Eric Fehr For Masterton

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
I think you made a good case for him being Washington's nominee but I don't think he'll win the trophy or anything.
He doesn't even have any competition in Washington.

I just don't think many people understand what this trophy stands for. How can Maatta's month-long cancer treatment come close to Fehr's five-year long stint of setbacks and disappointments including what easily could have been a career-ending medical condition.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I hope this doesn't become a dick-measuring contest whose favorite player has had to return from more injuries.

Anyways, I would nominate him. I thought he had missed his chance to be an impact player at the NHL level. Good on him for coming back and playing the way he has.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
He doesn't even have any competition in Washington.

I just don't think many people understand what this trophy stands for. How can Maatta's month-long cancer treatment come close to Fehr's five-year long stint of setbacks and disappointments including what easily could have been a career-ending medical condition.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I wish the focus of the Masterton was more about the dedication to hockey part and less about the "which hockey player suffered the most/went through the biggest tragedy last year" stuff. Or maybe that multiple awards were given out, I don't know. But it is what it is and I just don't think that's enough for Fehr to get it, but maybe I'm wrong.

dbridge

Bluth Lockout 2015
Nov 28, 2010
Chicago
I think you've laid out a good argument for Fehr, and I think he would be a good candidate based on the description of the award. But like other awards, the description doesn't always match the criteria of voters. It isn't so much about "perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey" as it is about having the best feel-good or sad story. Winners of the award since the 04-05 lockout:

Teemu Selanne - Came back from knee surgery to have his best year in awhile.
Phil Kessel - Cancer
Jason Blake - Leukemia
Steve Sullivan - Came back after missing 2 seasons due to back problems.
Jose Theordore - Son died
Ian Laperriere - Heart and soul player retired after blocking too many shots with his face.
Max Pacioretty - Broken neck
Josh Harding - MS
Dominic Moore - Wife died

Fehr may have worked hard to come back from his injuries, but he didn't miss two years like Sullivan, wasn't forced into retirement like Laperriere, and didn't break his neck like Pacioretty. He's definitely a good example of dedication and perseverance and whatnot, and he may even get an invite to the awards show as part of the final 3, but I just think he's going to have a tough time beating out someone who had cancer or had a stroke when it comes down to what the writers vote for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->