Confirmed with Link: Eric Staal (1/2 retained) traded to Montreal for '21 3rd & 5th round picks

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Spent. Hope his season improves in Montreal, has to be hard being away from his kids and the illness running through the team.

Reactions: joshjull

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
So true about family vs salary. It's hard for most of us on the board who are not at the same earning level to understand that the dollars they make don't change the fact that they are human beings whose families - wife and children, parents and siblings - matter very much to them. In that respect, they are no different than any of us.

IMO, the extra money does not compensate for the lost time and experiences you have with your family. I understand that one's job impacts family life in various ways for sure. I don't think you could pay me enough money to make me feel that it doesn't matter.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Ups the trade value of Hall and all the others immediately. That is, if he keeps going like that.
Was he actually going like that, or was it just that OT thing?

Reactions: jc17

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Ups the trade value of Hall and all the others immediately. That is, if he keeps going like that.
That's a good point. The more teams can convince themselves guys weren't producing just because its buffalo, the more they might want our guys

With that said, while I want him to succeed for that reason I know some people making ROR comparisons which is ridiculous

vHAB

Apr 21, 2007
Montreal

He was really quiet the whole game before that and took a lazy hooking penalty like 20 seconds into a power play, people were even trashing him in our GDT at one point during the game lol. To be fair to the guy he had been sitting in a hotel room for a week before this game but yeah had he not scored that goal in OT the talk would be that he showed nothing in his first game

Reactions: 2 others

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
The bigger takeaway is Krueger was a complete moron for consistently penciling him in as the #2 center even as Mitts and Cozens were rapidly developing their game.
I mean he was pretty decent still for Minnesota last year. Mitts didn’t even look like a for sure NHLer when we made the trade and you don’t wanna pencil a rookie in as 2C... I am still fine with the move for Staal but even happier we were able to move him for assets

Reactions: jc17

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I mean he was pretty decent still for Minnesota last year. Mitts didn’t even look like a for sure NHLer when we made the trade and you don’t wanna pencil a rookie in as 2C... I am still fine with the move for Staal but even happier we were able to move him for assets
As the season progressed it became obvious Staal was a spent commodity, and that Mitts and Cozens were dramatically starting to outperform (while getting inexplicably benched for games at a time). Yet night after night Kreuger kept throwing him out there as the 2C when he clearly needed to be demoted to the 4th line or even the press box. Kreuger stubbornly clung to his veteran favorites even as we sunk deeper and deeper into a hole of suck. Moving Staal to Montreal made this team instantly much better by freeing up time and space for Mitts. Good career for Staal, but a giant nothing burger during his stint in Buffalo. Definitely a swing and a miss by Adams on this acquisition.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
As the season progressed it became obvious Staal was a spent commodity, and that Mitts and Cozens were dramatically starting to outperform (while getting inexplicably benched for games at a time). Yet night after night Kreuger kept throwing him out there as the 2C when he clearly needed to be demoted to the 4th line or even the press box. Kreuger stubbornly clung to his veteran favorites even as we sunk deeper and deeper into a hole of suck. Moving Staal to Montreal made this team instantly much better by freeing up time and space for Mitts. Good career for Staal, but a giant nothing burger during his stint in Buffalo. Definitely a swing and a miss by Adams on this acquisition.
Sorry I misread your post and thought you were talking about before the season. I completely agree with your assessment

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Wasn’t it the first game of the season when Staal passed/lost the puck right in front of our net to the other team for the GWG. That’s all we needed to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad