Prospect Info: Eric Locke (2013, 189th) – '13-14: Saginaw #15 (OHL) – 2014: Not tendered a contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
pi-189-top-1.png
pi-189-top-2.png

pi-189-top-3.png
pi-189-top-4.png

pi-189-bio-left.png
pi-189-bio-right.png

header-350x60-scouting-roundup-left.png
header-350x60-scouting-roundup-right.png

Source | Quote and/or Scouting Report |
Offensive wing who stands equal to any stickhandler in this draft class. Was called upon to be the main man on a club in need of more offensive threats. He plays on the power play, and is not a player who neglects his responsibilities in his own zone. He has continued to add leg strength and all-around muscle. After being traded, he had both knee and concussion injuries, but still finished with 40 points. This season, he had over 60 points before February. His size may work against him, but his not afraid of bigger competitors and will stand up for himself against them with his fists.​
|
“He’s in the same situation as (last year’s captain) Garret Ross the previous year,” Spirit coach Greg Gilbert said. “He was an undrafted older player, but he had assets and abilities that teams wanted. Chicago drafted him and is happy with his progress. Eric is in the same position. He’s a powerful young man. He’s put a lot of work into his conditioning and his understanding of the game. He brings that work ethic to the game every day. That’s a great habit to have in your game.”​
|
I saw Locke quite a bit this season while keeping tabs on his Saginaw teammate, 2012 third-rounder Justin Kea. An undersized speedy playmaker who will turn 20-years old this fall, Locke re-emerged on the scouting scene in 2012-13, producing nearly 100 points of offense while showing a clear dedication away from the puck. His combination of energy and offense earned him the Most Improved Player in the OHL's Western Conference coaches poll. His complete game is coming around at just the right time, making him (at the very least) a candidate to be a scorer at the AHL level with plenty of NHL sleeper potential.​
McKeen's Hockey​
|
Locke is a smaller, but highly skilled centre. He skates well, always keeping his feet in motion. He makes sharp cuts and turns to lose checkers, possesses quick lateral agility as well. He’s not the biggest player so he can get knocked off the puck rather easily by larger defenders. He has very skilled hands as he can control the puck, make some impressive dekes and dangles to get around opponents. He also holds a very good shot that is both hard and accurate. He started using his strength and frame to compliment his skill this season which has had a very good effect on his game and production. He thinks the game well and seemingly always has a way out planned in his head. His work ethic really improved this season at both ends. Instinctively, he gets to the correct spots in the offensive zone to generate a scoring chance. Confidence played a large part in his offensive consistency this season in Saginaw. After jumping around the OHL for a few years, Locke finally landed in an environment and situation that was ideal for him. His game has matured well and he has been able to take on a leadership role on a young Spirit squad. May end up a better winger than centre at the next level.​
|
It's like the lightbulb finally went off or something. Previously, I'd always been hard on Locke as a player. I didn't even rank him inside my top 50 last year, despite the fact that he had previously been a fairly high profile player. I just felt like he hadn't really improved during his time in the OHL up to that point. He was still just trying to get by on being a speedy wing scorer, with little else to his game. This year, Locke was a completely different player. He was an obvious choice for most improved player in the West in the Coaches poll. He suddenly started using his speed to help him be a factor without the puck. And he added a mean streak and truculence to his game that wasn't previously there. Basically, Locke was no longer satisfied with being a complimentary player who let others do the hard work for him. He began taking over shifts by being all over the ice and getting involved in all facets of the game. He's always been a skilled player, but now the effort level and play in all three zones was improved to match it. If Locke would have played this way last year, he would have been a lock (no pun intended) for the first three rounds. This year, I think it remains to be seen where he goes, but I'd be VERY surprised if he doesn't go somewhere.​

header-350x60-multimedia-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

A/V Club

Draft-Day Interviews

2013.00.00 – Eric Locke speaks with the media after being selected 189th overall. <0:00>

Full Games (Log)

n/a

YouTube Clips

Last edited:

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
We could sign him for Rochester- could provide good offense for them. I don't know much about him to see if he projects anything out at a NHL level. But not bad- we drafted some overagers in the late rounds last year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Has the tools, finally started to care all over the ice this year. Was someone I was thinking they might look at as an undrafted invitee, but perhaps they heard someone else was going to throw a pick his way.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
In 185 career OHL games, the 19-year old has 90 goals and 101 assists.

191 points in 185 games, small or not, he must have some skill. Give him some AHL or even ECHL time and let's see what he can prove.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
FC had him at 105:

No. 105
ERIC LOCKE
POSITION: Centre
SHOOTS: Left
TEAM: Saginaw (OHL)
BORN: November 21, 1993
VITALS: 5’-9” / 185 Lbs
STATS: 68 GP 44 G 53 A 97 PTS 84 PIM
SCOUTING REPORT: Locke is a smaller, but highly skilled centre. He skates well, always keeping his feet in motion. He makes sharp
cuts and turns to lose checkers, possesses quick lateral agility as well. He’s not the biggest player so he can get knocked off the puck rather easily by larger defenders. He has very skilled hands as he can control the puck, make some impressive dekes and dangles to get around opponents. He also holds a very good shot that is both hard and accurate. He started using his strength and frame to compliment his skill this season which has had a very good effect on his game and production. He thinks the game well and seemingly always has a way out planned in his head. His work ethic really improved this season at both ends. Instinctively, he gets to the correct spots in the offensive zone to generate a scoring chance. Confidence played a large part in his offensive consistency this season in Saginaw. After jumping around the OHL for a few years, Locke finally landed in an environment and situation that was ideal for him. His game has matured well and he has been able to take on a leadership role on a young Spirit squad. May end up a better winger than centre at the next level.
NHL POTENTIAL: Top 6 Offensive Winger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Brock's re-draftee article:
1. Eric Locke - Saginaw Spirit
It's like the lightbulb finally went off or something. Previously, I'd always been hard on Locke as a player. I didn't even rank him inside my top 50 last year, despite the fact that he had previously been a fairly high profile player. I just felt like he hadn't really improved during his time in the OHL up to that point. He was still just trying to get by on being a speedy wing scorer, with little else to his game. This year, Locke was a completely different player. He was an obvious choice for most improved player in the West in the Coaches poll. He suddenly started using his speed to help him be a factor without the puck. And he added a mean streak and truculence to his game that wasn't previously there. Basically, Locke was no longer satisfied with being a complimentary player who let others do the hard work for him. He began taking over shifts by being all over the ice and getting involved in all facets of the game. He's always been a skilled player, but now the effort level and play in all three zones was improved to match it. If Locke would have played this way last year, he would have been a lock (no pun intended) for the first three rounds. This year, I think it remains to be seen where he goes, but I'd be VERY surprised if he doesn't go somewhere.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Locke at one point was linemates with Kassian in Windsor when Locke was a rookie. It was Zack-smurf-smurf.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Just a little side note: in his entire time in Saginaw he hasn't played at center even though he is listed as one. Been thriving at wing though. Not a whole lot of flaws in his game besides his size. Was a jack of all trades last year for the Spirit (PK, PP, goal scorer, playmaker, etc.)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Teammate of Kea.

Will turn 20 this fall. So will he go back to the OHL or AHL?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
DraftSite wrote:
Offensive wing who stands equal to any stickhandler in this draft class. Was called upon to be the main man on a club in need of more offensive threats. He plays on the power play, and is not a player who neglects his responsibilities in his own zone. He has continued to add leg strength and all-around muscle. After being traded, he had both knee and concussion injuries, but still finished with 40 points. This season, he had over 60 points before February. His size may work against him, but his not afraid of bigger competitors and will stand up for himself against them with his fists.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
He could be the Tom Brady of the NHL, drafted 7th round, takes over first line in Buffalo and wins them a cup on a 100 point season.

Hey it could happen...

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
He could be the Tom Brady of the NHL, drafted 7th round, takes over first line in Buffalo and wins them a cup on a 100 point season.

Hey it could happen...

Sounds a lot like St. Louis (although he wasn't drafted). Stature and everything.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
The Sabres seventh-round pick, center Eric Locke, will be with the Amerks as well.

Locke, who turns 21 in November, scored 44-53-97 in 68 games for the Ontario Hockey League’s Saginaw Spirit. The Sabres list him at 5-10/184. While he had the benefit of maturity (being 20), he obviously has skill since he ranked he ranked third in points and fourth in goals in the OHL.
http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/kevino/?p=4605

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
The highlight package makes me wonder what, other than size and being an overage, caused this guy to be a 7th rounder. Just from the eyeball test it looks like he finishes a bit like Danny Briere. Gets the greasy goals around the crease but also overpowers goalies with the wrist shot. Gets around the ice pretty well to boot, with the #15 you'd think it was Derek Roy at times.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The highlight package makes me wonder what, other than size and being an overage, caused this guy to be a 7th rounder. Just from the eyeball test it looks like he finishes a bit like Danny Briere. Gets the greasy goals around the crease but also overpowers goalies with the wrist shot. Gets around the ice pretty well to boot, with the #15 you'd think it was Derek Roy at times.

It took him two full draft cycles to finally wake up to play a more complete game. This was his last pass through -- if he didn't get drafted he was UFA which leads me to believe the Sabres thought someone else might throw a pick his way in the final round so rather than gamble that he be there, they took him. He had talent, but he didn't put together that he needed to play all of the ice, with and without the puck, until this season.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Anyone know what happened to this guy? Is he out of hockey? He was fairly intriguing for a 7th round pick. I thought he was going to play in Rochester or Elmira this year. He put up 60 points in 48 games in the OHL last year. Or maybe he's injured?

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Anyone know what happened to this guy? Is he out of hockey? He was fairly intriguing for a 7th round pick. I thought he was going to play in Rochester or Elmira this year. He put up 60 points in 48 games in the OHL last year. Or maybe he's injured?

Currently playing for St. Francis Xavier in the CIS. 12 points in 13 games, but he's likelyhood of playing in the Buffalo organization is close to zero now. Not that he isn't a decent player, but we've got too many prospects and not enough seats at the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad