we don't win the cup, start the rebuild in the off-season, we've already damaged the future with the Duclair and Saarela trades.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Saarella was a nice prospect to have but come on, everyone needs to calm the F down.

We didn't give up Buch or Skjei or a first.

For all we know we sold high on Saarella and he doesn't pan pan out, not all prospects that have a good post draft year do.

My thinking is: Hank isn't going to play forever. Eric Staal makes us better this season. As long as we don't sell the farm, which we don't giving up one of our B prospects and 2 2nds, I like it.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Now get Yandle off the ****ing team and get back a top prospect that you just traded away for nothing you ****ing idiot GM

That seems logical. The team just traded a couple of picks and prospects for a rental forward to try and improve their chances this year. So then they are going to trade away one of their upcoming UFA's who happens to lead the team in assists? I'm sure that will happen.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm still here. Can someone please make sure Pavel Buchnevich is ok?

That was a steep trade. Smh.

You were worried about giving up Kreider, Hayes or McIlrath. None of that happened. Frankly, I think it's a fair deal for both sides. The Rangers are better today. The Canes just gave up the face of their franchise and didn't get a #1. And, I know a few people fell in love with Saarela, just like they did Duclair. But, This deal is nowhere near the disaster that the naysayers will claim it to be.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm thinking that was way too much. This only works if the Rangers win the whole shebang. If Eric Staal doesn't deliver it's a bad deal.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Unless everyone in our pipeline works out perfectly, this team will be a tire fire around the end of Hank's contract. I even like the philosophy behind these moves, but things will likely get very rough.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Saarella was a nice prospect to have but come on, everyone needs to calm the F down.

We didn't give up Buch or Skjei or a first.

For all we know we sold high on Saarella and he doesn't pan pan out, not all prospects that have a good post draft year do.

My thinking is: Hank isn't going to play forever. Eric Staal makes us better this season. As long as we don't sell the farm, which we don't giving up one of our B prospects and 2 2nds, I like it.

This is extremely poor logic. Didn't we just say that about Duclair?

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Time to start overrating Saarela in classic HFboards fashion. Teams been in win now mode for how long this is par for the course.

Kid is 5'10" and no guarantee what he will be in the future. The team is in win NOW mode. Hank isn't getting younger.

All in.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

I know prospects are worth more than proven NHLers on HF but let's all relax. Eric Staal makes us better this season. We didn't give up any of our top prospects OR a first. Honestly this should be considered a fair price to pay especially after Ladd got a top prospect and a first.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
For some reason, I am okay with this. Buch and Skjei are still in our system. Saarela was a player I did not want to give up on yet.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Does Staal kill penalties at least? Or are we gonna win the Cup with a bottom five PK?

He hasn't the last two years since they hired Peters but he was a regular PK'er every year before that and actually throughout his career has been one of the best shorthanded scorers in the league.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Could have been worse, but this team could be real ugly in 3-5 years with the way we trade away picks and prospects. Hopefully Staal finds his scoring touch for 4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad