Confirmed with Link: Eric Staal to NYR for two 2nd round picks + Saarela.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I won't lie, I think there is a solid chance Saarela will be in the NHL. Especially Carolina having Aho in the system (who is Saarela's buddy and WJC teammate), they're both going to be scary good for the Hurricanes. They also acquired Valentin Zykov, who as well, will be a very good contributor in a year or two. Who knows who they'll select with those pick, either.

In the short term, NYR wins the deal (if they win the cup). In the long term, Carolina takes the cake.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This team's success is all about whether or not they are firing on all cylinders, or mostly all cylinders come April.
Unfortunately, one of those cylinders is Nash scoring in the playoffs. Without that, this team will not fire on all cylinders.

As for the deal itself, I admit that I am skeptical that Staal will turn back the clock. And if he does not, it is once again a misuse of assets.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
If Staal were 34 0r 35, I'd have serious reservations about acquiring him.

We will see, but unless something really wrong is going on, I am confident this guy can and will contribute in a tangible way for the upcoming playoff run.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We will see, but unless something really wrong is going on, I am confident this guy can and will contribute in a tangible way for the upcoming playoff run.
I hope so. Because he has been trending in the wrong way. And if he does not turn it around, this franchise which can least afford to give away assets, has managed to do it again.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The last time he scored in the playoffs was what, 4 years ago? And the last time before that was a few years before that? He certainly did not improve since then. I would say he is probably not the same player at this point.

The only times he's been in the playoffs are the time Carolina won the cup and the 2008-2009 season

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I hope so. Because he has been trending in the wrong way. And if he does not turn it around, this franchise which can least afford to give away assets, has managed to do it again.

Trending the wrong way is something that happens with athletes. Bouncing back is also something that happens. Let's hope it is the latter. I'd say there is a very good chance that happens.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The last time he scored in the playoffs was what, 4 years ago? And the last time before that was a few years before that? He certainly did not improve since then. I would say he is probably not the same player at this point.

The only times he's been in the playoffs are the time Carolina won the cup and the 2008-2009 season

Understandable, but NYR front office reports that he'll be rejuvenated playing in the Big Apple and if you just watched his press conference, he seems hungry for the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad