EPL Matchday 27

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Going through the transfer thread I read someone misreading and saying Mane cost 50 million. To be totally honest, I would pay that for him today. He's not the best winger in the world but he is a unique player. Has great close control, legs go everywhere so opponents can't predict where he's running, is super fast, presses hard, good finisher.

Definitely can't afford to lose this player, but if we don't finish top four I'm sure someone is coming in with a mega bid. I did however see that Mane and Naby Keita have the same agent. So there's that. Maybe he'd want them to play together.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Well, it was a nice game to watch. Thought a bit nervy toward the middle/end of the game Liverpool put out a strong performance as they always do against teams that don't sit back in blocks and look to hit on the counter. Unfortunately, and oddly enough, the real test will be against Burnley who will almost surely try to do just that.

Still, it was nice to see a strong performance from Firmino in this game and Origi looked bright in his brief time on the field. Love Wijnaldum's passion and the energy to make that run through the middle even in the 91st minute after doing quite a bit all game. Can scared the **** out of me constantly...Henderson can't return fast enough.

Now it's up to Klopp to show some kind of pragmatism against the mid and lower table sides.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Holy Mother of God how the **** did Can not get a red card there? I am not one to whine about reffing, but awarding Burnley a penalty from a handball by their own player and a potential leg breaking tackle gets nothing is utter lunacy at this point.

I really hope Arsenal miss out on the CL spots.
I hope so too! Would give our malignant cancer of a manager a reason to step down and get rid of all the fake players on the squad. I'm not all for Arsenal losing, but like losing your hair during chemotherapy...losing our hair in the short term is a fine consequence when its main purpose is to purge the cancer (Wenger) from the body for long term success.

World's mightiest club
Soon, we're on break right now from all the seasons we dominated in the early 2000's.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Sanchez's contract is up in a year too so I would think Arsenal wouldn't get a lot for him. Too bad they wouldn't force him to honor his contract. Better her goes either way and Arsenal can look to replace him. Sanchez, like Ozil, is a fine player, but they're not the sorts to a lead a team anywhere.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Sanchez, like Ozil, is a fine player, but they're not the sorts to a lead a team anywhere.

IMO you're selling him a bit short. While he hasn't won anything with Arsenal, Sanchez was an integral part of two Copa America titles with Chile and was the tourney's best player at Copa America Centenario last year. Of course you could argue that International success is different, to which I'd say

2s695at.jpg

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
IMO you're selling him a bit short. While he hasn't won anything with Arsenal, Sanchez was an integral part of two Copa America titles with Chile and was the tourney's best player at Copa America Centenario last year. Of course you could argue that International success is different, to which I'd say

I wouldn't say Sanchez led his team to that title though.

Which wouldn't be saying anything considering what Messi has done on the international stage. Just because Chile won doesn't mean Sanchez is a better player o the international stage. He clearly isn't.

Sanchez is a good player, but in general he's a supporting cast guy. It may not seem that way at Arsenal, but then he's not taking them anywhere.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I wouldn't say Sanchez led his team to that title though.

Which wouldn't be saying anything considering what Messi has done on the international stage. Just because Chile won doesn't mean Sanchez is a better player o the international stage. He clearly isn't.

Sanchez is a good player, but in general he's a supporting cast guy. It may not seem that way at Arsenal, but then he's not taking them anywhere.

I figured you'd have some sort of comeback given my visual provocation, even though I never claimed Sanchez was better or even equal to Messi in my original post.

1) Of course Messi is better than Sanchez, for both Club and Country

2) Sanchez didn't lead Chile to victory single-handedly but he definitely played a key role as both one of the leaders of the team and their biggest offensive difference-maker.

3) Though he's not really an ideal captain Sanchez in general is MORE THAN a supporting cast guy, and definitely a better leader than Ozil

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I figured you'd have some sort of comeback given my visual provocation, even though I never claimed Sanchez was better or even equal to Messi in my original post.

1) Of course Messi is better than Sanchez, for both Club and Country

2) Sanchez didn't lead Chile to victory single-handedly but he definitely played a key role as both one of the leaders of the team and their biggest offensive difference-maker.

3) Though he's not really an ideal captain Sanchez in general is MORE THAN a supporting cast guy, and definitely a better leader than Ozil

Oh, so you were just trolling. I suppose I should have expected it considering you'd actually go down this road in the first place.

2) Exactly, Chile was much more a team effort and Sanchez didn't lead the team. Simple as that.

3) Well yeah, he's MORE THAN a supporting cast guy in squad like Chile's or Arsenal's. Still if you move him to a top tier team capable of winning something significant, bar maybe one or two teams, he's a supporting cast guy. Being a better leader than Ozil is completely irrelevant.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Sanchez is a good player, but in general he's a supporting cast guy.

3) Well yeah, he's MORE THAN a supporting cast guy in squad like Chile's or Arsenal's. Still if you move him to a top tier team capable of winning something significant, bar maybe one or two teams, he's a supporting cast guy.

You hit the nail in the head. He would be a supporting guy on a team like Barca, or Real, or Bayern, i.e. teams filled with the best players in the world. However despite your profound arrogence (not surprising given your chosen team has been the best team in the world over the last decade and your chosen team's best player is the best player in the planet) in general most teams, including most very good teams like Arsenal, aren't Barca/Real/Bayern. Again just pointing out the hypocrisy in your words.

Sanchez, like Ozil, is a fine player, but they're not the sorts to a lead a team anywhere.

Being a better leader than Ozil is completely irrelevant.

Actually it IS relevent in this case because you grouped them together in you previous comment, implying they're similar in terms of leadership when they are not

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
You hit the nail in the head. He would be a supporting guy on a team like Barca, or Real, or Bayern, i.e. teams filled with the best players in the world. However despite your profound arrogence (not surprising given your chosen team has been the best team in the world over the last decade and your chosen team's best player is the best player in the planet) in general most teams, including most very good teams like Arsenal, aren't Barca/Real/Bayern. Again just pointing out the hypocrisy in your words.

:laugh: There's no arrogance or hypocrisy whatsoever. I said that he wasn't the sort to a lead a team anywhere, with anywhere meaning to a title and a meaningful title at that, and he's not. You decided to quote that part of my post specifically and challenge that by saying that I'm selling him short, yet he still has yet to lead a team anywhere. It's amazing that you actually quoted my original post again, which you quoted selectively I might add, and then followed up with this.

Actually it IS relevent in this case because you grouped them together in you previous comment, implying they're similar in terms of leadership when they are not

Wrong. It's completely irrelevant because not only did I not say that one was a better leader than the other, but also because neither has led a team anywhere which was my original point and I posted as such. Again, amazing you posted my original post when it just disproved what you posted.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Going through the transfer thread I read someone misreading and saying Mane cost 50 million. To be totally honest, I would pay that for him today. He's not the best winger in the world but he is a unique player. Has great close control, legs go everywhere so opponents can't predict where he's running, is super fast, presses hard, good finisher.

Definitely can't afford to lose this player, but if we don't finish top four I'm sure someone is coming in with a mega bid. I did however see that Mane and Naby Keita have the same agent. So there's that. Maybe he'd want them to play together.

...Many has played for a RedBull team before...

Forsberg - Werner - Mane with Sabitzer, Burke & Poulsen to rotate in; would have RBL's attack pretty ridiculous stacked for next season's CL campaign. :sarcasm:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Would have to disagree on Sanchez. Clearly he isn't a Messi or Ronaldo, but I don't there is much separating him from a guy like Griezmann. Or most of the attacking players Juventus had for the 2015 CL final.

I could easily see him being the best or among the 2-3 best players in a team winning for example the CL. He just have to find that right team (like Griezmann did).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So second start for Sakho, second clean sheet and elected MOTM by the Palace fans.
Yet the only comment about him in the thread was to ridicule him. :laugh:

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
So second start for Sakho, second clean sheet and elected MOTM by the Palace fans.
Yet the only comment about him in the thread was to ridicule him. :laugh:

How many posts were you expecting on the Crystal Palace/West Brom match? :)

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
The best play by a Liverpool player on Saturday was Matip taking the blame for that foul and preventing Can from getting sent off

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
That Mings stamp was hard to watch. You can understand why Ibra retaliated but an elbow is an elbow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad