Eric Brewer

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Solid top-2 defenseman, useful in every situation (D-zone, O-zone, PP, PK), big but mobile, physical but a good passer too. Very happy we have him.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I think his skill level is that of a very solid second pairing guy, but due to our weakness on the blueline he was put into the role of a #1. He is a well rounded player who I am glad to have back with the team, although I don't think he can sustain such solid play for another season if he's consistently paired with a liability, which is pretty much everyone but Hedman.

stammerhammer91

Dec 21, 2008
He was and is exactly what this team needed and needs. Im very happy to have him and he took a nice discount too :)

vinnythe deuce

Jan 12, 2009
Tampa Boy
Didn't know much about Brewer when we got him, don't show many Blues games in Tampa. He has been the best addition to this team Yzerman has made, in my opinion . Roli was a huge pick up and he has done nothing but exceeded my expectations, however he's signed to a 1-year contract and is 41 (turns 42 right around the start of the year) so that's why I'd say Brewer has been the best. Brewer really solidified our defense game-by-game as the season and playoffs progressed. He wasn't my first choice to work on the first unit of our power play, but he did play well most of the time. He was very physical around the net and would really calm things down around Roli when it got rough. He will be a member of this team hopefully for the next four years and doesn't have a big contract. I watched Game 7 last night and there was one play where Kunitz was wacking away at Roli as the whistle blew and after the whistle. Brewer came flying into the crease throwing blows with his right hand at Kunitz and knocked him down and into the ice. Overall, I am thrilled we acquired him last year for the run.

Doctor Drej

Unregistered User
Jan 10, 2009
The Quiet Room
He's a clear the crease defenseman that we sorely needed last year. Like mentioned above, he's fully capable of playing in all situations. Takes the load off of Hedman some, allowing Hedman to develop at a better pace which is probably one the more underrated benefits of having Brewer.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
While I echo all the positives already posted, I'll also admit to a hefty fear of him missing significant time due to injury. It didn't bite us in the short term from the deadline through the playoffs, but will surely take a toll sometime over the 4 years he's signed here.

He's good enough that we'll probably be in trouble defensively any time we've got to get by without him.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
I like his play, gritty and decisive. With our D being one of the weaknesses and it's not the positioning or lack of gap control, we are very easy to be pushed around in the slot and net area, he brings the necessary physical play as well as a good skill level that makes a difference.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I like his play, gritty and decisive. With our D being one of the weaknesses and it's not the positioning or lack of gap control, we are very easy to be pushed around in the slot and net area, he brings the necessary physical play as well as a good skill level that makes a difference.

You're talking about our other defensemen here, correct?

Either way, I disagree.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
You're talking about our other defensemen here, correct?

Either way, I disagree.

Players like Bergeron, clark and Lundin left alot to be desired in front of the net last yr. Kubina and Ohlund have seen better days at the physical end and Hedman never was a physical player. Brewer is the only one that has a presence in front of our net on a consistent basis. For the majority of teams this poses no big deal but with teams like the Bruins, Pitt, Philly and Wash that like to crash the net. We struggle against that style. And when we collapse, our forwards are not physically agressive enough that the opposing team pays the price per se.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Players like Bergeron, clark and Lundin left alot to be desired in front of the net last yr. Kubina and Ohlund have seen better days at the physical end and Hedman never was a physical player. Brewer is the only one that has a presence in front of our net on a consistent basis. For the majority of teams this poses no big deal but with teams like the Bruins, Pitt, Philly and Wash that like to crash the net. We struggle against that style. And when we collapse, our forwards are not physically agressive enough that the opposing team pays the price per se.

I agree with this.

Kubina and Ohlund are crap around the crease, especially for their size. Hedman tends to get a little feisty with guys after the whistle, but he plays a ridiculously soft game as well. We saw it too many times last season where opposing players would get multiple chances right around the net on rebounds, and this is because our defense was usually scrambling around looking for the puck instead of clearing the crease.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Hedman hits

Not very often though.

Physicality is a way of defending the net, and getting penalties. What difference does it make whether a d-man pokechecks or hits the guy, if he's taken off the puck? They lose their structure if they step up on the shooter too often.

The Lightning have also tended to draw the scorn of league officials anytime they get proactive. Ohlund being a prime example of some BS penalties called.

All of which are very good teams, but I don't see your point.

Washington got swept, and we came within one goal of putting the Bruins away.

We did not meet the Flyers in the playoffs, but the season series between the two was:
TB 3-2
TB 8-7
TB 4-0
PHI 4-3(SO)

so I don't see a particular problem against them either. I think our defense (overall) is physical enough.

On your point about our forwards not being overly aggro, if they're not, what is left for the defensemen to do once they're beaten, other than to block the shot or pass? As I said, if our D step up on the guy, they leave their spot open for quick passing if they don't manage to take possession.

Last edited:

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Our D simply didn't go a very good job of clearing the crease, which is especially sad because we have several big bodies back there. Our physicality is fairly poor in general, and I'd like to see some guys step it up in that regard next season. I agree with the poster who said we don't make people pay the price enough. We need to be more agressive both with and without the puck, and it can be done without ruining the structure.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
I think his skill level is that of a very solid second pairing guy, but due to our weakness on the blueline he was put into the role of a #1. He is a well rounded player who I am glad to have back with the team, although I don't think he can sustain such solid play for another season if he's consistently paired with a liability, which is pretty much everyone but Hedman.

As a Blues fan that saw Brewer for several years, this is probably the best assessment of Eric Brewer in this thread.

Eric was injured much of his time in St. Louis, dealing with a nerve issue in his back. This past season was the best he looked in a Blues uniform. Add in the firepower of the Bolts, and his downsides (mental mistakes, etc.) won't be as glaring as they were in St. Louis during our lean years. Add in that you didn't trade Pronger for him, and things are good. :D

LeafsFan2342

#CallupColborne
Dec 4, 2010
Toronto
Garbage. I dont get how people think hes good. If you watched him late in the season and in the playoffs he couldnt make a breakout pass let alone a regular pass, and he cant shoot. Probably has leadership skills but thats why we got Marty and Vinny.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Garbage. I dont get how people think hes good. If you watched him late in the season and in the playoffs he couldnt make a breakout pass let alone a regular pass, and he cant shoot. Probably has leadership skills but thats why we got Marty and Vinny.

He said Brewer, not Ohlund.

newham89

Feb 11, 2010
Nottingham, UK

WE have Marty and Vinny, you have Connolly and Kadri!

This is the same Leafs fan that proposed this:

:bolts
Ryan Ellis
Blake Geoffrion

:nashville
Steve Downie
Ryan Malone
2012 2nd rnd pick

Go away troll.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
How about that Eric Brewer

Having a heck of a season so far, great game tonight! Do you think he leads Lightning D in points by the season end?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad