GWT: EPL - Matchweek 34 (ft. MW 29)

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Trossard getting a yellow for stepping on a foot - fine, agreed. But Jackson got nothing for going studs up into Tomi's ankle.

Make it make sense.
And then give Arteta one for probably calling that out...

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Wtf Jackson. I swear the quality of finishing by every striker in the EPL is shockingly bad.

I don't watch Serie A as much as PL but I wonder if you could make an argument that Serie A is pretty much on par with PL. Hard to say as I'm not too familiar with the lower table of Serie A. But I think I might take the top half of the Serie A table above the PL's. The only thing that gives me real pause is how good City is.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think finishing is a lot harder than we give it credit for and we tend to remember misses more than makes.
I don't deny that but this year specificaly it seems like even having an open net opportunity is an adventure for a striker.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I don't watch Serie A as much as PL but I wonder if you could make an argument that Serie A is pretty much on par with PL. Hard to say as I'm not too familiar with the lower table of Serie A. But I think I might take the top half of the Serie A table above the PL's. The only thing that gives me real pause is how good City is.
I watch Serie A, the pace is very slow but tactics and execution blow the EPL out of the water.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The standard of coaching in Serie A is quite a bit higher, and I think they're definitely value for how good they've been in Europe this year. Within the top half, though, there's a lot of inconsistency week-to-week performance-wise, as I can tell.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think finishing is a lot harder than we give it credit for and we tend to remember misses more than makes.
The issue with Jackson wasn't that he missed the chance per se, it's that he ducked his head down and stuck his arm out like he was scared of the ball.

There's just no earthly reason for a striker to do that in that situation.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The issue with Jackson wasn't that he missed the chance per se, it's that he ducked his head down and stuck his arm out like he was scared of the ball.

Jackson very clearly lives or dies with his confidence, and I think the back-to-back flack he's gotten since the PK incident (justified) and the FA Cup semi (unjustified and veered in some corners into racist abuse) has him playing tense and overthinking today.

It's not just his finishing, when he's confident his interplay is close to Giroud level, and today he's been killing counters.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Yeah, I wasn't talking about that chance in particular, but the more general point about the state of finishing in the EPL.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Jackson very clearly lives or dies with his confidence, and I think the back-to-back flack he's gotten since the PK incident (justified) and the FA Cup semi (unjustified and veered in some corners into racist abuse) has him playing tense and overthinking today.

It's not just his finishing, when he's confident his interplay is close to Giroud level, and today he's been killing counters.
Is he the solution long term or do you feel Chelsea will look for a new starter next year?

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Is he the solution long term or do you feel Chelsea will look for a new starter next year?
I think it would be very foolish for Chelsea to look for a new starter - he's had a lot of really good games and shown that he can be up to the level, and this is only his second full season of first team football.

But how I feel is not what Chelsea does LOL

Ten Hag is still complaining about calls from last September. At least the rest are "normal" complainers.
add ETH to the appendix of my list, how could I forget the Crying Dutchman

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I never listen to Ten Hag but I also have some tidbit of his press conference here and there on social media and I must admit I always laugh at how he always defend the players performance and results. You could swear by his comment that Man United is the best team in the EPL.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Appendix?? That man needs to have a full 2 page photo with his name in bold.
I love when rivals can share an enemy

also i think it was @Savant who posted about Enzo and Caicedo playing together...

it is definitely a concern. Caicedo looks a lot more comfortable next to Gallagher, i think because he knows that Gally can and will sweep behind if shit goes awry. I think there likely is a tactical answer that can have all three of them in and get the most out of all, but the double pivot is definitely not working.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I never listen to Ten Hag but I also have some tidbit of his press conference here and there on social media and I must admit I always laugh at how he always defend the players performance and results. You could swear by his comment that Man United is the best team in the EPL.
The man said he's only been able to select his strongest squad once in 18 months ... and it was conveniently the dogshit team that lucked into beating City 2-1 over a year ago. Yeah they've had injuries, but he talks out of his ass constantly.

Edit: And that team for the City win didn't even have McTominay as a starter, so you now he's an idiot. They'd be in a relegation fight without his timely goals this year.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Chelsea is a fascinating case of 'where do they go from there?'

I think they pretty much have no choice but to quadruple down on what they've done because of the contracts and money but they've looked the same all year - ultra inconsistent veering on outright bad. How much wiggle room are they going to have for potential improvements? Are they actually going to lose Gallagher (out of all players!)?

Reactions: maclean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad