GWT: EPL - Matchweek 2

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don't recall much in the first half.

Most controversial moments were:

- If Partey fouled the Palace attacker before the pen (I think yes, but not sure it's enough for VAR to overturn)
- If Partey fouled the Palance player in the box (Yes, and VAR should have overturned it)
- Tomi getting a second yellow for a foul that was, at absolutely best, insanely soft, and likely wasn't a foul in the first place.
Partey did get the ball. Not that that's dispositive, but I can see why it wasn't clear and obvious.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
- If Partey fouled the Palace attacker before the pen (I think yes, but not sure it's enough for VAR to overturn)
It doesn't have to be a foul even. He was in an offside position, influencing play by impeding runners. That has been called offside in other situations.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It doesn't have to be a foul even. He was in an offside position, influencing play by impeding runners. That has been called offside in other situations.
When has it ever been called offside if a player is standing still in an offside position? I also don't think he was offside when the ball was played.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hell ya! Beat all the FA corruption, what a team win and three points!

I don't really see how the Partey challenge was a penalty, I very much dislike a "little contact" has to be a penalty even if it was against us on the opponent box. And no the Johnstone pen was absolutely one due to the amount of contact he dished on Nketiah.

That second yellow against Tomiyasu was a pathetic call. Yes, he touches him, but this is a contact sport. Not contact in terms of hockey or rugby, but you can still wrestle a bit against each other and that is exactly what happens to Tomi. He puts a hand on him, but it doesn't cause the Palace player to fall or twist like an F5 tornado as he did. Just awful and this FA-corrupted ref could've cost us two value points. Simply glad we got out of this stadium with a win, this tends to be one of the arenas in which Arsenal struggles with.

Well this experiment can’t continue or there will be dropped points very soon. Get back to what was working last season.
Personally, I thought Partey at RB was one of the best players on the pitch. Could've been our MOTM IMO (him, Rice, or Saliba).

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
When has it ever been called offside if a player is standing still in an offside position? I also don't think he was offside when the ball was played.
He wasn't remotely standing still. He actively blocked off the Palace player. Regarding offside, I'm not sure as I didn't see the lines drawn.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I don't recall much in the first half.

Most controversial moments were:

- If Partey fouled the Palance player in the box (Yes, and VAR should have overturned it)
- Tomi getting a second yellow for a foul that was, at absolutely best, insanely soft, and likely wasn't a foul in the first place.
I watched the first half - nothing controversial, but Arsenal could have been comfortably ahead with some better finishing from Nketiah. Just got pulled away for most of the second half unfortunately.

Seeing some replays, my initial thoughts would be:

- Looks like Palace player went down pretty easily trying to fight through Partey's pick on the set piece play. I don't think he fouled him just based on contact, but I don't know if a pick play like that is legal.

- I'd lean toward saying Partey fouled Eze and should have been a penalty.

- Tomi second yellow was a joke call. Also saw on twitter that his first yellow was given for holding a throw-in for 8 seconds, so sounds like he got double screwed.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He wasn't remotely standing still. He actively blocked off the Palace player. Regarding offside, I'm not sure as I didn't see the lines drawn.
Partey is the slowest player for us easily when Jorginho isn't on the pitch. He did waltz over, but when he supposedly "blocked" the CP player, he was standing still. Honestly it was a pincer movement where Eze was running out of room so he did what he only could have and it was going down.

• Haha
Reactions: bluesfan94

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Okay, when do you ever see someone called offside when they are starting a free kick in an offside position and move maybe half a step?

This is all ignoring the fact that he looked onside, but assuming arguendo.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Seriously. Just this game:

1. Interfered from an offside position during the free kick leading to Arsenal's penalty. Goals have been called back from that before.
2. Gets away with an awful foul in the box.
3. Doesn’t get carded himself for gesturing.
Not even talking about off the field

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I watched the first half - nothing controversial, but Arsenal could have been comfortably ahead with some better finishing from Nketiah. Just got pulled away for most of the second half unfortunately.

Seeing some replays, my initial thoughts would be:

- Looks like Palace player went down pretty easily trying to fight through Partey's pick on the set piece play. I don't think he fouled him just based on contact, but I don't know if a pick play like that is legal.

- I'd lean toward saying Partey fouled Eze and should have been a penalty.

- Tomi second yellow was a joke call. Also saw on twitter that his first yellow was given for holding a throw-in for 8 seconds, so sounds like he got double screwed.
His first yellow was just the fact that he was the last guy in a line of several to waste time.

Arsenal scored at 53' A minute or two after that the Ref told Partey to knock it off with time wasting on a goal kick. Then Ramsdale wasted a bit more time handing the ball to Saliba. A few minutes after that the ball went out for a throw in. I think Martinelli line up for it first, held it for a few seconds, then Havertz walked over. Havertz wasted like 20 seconds on it before Tomi walked over and then wasted another 8 seconds.

So Tomi was a little bit screwed in the sense that he wasn't the worst offender, but when your team immediately goes into 100% waste time mode, someone is gonna end up getting hit by it.

Reactions: KJS14

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Hopefully some good comes of the weak Tomiyasu red card and Arteta is forced back into using Zinchenko - Gabriel - Saliba - White.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Havertz is one of the most obvious dumb waste of money signings of the last few years. Guy is so far in his own head he can’t play football.
And yet in 2 weeks he has 2 wins with Arsenal. Same amount of wins that Chelsea has this calendar year.

Reactions: S E P H

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Lol cause that’s all that matters? We won a cup with Andy Carroll and he put us in another final guess he was good too
More of an observation for how bad Chelsea is, but Havertz didn't even play poorly today and yet he's an "obvious dumb waste of money." In fact, he did really well to help close out the game when we went down to 10 men. There's a pre-conceived opinion on him, so he puts up two average performances and is getting ragged on.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It was 100% a deserved yellow. It should have been shown to Havertz as he went to hand it to Tomi though.
If 24 seconds is the standard, then sure. If the standard is no one can touch the ball after it goes out of play other than the person who takes the throw in, then sure.

However, I'm certain neither of those are actually the standard, nor were they the standard used throughout the game.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If 24 seconds is the standard, then sure. If the standard is no one can touch the ball after it goes out of play other than the person who takes the throw in, then sure.

However, I'm certain neither of those are actually the standard, nor were they the standard used throughout the game.
The standard is that when a team is clearly wasting time they should get carded for it. Arsenal was clearly wasting time and got carded for it. It's really not complicated.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
More of an observation for how bad Chelsea is, but Havertz didn't even play poorly today and yet he's an "obvious dumb waste of money." In fact, he did really well to help close out the game when we went down to 10 men. There's a pre-conceived opinion on him, so he puts up two average performances and is getting ragged on.
I wouldn't waste my time on him. He's shat on every Arsenal signing and yet they're in a much better position than his team.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The standard is that when a team is clearly wasting time they should get carded for it. Arsenal was clearly wasting time and got carded for it. It's really not complicated.
This rule is going to be an absolute shitshow, then. That there’s no sense of objectivity is going to lead to situations just like this where objectively worse actions go unpunished. That this one resulted in a red card after an even worse decision just compound matters.

Reactions: KJS14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad