Eric Fehr For Masterton

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Eric Fehr is one of the best feel-good stories in the NHL in recent years.

Many Caps fans didn't like the guy mostly because Caps took him 18th in the 2003 Draft. Ryan Getzlaf was 19th, Brent Burns was 20th, and Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Corey Perry all want later in the first round.

His first stint with the Caps he suffered from chronic shoulder injuries that prevented him from becoming a goal scorer he was supposed to be after being a two-time 50-goal scorer in the WHL. In 2011, he was traded for almost nothing to Winnipeg as a hometown boy for the relocated Jets.

After missing 112 of 328 games between 2008 and 2012, Eric Fehr ended up without NHL contract prior to the work stoppage. To be honest, at that point I thought we've seen the last of Eric Fehr in the NHL. He headed to Finland where he was a point-per-game player during the lockout and received an invitation to the Caps camp. He worked his way to a one-year deal there.

Then the Caps re-signed him to another cheap contract, this time two-year long. Adam Oates' legacy in Washington will be that of a villain, not a hero, but he resurrected Fehr's career by trying him at center in the 2013 pre-season to solve the logjam at RW position. The next season Fehr bounced all over the line-up, from first line to healthy scratch, and playing all three forward positions. Year later, Barry Trotz returned Fehr to his natural RW spot full-time, but soon realized he was far more effective centering our third line.

Fehr, who leads the NHL in goals scored in ourdoor games (4) is now just 0.01 point-per-game behind his career-high 2009-10 rate and plays his best all-around hockey ever. He's second on the team and in top-50 in the league in goals, tied with the likes of James Neal, Ryan Getzlaf (irony), Ryan Johansen, and ahead of Jamie Benn and Sidney Crosby.

I think Fehr's path is a great example to players who suffer from chronic injuries. His perseverance and hard work paid off and he's become an important player for Washington.

LionelHutz*

"That's cute, I wrecked my shoulder twice in the calender year and battled cancer."-Olli Maatta.

HOLDITHERE*

Ovechkin is the only one allowed to win trophies here, mister.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
"That's cute, I wrecked my shoulder twice in the calender year and battled cancer."-Olli Maatta.

Battled? Did he go through chemo or radiation therapy or something? I thought he just had a tumor removed from his neck that turned out to be cancerous.

HOLDITHERE*

Battled? Did he go through chemo or radiation therapy or something? I thought he just had a tumor removed from his neck that turned out to be cancerous.

How dare you?! Don't you know that simply having cancer makes you a brave soul? And a warrior? And a fighter? And did I mention brave? I mean he's so brave. For agreeing..to...accept...can..cer...

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
Fehr leads the league in outdoor goals? Well im convinced, give him all the trophies

penguins2946*

I really don't see how anyone other than Letang can win this. Do people forget about his stroke from last year?

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Gotta think Pekka Rinne has to be in the conversation for Masterton. Hip surgery, came back, played a few games, got a very rare infection in his hip-joint that threatened not only his playing career, but his life. Had more surgery, was on IV antibiotics for 3-4 months, could not walk without crutches or a walker through that whole time and missed 55 games...came back this season leads or at least top 3 in every goalie statistic in the league, most wins and is leading the Preds to the best win% in the NHL. If that's not perseverance I don't know what is...

But I'm gonna say Olli Maata get's it (and deservedly so) in the end.

penguins2946*

Gotta think Pekka Rinne has to be in the conversation for Masterton. Hip surgery, came back, played a few games, got a very rare infection in his hip-joint that threatened not only his playing career, but his life. Had more surgery, was on IV antibiotics for 3-4 months, could not walk without crutches or a walker through that whole time and missed 55 games...came back this season leads or at least top 3 in every goalie statistic in the league, most wins and is leading the Preds to the best win% in the NHL. If that's not perseverance I don't know what is...

Oh Rinne is a good one as well. I don't think Maatta gets it, Letang is more deserving IMO.

LionelHutz*

Well said. :handclap::handclap:

I'm down for Rinne winning it if Olli/Letang doesn't, Next legit deserving guy.

Honeslty have no clue who the Pens would nominate, Both are worthy candidates.

helgo

May 6, 2010
Budweis
I can understand, why do the fans want their player to be the best, toughest, fastest, most underrated and whatever, but seriously these "heh cancer, MY player lost both of his arms and he still has the best FOs percentage on the team" (end of obvious hyperbole) types of comments in Masterton discussion always sort of freak me out.

LionelHutz*

How is any of this " perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey, come back from career– or even life-threatening illness or injury"?

LionelHutz*

I'm not trying to sound like I'm burying the guy but a back injury like x years ago isnt merit enough for a Masterton nomination x years later later. Maatta wrecking his shoulder last year, then Thyroid cancer then wrecking his shoulder again/Letang's bounce back from a ******* Stroke last year/Rinne's laundry list of injuries last year>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fehr's little back injury that was what 5 years ago?

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007

That's the kind of thing that I think deserves the Masterton.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'm not trying to sound like I'm burying the guy but a back injury like x years ago isnt merit enough for a Masterton nomination x years later later. Maatta wrecking his shoulder last year, then Thyroid cancer then wrecking his shoulder again/Letang's bounce back from a ******* Stroke last year/Rinne's laundry list of injuries last year>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fehr's little back injury that was what 5 years ago?

You're taking this too seriously.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
I remember reading about Fehr not being able to use either of his hands for months after having surgeries on both shoulders at the same offseason. Thankfully, his wife is a nurse so he was receiving professional care 24/7.

i think if we're talking about perseverance, going through pain for many years, being that close to being done in the league and then working your way all the way back to being a legit player and one of the leaders of your team takes as much perseverance as humanly possible.

In the end, it's not a trophy to the player who suffered from the worst injury/disease. Fehr is right up there with Rinne in my opinion as far as perseverance and dedication go.

Letang and Maatta weren't scratched for weeks, were they.

Well Fehr wrecked his shoulders like... five times, probably. Also, he didn't have a back injury.

It's pretty obvious you have no clue what you're talking about.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad