GWT: EPL - Matchweek 22

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
They hired him to win the CL and have spent a fortune towards that goal. At some point the owners are going to want a return on their investments.
Sure, but they have a lot better chance to win it with him than anyone else. They were in the final and semi-finals the past 2 years. When you get to that point, anything can happen and you need some luck.

But again, I'm all for it. Fire that bald fraud.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Savant is right, the Premier League is in a down year, nobody is playing consistently good football, except Arsenal.

Reactions: Savant

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Spurs doing God’s work for Arsenal today, you just love to see that Lol.

I am still fuming at the players yesterday even if Everton got the new manager boost.

Savant is right, the Premier League is in a down year, nobody is playing consistently good football, except Arsenal.
Nah, the parity increased and the bottom half teams are all very strong this year due to influx of telly money. I make the argument that every bottom table club in the EPL is better than in any other league (BuLi a strong second).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They hired him to win the CL and have spent a fortune towards that goal. At some point the owners are going to want a return on their investments.
He just made them the best team in the league… he’s returned their investment and then some

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Nah, the parity increased and the bottom half teams are all very strong this year due to influx of telly money. I make the argument that every bottom table club in the EPL is better than in any other league (BuLi a strong second).
No, that just means the better teams are playing down a level. The lesser teams haven’t leveled up, and if the6 have it certainly hasn’t made the league stronger. its a weak league compared to the last five years for sure. also there is no one pushing Arsenal at the top. It’s a down (at best average) league, but that’s fine, you can only play who is on the schedule.

Only the Arsenal fans think the League is comparatively strong this year.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
No, that just means the better teams are playing down a level. The lesser teams haven’t leveled up, and if the6 have it certainly hasn’t made the league stronger. its a weak league compared to the last five years for sure. also there is no one pushing Arsenal at the top. It’s a down (at best average) league, but that’s fine, you can only play who is on the schedule.
Sure, it has nothing to do with teams like Newcastle and Brighton recruiting very well and having strong seasons. Or the rest of the league having more money than ever to strengthen their squads. Let's just focus on Chelsea and Liverpool sucking.

Only the Arsenal fans think the League is comparatively strong this year.
"Comparatively" depends what you are comparing to. Is it stronger than the two outlier PL seasons you always bring up? No. Is it stronger than the average PL season? Well, it's trended that way and we'll see.

Some Man United and Liverpool fans have agreed as well (or at least disagreed with your stance).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Sure, it has nothing to do with teams like Newcastle and Brighton recruiting very well and having strong seasons. Or the rest of the league having more money than ever to strengthen their squads. Let's just focus on Chelsea and Liverpool sucking.

"Comparatively" depends what you are comparing to. Is it stronger than the two outlier PL seasons you always bring up? No. Is it stronger than the average PL season? Well, it's trended that way and we'll see.

Some Man United and Liverpool fans have agreed as well (or at least disagreed with your stance).
No one cares about Newcastle and Brighton. The league isn’t stronger because more teams are competing for 3rd/4th/5th; there are just less teams competing for 1st therefore it is weaker. Chelsea And Liverpool suck. City and Tottenham are worse too. There levels have dropped to the Newcastle/Brighton level. Newcastle and Brighton aren’t UP to the title contending level. That’s the difference, you just refuse to see it because you are insecure.

you talk about outlier seasons; yes those are strong seasons. You can pretend those are anomalies because it doesn’t for your Arsenal narrative. If you want to say this is an average year? Maybe? I still don’t think it’s a good year. I don’t think there is a good argument it’s a good year, and I havent been convinced by anything I’ve seen. I’ve seen “it was weak when LFC won too” and which I don’t have a problem with, so it’s not exactly a gotcha. the points to say this is a good league are not ones that I agree with.

people aren’t going to remember this as Arsenal winning a competitive league. People will remember the World Cup break and people will remember Thomas Partey should have been in jail. That’s the stories of the season.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
No one cares about Newcastle and Brighton. The league isn’t stronger because more teams are competing for 3rd/4th/5th; there are just less teams competing for 1st therefore it is weaker. Chelsea And Liverpool suck. City and Tottenham are worse too. There levels have dropped to the Newcastle/Brighton level. Newcastle and Brighton aren’t UP to the title contending level. That’s the difference, you just refuse to see it because you are insecure.

you talk about outlier seasons; yes those are strong seasons. You can pretend those are anomalies because it doesn’t for your Arsenal narrative. If you want to say this is an average year? Maybe? I still don’t think it’s a good year. I don’t think there is a good argument it’s a good year, and I havent been convinced by anything I’ve seen. I’ve seen “it was weak when LFC won too” and which I don’t have a problem with, so it’s not exactly a gotcha. the points to say this is a good league are not ones that I agree with.

people aren’t going to remember this as Arsenal winning a competitive league. People will remember the World Cup break and people will remember Thomas Partey should have been in jail. That’s the stories of the season.
Boom, truth

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
If most of the teams that you have to play are better (i.e., the league altogether, not just top teams), then it would be more difficult to achieve a high point total. True or false?

"Outlier seasons" is actually just your narrative that the league has to have two 90 point teams to be strong. Which has happened 2 times. Maybe 3? I honestly forget at this point in this circular argument.

You can choose not to agree with the information presented to you. Doesn't make you right.

Lol. Let's let the criminal justice system handle that. Not someone that can't comprehend basic information. If it turns out that Partey did that, I'll be first in line to say he should be in jail for a long time.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Arsenal and City still have an advantage, but Man Utd and Newcastle are really both in good enough form to make a push for the title in case of any more slip ups.

Spurs are in better form over their last 5 than Newcastle, Spurs have 9 pts and Newcastle 7. (ManU just have 10, just a tick better than Spurs).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The league isn’t stronger because more teams are competing for 3rd/4th/5th; there are just less teams competing for 1st therefore it is weaker.
If we use this logic, then BuLi has been garbage the past decade, La Liga has been garbage for the past two decades, Ligue 1 has been garbage since Qatar purchased PSG, Serie A has been garbage until Juventus decided to self-implode, and the best league in the world is EPL because they've had more winners in the same amount of time frame?

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
This is a much stronger season on average than the majority of PL history. Two of the last 5 years have been an insane outlier with both Liverpool and City being so dominant.

There's been a grand total of 2 seasons in PL history in which the winner was >90 points and the 2nd place team was within 7 points of them. 18/19 and 21/22. Apart from those there were only 3 seasons in which the winner was >90 points and 2nd place was within 10 and those were a 7 point, 8 point, and 8 point gap.

When a team scores at the rate Arsenal has this year, then usually win the league by at least 7 points, usually by double digits. Arsenal right now pacing to win by 13 points after this weekend, which is about expected given PL history.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I'm not sure why this argument keeps getting rehashed. Savant never will change his opinion.

Seems people nowadays are incapable of doing such a thing.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Hey points total gang, are you watching the games? Who's playing consistently good football?
Just as many teams as do in a normal season.

In 18/19 and 21/22 who was playing consistently good aside from Liverpool and City?

There've been two freak seasons where two teams played as well as Arsenal are this year. Every other year you either have the leaders not playing quite as well or you have a clear winner who runs away with the league.

United are playing pretty well apart from the atrocious couple games to start, Newcastle similarly started a bit slow but are playing well now, Arsenal are obviously.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Hey points total gang, are you watching the games? Who's playing consistently good football?

Sorry man I like watching players like Paqueta play on absolutely dreadful teams because that's what makes a good football league. The top three teams are strong but the rest are shit. Newcastle does have the defense of a strong team but they aren't scoring enough.

Anyway, no big deal I don't care. The answer to whether or not this is a strong league will be found out in Europe during the next few months, and those results are really the only thing that matters when it comes to determining this. I will repeat again though in case someone wishes to take my post into greater discussion that I don't care.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Why watch the games when you can find stats to compare irrelevant things together to fit a narrative?

People on here saying City are better than last year because Haaland is scoring goals.

This is a much stronger season on average than the majority of PL history. Two of the last 5 years have been an insane outlier with both Liverpool and City being so dominant.

There's been a grand total of 2 seasons in PL history in which the winner was >90 points and the 2nd place team was within 7 points of them. 18/19 and 21/22. Apart from those there were only 3 seasons in which the winner was >90 points and 2nd place was within 10 and those were a 7 point, 8 point, and 8 point gap.

When a team scores at the rate Arsenal has this year, then usually win the league by at least 7 points, usually by double digits. Arsenal right now pacing to win by 13 points after this weekend, which is about expected given PL history.
Right. So the outlier seasons are strong leagues and right now it’s an average league at best. It makes no sense to call a strong league an outlier

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Their unlimited checkbook made them the best team in the league.

Pep is a great manager, but let's not underestimate their huuuuuuge money advantage.
2 things to look at city’s performances in the league before him. And other teams just spending money without anything.

City were a good team that looked like a threat to win their league. Pep turned them into legit bullies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad