Player Discussion Eric Gryba

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So I know that some people felt that we got boned in terms of in essence trading out Marincin for Gryba. I also know that there are some that simply do not like his game.

My take is that he adds physicality, someone to clear the crease, someone to stand up for teammates and a solid 3rd pairing presence.

His stats so far.....

48gp. 1-5-6 +1 62pim. 56sog. 119 hits 72 blocked shots in 17:55 TOI/game and he's 2nd on the team in SH TOI/game.

He's 1 of only 2 defensemen on our team to be a plus player having played more than 20 games. Davidson is the other.

I'd be happy if we could sign him to a 3 year deal for under $2 million AAV.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Depends on who we get for our top4 RD.
If its someone with size and grit then Gryba can be let go.
2yr is the max I would give him. 3rd year would make him unmovable down the road.

1.5M x 2yrs should be the starting offer. There really is no point trading him for a 4th\5th rd pick.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
He's not as bad as I thought he'd be but signing him is just dumb imo. He's slow and takes a lot of penalties, and I don't see any room there is for him.

Klefbom, Sekera, Nurse, Davidson, Reinhart are basically locks to be here next year and I'd prefer not to have either of Nurse/Reinhart in the top 4, but sadly Nurse probably plays there.

Klefbom-new guy
Sekera-new guy (hopefully)
Davidson/Nurse-Reinhart

That's not even counting Fayne who they might have a hard time dumping, so having potentially Fayne (3.75) and Gryba at ~2m is just dumb cap management. Then a Ference buyout, they just can't afford to spend money on bottom of the roster players when they desperately need an upgrade on defense.

Spending almost 6 million on bottom pairing defensemen is dumb, but there's just no point in keeping him for what he'll get. Davidson and one of the Reinhart/Nurse will be a fine third pairing.

Moving Gryba for a 3rd/4th is the right move.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
He's not as bad as I thought he'd be but signing him is just dumb imo. He's slow and takes a lot of penalties, and I don't see any room there is for him.

Klefbom, Sekera, Nurse, Davidson, Reinhart are basically locks to be here next year and I'd prefer not to have either of Nurse/Reinhart in the top 4, but sadly Nurse probably plays there.

All are LHS and only Nurse brings physicality. Gryba can be kept around as #7 Dman.
He has looked decent with Reinhart and Davidson as his partner. Kills penalties, wont be expensive and brings physicality.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
All are LHS and only Nurse brings physicality. Gryba can be kept around as #7 Dman.
He has looked decent with Reinhart and Davidson as his partner. Kills penalties, wont be expensive and brings physicality.

Paying your 7th defensemen ~2m is something a bad team does. He's right-handed but teams have run a defense with all lefties before and have been fine.

They need every bit of cap space to upgrade their top 4, not to waste a couple million to keep Eric Gryba around because he hits and fights.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I like Gryba. He does his role well.

He takes far too much **** around here. He'll make the odd bad pass, or look slow on occasion, but little foibles are what you get from bottom paring D. People want to have top 2 dmen on the bottom pairing, but that just isn't feasible.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Klefbom-new guy
Sekera-new guy (hopefully)
Davidson/Nurse-Reinhart

That's not even counting Fayne who they might have a hard time dumping, so having potentially Fayne (3.75) and Gryba at ~2m is just dumb cap management. Then a Ference buyout, they just can't afford to spend money on bottom of the roster players when they desperately need an upgrade on defense.

Spending almost 6 million on bottom pairing defensemen is dumb, but there's just no point in keeping him for what he'll get. Davidson and one of the Reinhart/Nurse will be a fine third pairing.

Moving Gryba for a 3rd/4th is the right move.

Banking on all that youth is dumb. Look at Nurse's growing pains, there is no guarantee what we'll see from Nurse, Davidson and Reinhart next season either. I'd also take Gryba over Fayne as Fayne is as soft as Charmin and has even less offensive instincts than Gryba does.

As far as I'm concerned we add a RHD to replace Schultz and jettison Fayne even if we retain a bit and we are in decent shape.

Klefbom-RHD upgrade
Nurse/Davidson-Sekera
Davidson/Nurse-Reinhart/Gryba
Gryba/Reinhart

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Paying your 7th defensemen ~2m is something a bad team does. He's right-handed but teams have run a defense with all lefties before and have been fine.

They need every bit of cap space to upgrade their top 4, not to waste a couple million to keep Eric Gryba around because he hits and fights.

Who said that he's automatically our 7th D? IMO he has outplayed a lot of the youth this season and guys like Fayne as well.

Of course I'd love it if he'd sign for $1 million AAV/3 years but I doubt that he'd be that cheap. If he's a $1.5 million 7th D that's all good in my books because we may ultimately see one of Reinhart or Davidson dealt.

He does hit and fight but he is hardly the pylon that people like you suggest that he is, if he was then why is he a plus player?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He takes far too much **** around here. He'll make the odd bad pass, or look slow on occasion, but little foibles are what you get from bottom paring D. People want to have top 2 dmen on the bottom pairing, but that just isn't feasible.

Well Marincin got moved out and some people here think that he's the cats meow simply because he's a better skater. He of 30+ games 0 points and a -2.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Sign him for the #6 spot and if a young guy overtakes him then it's fine because the rookie will make elc money. Also having him in case of injuries is great.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Banking on all that youth is dumb. Look at Nurse's growing pains, there is no guarantee what we'll see from Nurse, Davidson and Reinhart next season either. I'd also take Gryba over Fayne as Fayne is as soft as Charmin and has even less offensive instincts than Gryba does.

As far as I'm concerned we add a RHD to replace Schultz and jettison Fayne even if we retain a bit and we are in decent shape.

Klefbom-RHD upgrade
Nurse/Davidson-Sekera
Davidson/Nurse-Reinhart/Gryba
Gryba/Reinhart

I agree it's dumb but I think it's probably really likely because I can't see them not playing all of those young defensemen.

I'd take Fayne over Gryba because you're essentially paying almost 3 million for Gryba if you retain on Fayne and sign Gryba. And Fayne plays with Sekera against much better player so Gryba's physicality doesn't really matter to me.

If that's their defense for next year that's likely one of the worst in the league's still, and absolutely not a playoff caliber defense.

Who said that he's automatically our 7th D? IMO he has outplayed a lot of the youth this season and guys like Fayne as well.

Of course I'd love it if he'd sign for $1 million AAV/3 years but I doubt that he'd be that cheap. If he's a $1.5 million 7th D that's all good in my books because we may ultimately see one of Reinhart or Davidson dealt.

He does hit and fight but he is hardly the pylon that people like you suggest that he is, if he was then why is he a plus player?

The poster I quoted did, haha. "Gryba can be kept around as #7 Dman."

And plus/minus is a dumb stat. Sekera is -14 but he's a far better player than Gryba is.

I just think they can spend money elsewhere, instead of paying a slow, no offense defensemen when they are already crowded for next year.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
3 years around 2M per would be quite an overpay. I'd be fine with a one year deal, nothing more.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I appreciate Gryba's physicality and he is defensively adequate so long as he is in a 3rd pairing role, his knock is his ability to move the puck, he's a bit slow at moving it in general and even with time doesn't make the greatest plays. Giving him 3 years and anything approaching $2 million would be a big mistake, keep him to one year deals, 2 at most and the $$$ should be in the $1.5M or under range. Bottomline though is we need to improve our top end and Fayne is already signed, making me think Fayne will fall backwards into the 3rd pairing slot, his buy-out cap hit would stretch 4 years which is a little bit long to be tying ourselves up for.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Well Marincin got moved out and some people here think that he's the cats meow simply because he's a better skater. He of 30+ games 0 points and a -2.

-2 with zero points on the Toronto, worst roster in the nhl, maple leafs should get an eyebrow raised.

Marincin needs to be better to be considered a legit top 4 defenseman offensively but his defensive game is something special.

Great skating, solid hockey iq, and a b52 wingspan means he gets a piece of every puck.

Because of his offensive side in junior I think his offense will come but one has to realize he is facing top pairing competition and no PP time or offensive zone starts.

I like Reinharts tools and potential a bit more but there is no question imo Marincin is the better right now.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's alright as a 6/7.

If he gets anything even approaching 2 million average though, Chiarelli isn't doing his job.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's alright as a 6/7.

If he gets anything even approaching 2 million average though, Chiarelli isn't doing his job.

I liken him to a less tough version of Adam McQuaid and McQuaid is making $2.75 million AAV for 3 more years beyond this one.

Ideally we can ink him to around $1.25-$1.5 million but he is an UFA and is currently making $1.25 million so I'm sure that he's out for a raise.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Is gryba a 1 or 2 D-man? but yet that is the minutes he is getting. My beef is that he is being overused

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I like him as a bottom pair d-man.

I wouldn't do anything more than 1 year tho

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He's alright as a 6/7.

We're in a world where Clayton Stoner gets 4 year/$3.25M per year contracts.

I don't even know what 3rd pairing D should be paid anymore.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Yeah, its incomprehensible how many posters refer to him as a 7th D or a 3rd pair. He's getting harder assignments than that on a lot of nights and certainly more than bit play.

What with injuries he's and the Fayne disaster he's certainly played a bigger role.

I quite enjoy what Gryba has brought to the team. Its funny how pissed the sens players were at him in the game. That kind of thing doesn't happen if a guys attributes aren't missed. Sens were actually missing Grybas toughness bigtime in that game.
Damn straight if Gryba is still a Senator and not an Oiler then that game has a whole different tone.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Is gryba a 1 or 2 D-man? but yet that is the minutes he is getting. My beef is that he is being overused

Welp, the Oilers defense is trash, so that kind of stuff happens. I'd prefer if he got less minutes because we had some good defenders, but with Klef out, and the rest sucking ass, he is getting overused.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
-2 with zero points on the Toronto, worst roster in the nhl, maple leafs should get an eyebrow raised.

Marincin needs to be better to be considered a legit top 4 defenseman offensively but his defensive game is something special.

Great skating, solid hockey iq, and a b52 wingspan means he gets a piece of every puck.

Because of his offensive side in junior I think his offense will come but one has to realize he is facing top pairing competition and no PP time or offensive zone starts.

I like Reinharts tools and potential a bit more but there is no question imo Marincin is the better right now.

My main point is that some were trashing this move probably because they were Marincin fans first and foremost and were ticked that in essence they were traded for each other.

I really don't think that MM will ever reach his offensive potential TBH. I see him as more of a Fayne type of a D which I am not much of a fan of TBH.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I like him as a bottom pair d-man.

I wouldn't do anything more than 1 year tho

So basically he walks for more security and we are left with 1 less option on D.

Yeah, its incomprehensible how many posters refer to him as a 7th D or a 3rd pair. He's getting harder assignments than that on a lot of nights and certainly more than bit play.

What with injuries he's and the Fayne disaster he's certainly played a bigger role.

I quite enjoy what Gryba has brought to the team. Its funny how pissed the sens players were at him in the game. That kind of thing doesn't happen if a guys attributes aren't missed. Sens were actually missing Grybas toughness bigtime in that game.
Damn straight if Gryba is still a Senator and not an Oiler then that game has a whole different tone.

He's a solid 3rd pairing guy, thinking that we get him back at his current salary and for 1 year no less is not fair to the player.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So I know that some people felt that we got boned in terms of in essence trading out Marincin for Gryba. I also know that there are some that simply do not like his game.

My take is that he adds physicality, someone to clear the crease, someone to stand up for teammates and a solid 3rd pairing presence.

His stats so far.....

48gp. 1-5-6 +1 62pim. 56sog. 119 hits 72 blocked shots in 17:55 TOI/game and he's 2nd on the team in SH TOI/game.

He's 1 of only 2 defensemen on our team to be a plus player having played more than 20 games. Davidson is the other.

I'd be happy if we could sign him to a 3 year deal for under $2 million AAV.

I think he's been good for us. Just hated giving up on Marincin so early while overpaying for Griffin who isn't even an upgrade. I think we could have gotten Gryba without giving up Marincin. I think Chia made moves for the sake of making a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad