GWT: EPL - Matchweek 28 (ft. MW 17)

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Two Arsenal players sprint at the official to scream about a pen. Ref just shrugs and doesn’t card anyway.

Tell me more about how refs will start awarding blue cards for dissent.
I don't know why this blue card thing has gotten in people's heads so much as though it isn't something that is about to be trialed in like the fourth division in Wales.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Two Arsenal players sprint at the official to scream about a pen. Ref just shrugs and doesn’t card anyway.

Tell me more about how refs will start awarding blue cards for dissent.
one of them already on a yellow as well. same thing for the other "penalty" claim

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don't know why this blue card thing has gotten in people's heads so much as though it isn't something that is about to be trialed in like the fourth division in Wales.
Because you have real people who actually have influence at IFAB and FIFA who think it will work.

Refs have more than enough tools to deal with dissent right now and they refuse to use them. Discussion about giving them more tools are stupid.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
one of them already on a yellow as well. same thing for the other "penalty" claim
He's been consistent, at least, given that Collins wasn't booked for calling for a card. Of course, the yellow Gabriel was on was for a foul softer than penalties that weren't given.
Because you have real people who actually have influence at IFAB and FIFA who think it will work.

Refs have more than enough tools to deal with dissent right now and they refuse to use them. Discussion about giving them more tools are stupid.
Sure, although the argument could be that a different tool would be more effective. I just don't think it's worth getting upset about or making fun of until it gets out of the lowest levels. Honestly, at those levels, it actually might be useful.

Reactions: JPBolts

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Havertz, already on a yellow, takes a ball from off the pitch and places it on the pitch to delay a throw. Ref just shrugs.
Yea but playing with Havertz playing it's already having a man down because he does absolutely nothing anyways apparently

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It's premature to say we fixed Havertz, but maybe we fixed Havertz?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Sure, although the argument could be that a different tool would be more effective. I just don't think it's worth getting upset about or making fun of until it gets out of the lowest levels. Honestly, at those levels, it actually might be useful.
It probably wouldn’t be as much of a joke if year after year we hear about how referees are going to really crack down on dissent, time wasting, and diving and then having them repeatedly ignore it happening in game after game.

A blue card is more severe than a yellow card, there’s no rational argument that refs would suddenly start handing out more severe punishments for behavior they’re not punishing now.

Reactions: luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Cannot wait for all the outrage and media coverage on that officiating performance today. Worse and more impactful than Tierney last weekend when all we heard about was drop balls for days.

• Haha
Reactions: bluesfan94

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It probably wouldn’t be as much of a joke if year after year we hear about how referees are going to really crack down on dissent, time wasting, and diving and then having them repeatedly ignore it happening in game after game.

A blue card is more severe than a yellow card, there’s no rational argument that refs would suddenly start handing out more severe punishments for behavior they’re not punishing now.
That’s my point. More severe might actually work at a lower level. I don’t think it’s actually getting to the top flight.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Honest question, if Arsenal does not win anything this year, is it considered a deception or a step forward?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Honest question, if Arsenal does not win anything this year, is it considered a deception or a step forward?
I think it depends on how the end of the season goes. If they continue playing solid and fall a point or two shy, it’ll rightly be considered a step forward.

If they collapse at the end of the season again, they’ll be questions asked.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Neither. It’s a disappointment if they win nothing. They spent too much to come about with nothing. They are where they should be, them being strong isn’t a surprise. If anything it’s a surprise they aren’t higher, but they’ve had a lot of luck and they’ve played a lot of teams at the right time too. And again they are the media darlings. They will have the narrative that it’s another gutsy win, which fair play to get it done but Havertz dived worse than Diogo Jota against Newcastle and at a more important juncture, but we won’t hear a peep on that and there isn’t any pearl clutching either compared to what we’ve seen. Very strange to me the perception of the Arsenal team compared to the perception of Man City and LFC

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad