News and Blog Report: EP: At what point does belief become delusion for the Edmonton Oilers?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I do wonder sometimes if the fans of the team would actually run this organization better than the supposed experts that are employed by the team.

True sometimes hey! Chiarellis case doing nothing at all was light years better than what he did.

That said Fans can’t agree on which way is left or right. It would be a bloodbath in the boardroom over hiring a coach lol.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
True sometimes hey! Chiarellis case doing nothing at all was light years better than what he did.

That said Fans can’t agree on which way is left or right. It would be a bloodbath in the boardroom over hiring a coach lol.
Probably, but I'd like to think we'd have a better drafting regime than what we've had for the past... oh... 20 years.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Oiler fans delusion is the same order of magnitude as every other team in the nhl.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hey,I’m a guy that scours the internet for articles critical of the Oilers. Cause I’m mad. Can everyone who finds a critical article please post them.
Cause I’m angry. .
Hey I am a guy who bends over hard to defend this team.Anytime someone posts negative about the Oilers I get mad. Why can't people just be constantly positive about the Oilers. I am angry.

Reactions: Kerberos

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You have correctly identified the delusion.
HF Oilers could have absolutely ran the team better than Chiarelli.

There was that article a few years ago where a guy figured out that if you just drafted the next guy up with the highest point totals in their draft year, you would succeed at drafting at a higher rate than any NHL team.

The fans would struggle with the day to day and making of trades and stuff but NHL GMs love making moves that everyone knows are terrible the moment they make them.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You have correctly identified the delusion.
Considering how almost everything the Oilers have done over the past 15 years has been incorrect I don't think it's a huge leap to say that the fans could probably do a somewhat better job.

Didn't this fanbase once scream at their team on the draft floor in 1995 to draft Shane Doan and the smartest guys in the room drafted Steve Kelly instead?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Considering how almost everything the Oilers have done over the past 15 years has been incorrect I don't think it's a huge leap to say that the fans could probably do a somewhat better job.

Didn't this fanbase once scream at their team on the draft floor in 1995 to draft Shane Doan and the smartest guys in the room drafted Steve Kelly instead?
My crystal ball must be foggy. Last time I checked that wasn’t it’s indication at all. As far as I’m concerned this is an entertainment. The oilers have an entertaining team. I don’t bleed angst over it beyond that.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

The team would also be firing players after every shift. The team would cease to exist after the first game.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

i think its a huge leap and i cant remember off the top of my head but things like this were posted ad nasuem

Trading eberle for kyle clifford
dumping puljuarvi or 4th round picks

Reactions: TB12

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
i think its a huge leap and i cant remember off the top of my head but things like this were posted ad nasuem

Trading eberle for kyle clifford
dumping puljuarvi or 4th round picks
Well we turned Eberle into nothing so Clifford would've been better.

Almost every move this franchise has made in the past decade has been wrong, with some blowing up in their faces in hilarious fashion.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I do wonder sometimes if the fans of the team would actually run this organization better than the supposed experts that are employed by the team.
I’m 1000% sure if every Oilers trade/draft pick had to go through a 24 hour poll on this sub the team would no doubt have been better off the last decade. The Reinhart and Hall trades would have been refuted.

The only instances I can think of the last few years that the board would have hurt the team would be Puljujarvi would have been traded for a bag of pucks, “cause he’s a locker room cancer who doesn’t want to be here”, and no chance Smith is brought back last year, and he had a Vezina calibre season.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
The fans would struggle with the day to day and making of trades and stuff but NHL GMs love making moves that everyone knows are terrible the moment they make them.

NHL is a big old boys club and the whole sport is filled with people with no formal education or work experience other than playing sports ball in a coddled environment.

There's an advantage to be taken by meeting the standards that any comparably large company outside sports bubble does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad