Confirmed with Link: Eric Staal to Montréal for 3rd and 5th round picks (Sabres retaining 50% salary)

Happy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Eric Staal is a pretty good pp guy. Scores around 15 power-play point each year.

Burrows must be pretty excited. Our pp is already looking great, and now he can add Staal and maybe even Caufield to the pp.

If both are in the lineup, then on the pp:
Staal in, Anderson out
Caufield in, Gallagher out

Staal can play the front of the net
Gallagher is needed on the PP. Tatar is not.

Reactions: BLONG7

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
He really was.

Then he signed that big contract and lost some of his fight.
I don't know if he lost the fight, or whatever. I think he was just overused in a position where he could never succeed. Cole and Pacioretty made plenty of room for him and he had two people that he could pass to. I forget who him and Max played with after Cole left, but it was never the same type of player.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
dude comes from a strict religious dutch family in thunder bay. no giggle water allowed
You sure?

Staal brothers arrested following bachelor party

nhl_ap_estaal_195.jpg

Reactions: rik schau

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
More experience, he might not be the top end scorer he once was but just last season he score 19 in only 66 games and has I think 83 goals or so over the last 3 seasons. His numbers this season are as much to do with a terrible Buffalo team than his own age. He has won at every level and that experience should help down the stretch and come the playoffs. He also had a goal and 5 points in 4 games in this past summers playoffs. Sucks for Evans but he is still young and if he continues to develop he should make his way back to the team next season as a regular.

As for the two picks, no terrible especially given that the Habs have 2 more picks in each of those rounds this summer or whenever the draft takes place. Given they had 14 picks I figured Bergevin might trade some for the run.

LOL only what 13 or 14 years ago!

Reactions: angusyoung

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It’s a foregone conclusion that Staal will. Just a question of which of Suzuki or KK will be moved to the bottom 6.

Assuming that no center gets hurt at any point in the season, which almost amazingly has not happened yet.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
It’s a foregone conclusion that Staal will. Just a question of which of Suzuki or KK will be moved to the bottom 6.
My bet it's KK and they will say they have to manage his ice time and observe how he does post covid.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
And he rejected Habs much larger offer to play 1C role as UFA in 2016

MA Godin asked MB yesterday and he confirmed it. Wonder if anyone asked Staal today

We have to keep in mind that when a player is a UFA, a lot of times the family has a little more of a say in where they sign. For all we know, his wife and kids would have preferred to stay in the States than to move to Canada. I'm not saying this was the case here. But it is an overlooked factor in free agency.

It was the same with Lecavalier when he chose to sign in Philly instead of Montreal after he was bought out by Tampa. His wife and kids wanted to stay in the States.

And sometimes, the player wants to sign with a team but the family doesn't come with them unless it's a long term contract.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
We have to keep in mind that when a player is a UFA, a lot of times the family has a little more of a say in where they sign. For all we know, his wife and kids would have preferred to stay in the States than to move to Canada. I'm not saying this was the case here. But it is an overlooked factor in free agency.

It was the same with Lecavalier when he chose to sign in Philly instead of Montreal after he was bought out by Tampa. His wife and kids wanted to stay in the States.

And sometimes, the player wants to sign with a team but the family doesn't come with them unless it's a long term contract.
Briere even said the reason he didn’t sign as UFA in 2007 (choosing Philly) was because his ex-wife (a Francophone Québécoise) wanted nothing to do with going back to Quebec or Canada.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I know they're older, but it's really refreshing that the guys we're getting for a stretch run/4th line playoff role are Perry and Staal over an Ott, Martenson, King, sort of combination.

Fully agreed.

This isn't a case of we got bigger just for the sake of getting bigger.

We got bigger with two guys who may be past their prime, but they still possess some of their skill.

Also, for what it's worth, I enjoyed Ott. Martinsen and King, no. But Ott, I had fun with him.

We wouldn't have these without Ott:
tenor.gif

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Something probably 90% NHL players are guilty of lol. They threw a party in their early twenties.

Jordan Staal charged with underage drinking? He was 18. If he was in Montreal, that’s not even a crime.

This really isn’t something we should remember the Staals for.
And if you read the article it states that both Staal brothers went to bed when asked to initially and had to be woken up after the second visit by the cops to leave the place since other lads were still partying loudly.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He really was.

Then he signed that big contract and lost some of his fight.

The contract would naturally provide him some comfort, but I do think he generally gave an honest effort.

He was a small, undrafted echler who didn't skate great for a guy his size. The most logical answer is that his season with Cole and Pacioretty was a smokescreen.

For a guy like him, just making it to the nhl is a great success in itself, so I think we should have been a bit more skeptical about that season becoming the normal expectation for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad