GWT: EPL - Matchweek 30

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Respect.

Hopefully chelsea fans can take note

Arsenal the only team that has done this. It’s great on them.

It’s shameful that the rest of the league won’t bother. Listen to the crowd at the Leeds game next week and you’ll hear the difference

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Behind in the games so I haven't really had the chance to comment or view this thread. I watched the majority of the Arsenal match, but had to stop 3/4 through and honestly it seemed that Arsenal put their foot off the petrol. Everyone I am seeing is deeming it a "negative," but dropping points at Anfield isn't the worst possible aspect in the world. Man City has dropped more points at worse locations and still got to play Arsenal, Chelsea, go to Brighton, and go to Brentford.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
VAR refs apologise to Brighton
Apparently they only apologized for the missed pen. The handball wasn't apologized for.

With the handball I guess the formal decision was that the referee (with help from the assistant) ruled it out on the field for a handball and the VAR check was to determine if calling it a handball was a clear and obvious error, which they determined it wasn't. It seems insane to not call it a clear and obvious error given the multitude of other upper arm decisions this year, but that's the explanation.

Reactions: JPBolts and luiginb

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Everyone has injuries. Liverpool has been significantly more injured than Arsenal this year. You love your xG metrics to talk about who deserved to win, so how about you post them chicken

What team do you like? I can never tell
Liverpool is my EPL team because they are (or were) mostly supported by the working class, being the home of the Beatles, they despise neoliberalism, they have class consciousness, they are a port city like where I live now, etc.

But my great-grandfather and grandfather's team was Rapid Wien but since I was born they've had very limited relevance not only in Europe but Austria. My actual local club, Charleston Battery, are pretty rich in history (relatively speaking for the US) despite being a small club for their entire history.

But actually I just mostly hate United and City.

Reactions: Savant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool is my EPL team because they are (or were) mostly supported by the working class, being the home of the Beatles, they despise neoliberalism, they have class consciousness, they are a port city like where I live now, etc.

But my great-grandfather and grandfather's team was Rapid Wien but since I was born they've had very limited relevance not only in Europe but Austria. My actual local club, Charleston Battery, are pretty rich in history (relatively speaking for the US) despite being a small club for their entire history.

But actually I just mostly hate United and City.
I’m in Raleigh. The USL/NWSL scene here was pretty interesting until Charlotte FC stole the MLS team. And the coach of the women’s team turned out to be an awful person. Sucked all the momentum out of the local scene. Love Charleston though.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
I caught it for a bit before it got copyrighted, but then I came back to watch it again and it was gone :laugh:

Yea it’s not a good look on either side. Robertson wasn’t aggressive per se, but it seemed like it was more than a friendly “hey man how you doing” touch on the elbow. That said, the ref also seemed to significantly overreact to it.

Bad from both.
its a terrible look for both parties. why Robertson feels the need to grab the ref i don't know but that could be considered suspension worthy? And the AR shrugging off the contact in a way that looks like he's swinging his elbow is a bad look.

I have a feeling that the PGMOL will punish the linesman but also issue guidance that *any* contact with officials in the future is an instant red card.

Have to imagine an incident like Mitrovic is in officials minds when a guy comes up, unhappy with you, and reaches out to grab your elbow, especially when it’s the same guy who was already warned that game about aggressively yelling at you.
I still don't know why this isn't a thing already but there would be a ton of reds if *any* contact with a ref is going to be a red. That being said, I think it would be appropriate

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
its a terrible look for both parties. why Robertson feels the need to grab the ref i don't know but that could be considered suspension worthy? And the AR shrugging off the contact in a way that looks like he's swinging his elbow is a bad look.

I still don't know why this isn't a thing already but there would be a ton of reds if *any* contact with a ref is going to be a red. That being said, I think it would be appropriate
Any intentional contact should probably be the standard, with some leeway for putting hands up to stop a collision on the touch line.

Reactions: JPBolts

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Any intentional contact should probably be the standard, with some leeway for putting hands up to stop a collision on the touch line.
Agreed, but I'm pretty sure I see players tap the on field ref on the shoulder when talking so is that going to be an automatic red as well? i don't know

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Given that Robertson was already spoken to by the ref earlier in the game for being verbally aggressive towards that side judge, a suspension wouldn’t be insane.

I think of the official doesn’t react that way and instead just reports to the head ref that Robertson grabbed him to complain about a call, Robertson gets a straight red. But when the elbow happens the side judge is probably more in the “crap shouldn’t have done that, let’s not make a big deal of this” mode.

Reactions: JPBolts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad