GWT: EPL - Matchweek 30

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
"Sterling on the bench after being booed here against Leicester." isn't the best way to frame that he was f***ing awful in that game.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
"Sterling on the bench after being booed here against Leicester." isn't the best way to frame that he was f***ing awful in that game.
Pundits have been doing a full court press to defend him. Making it about his "never give up" attitude. Playing badly is one thing, okay yeah, but taking the penalty off of Palmer and then insisting on the free kick too is pure selfishness. Too focused on his own redemption arc. Eventually he has to recognize that he's the oldest player in this team.

Reactions: luiginb and Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Enzo is keeping shots down now but just shooting them straight into a defender.

Palmer and Gallagher have developed some great chemistry this season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Welp, goal disallowed as it hit Disasi's arm.

He was also wearing a Burnley defender and having his shirt pulled pretty bad which impacted his header attempt...

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think it’s a penalty. That was Cucurella defending where he’s let the guy in behind and tried to get away with an accidental on purpose foul. I don’t think it should have been a second yellow though

@hatterson

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
COLD PALMER!

I think it’s a penalty. That was Cucurella defending where he’s let the guy in behind and tried to get away with an accidental on purpose foul. I don’t think it should have been a second yellow though

@hatterson
Burnley getting screwed...Mudryk should've been carded for diving.
100% that was a penalty, he sticks his arm across Mudryk's shoulder/neck and sticks his leg between Murdryk's legs. Any player who does that is begging to get called.

I don't think they needed the second yellow there, but he's given out 2 yellows for similar plays so far this game so he's been consistent.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
COLD PALMER!

100% that was a penalty, he sticks his arm across Mudryk's shoulder/neck and sticks his leg between Murdryk's legs. Any player who does that is begging to get called.

I don't think they needed the second yellow there, but he's given out 2 yellows for similar plays so far this game so he's been consistent.
Maybe it’s consistent but I thought all three of those yellows were soft and especially for a second yellow

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Maybe it’s consistent but I thought all three of those yellows were soft and especially for a second yellow
I think they were soft as well, but I appreciate an official who sets a standard and sticks with it at least. So many change what they call throughout a game and it just causes confusion. Assignon literally got a yellow for the same play earlier, he should have learned.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

@hatterson
Didn't watch it live but just watched it on the other window. I think it's an awful call live and an example of how VAR fails routinely in England. They've repeatedly taken the stance that if the foul is given on the pitch and there's any contact VAR is never going to overturn it.

Mudyrk botches his touch and then feels some contact and flops to the ground.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Didn't watch it live but just watched it on the other window. I think it's an awful call live and an example of how VAR fails routinely in England. They've repeatedly taken the stance that if the foul is given on the pitch and there's any contact VAR is never going to overturn it.

Mudyrk botches his touch and then feels some contact and flops to the ground.
Assignon clips his trailing leg while pulling on his shoulder and then drives into the back of him. It's really hard to stay on your feet through that and the league punishes players who try and fight through fouls.

Reactions: gary69

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Assignon clips his trailing leg while pulling on his shoulder and then drives into the back of him. It's really hard to stay on your feet through that and the league punishes players who try and fight through fouls.
The only reason Assignon clipped his legs and went into his back is because Mudryk botched his touch and was trying to throw on the brakes and cut back to get the ball.

All that said, if VAR doesn't believe a pen is a clear and obvious error, they can't tell the ref to go review the card since it's a second yellow and out of VAR purview.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The only reason Assignon clipped his legs and went into his back is because Mudryk botched his touch and was trying to throw on the brakes and cut back to get the ball.

All that said, if VAR doesn't believe a pen is a clear and obvious error, they can't tell the ref to go review the card since it's a second yellow and out of VAR purview.
Players are allowed to pull up and adjust their run. Assignon already received a yellow in this game for an almost exact play outside the box, he should have approached this one differently.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Classic Chelsea immediately giving up the tying goal. Great shot by Cullen though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad