Friedman: Enstrom has agreed to waive NMC for expanson draft

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't think they need to. Dano is better value for Vegas.

I think so too. Why go through all the hassle of trying to get a pick for Enstrom, when you have a decent young player right in front of you. Dano is one of those guys that can break out given a good opportunity.

And that's all you're getting for 1 yr of injury-prone, 33 yr old (in November) Enstrom.

Even if McPhee thinks he could get something marginally better for Enstrom, do you really want to be an ******* and have Enstrom pack his bags. I know a lot of people won't understand this, but there's a human element to business as well. It's one thing not to do solids to other GM's just to be a good guy, but Dano vs something like a 2nd pick is just not worth it.

I was thinking the same thing. He could be valuable to trade at the trade deadline and Vegas can just retain most of the salary if needed. I'm sure whatever they can get in return for Enstrom at the trade deadline would be more valuable to Vegas than whoever else they would pick from Winnipeg.

There's a couple of things what makes it easier said than done. First of all what would Enstrom's morale look like if he played for a team that loses most of it's games? That affects your performance, and in return value.

He also retains his NMC.

Just pick Dano. No reason to risk it. Just because McPhee can pick one player from every team, doesn't mean he's just going to have these young forwards lying around.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I was thinking the same thing. He could be valuable to trade at the trade deadline and Vegas can just retain most of the salary if needed. I'm sure whatever they can get in return for Enstrom at the trade deadline would be more valuable to Vegas than whoever else they would pick from Winnipeg.

His NMC would still be active, so there'd be a risk of not getting anything in return.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Dano was signed to a 1-yr deal earlier this week to make him eligible to meet the exposure requirement.

Jets will protect 7-3-1...

Forwards...

Protect: Scheifele, Wheeler, Little, Perreault, Lowry, Armia, Copp

Expose: Dano, Matthias

Defense....

Protect: Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers

Expose: Enstrom, Stuart

Goalies... Protect Hellebuyck and expose Hutchinson.

The only real question remaining is whether the Jets need to add something to encourage LV to take Dano instead of Enstrom. Since Enstrom wants to stay in Winnipeg and can retain his full NMC if Vegas selects him, my guess is that Vegas will just take Dano. I'm pretty sure this has all been discussed between the two teams, which is why the Jets signed Dano this week.

It hurts to lose Dano, but the Jets have a ton of depth at forward and Dano would be vying for ice time with Connor, Armia, Petan and Roslovic, in any case.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I feel bad Enstrom has wasted his entire career in Atl/Winn. I hope he gets a chance with another team.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If Winnipeg already had a deal who Vegas was going to pick then why would Enstrom need to waive in the first place?

Lowry and Armia are in a different league compared to Dano. If Enstrom does not waive, Vegas would be choosing between those two instead of Dano and Enstrom.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I feel bad Enstrom has wasted his entire career in Atl/Winn. I hope he gets a chance with another team.

Jets are gonna be good. They've been building a formidable young pool of talent. Players like Buff and Wheeler have publicly supported the draft and develop strategy, and are enthusiastic about the near future.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
If Winnipeg already had a deal who Vegas was going to pick then why would Enstrom need to waive in the first place?

Chevy: "Hey GMGM, Chevy here. How's expansion draft looking?"

McPhee: "Pretty good, we're excited about some players we're going to end up getting! Looks like we're gonna be getting a good player from you guys - Lowry or Perreault right, cause you have to do 4-4-1?"

C: "Yeah, about that... we're gonna do 7-3-1 and protect those guys. Sorry."

M: "Oh, okay... then we'll just select Myers then, he has some injury problems but is still pretty young and could be a part of the team for a while..."

C: "Actually, it isn't Myers being exposed. It's Enstrom, we're getting him to waive his NMC."

M: "What?!?"

C: "Yeah, he had a pretty rough time last year, and he only has one year left, and after some discussions we think he'll probably do it."

M: "Ugh, seriously? Damnit Chevy, what do you have planned?"

C: "Well, y'know, uhh, Dano is a pretty good player, has some nice underlying stats, but myself and Maurice don't really have a vision in him for the future..."

M: "We still could pick Enstrom, and trade him at the deadline for more picks if he doesn't want to stay here in beautiful Las Vegas!"

C: "Yeah, did you hear? Some rumours going around now that he might want to retire from the NHL go back to Sweden next season, health scare with his family and possibly declining play and all... you might not get a good return for him... but tell you what, you pick Dano, and you have your choice of another prospect or pick, both of which are certainly better than what you get for Enstrom at a deadline, how about that?"

M: "Sure Chevy, that sounds feasible. We'll probably consider that and get back to you soon..."

Or something along those lines.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Maybe Vegas was unwilling to make a deal until forced. Chevy now has flexibility to deal now that Enstrom has waived and narrowed Vegas' options.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Lowry and Armia are in a different league compared to Dano. If Enstrom does not waive, Vegas would be choosing between those two instead of Dano and Enstrom.

Yes, which would imply Winnipeg and Vegas don't have a deal in place who Vegas will select.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Jets are gonna be good. They've been building a formidable young pool of talent. Players like Buff and Wheeler have publicly supported the draft and develop strategy, and are enthusiastic about the near future.

How long have we have been hearing the Jets are on the cusp of competing????

This will be their 7th season in Winnipeg. Jets fans have been beyond patient with Chevy.

#FreeEnstrom

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
How long have we have been hearing the Jets are on the cusp of competing????

This will be their 7th season in Winnipeg. Jets fans have been beyond patient with Chevy.

#FreeEnstrom

the fact is toby was just quoted as saying he doesn't want to leave and wants to stay. seems like enstrom doesn't want to be freed.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
not copp he cant be exposed isn't signed. its dano or mathias more then likely.

Not quite. Technically he can be exposed - as long as both Matthias and Dano are also. But who would the Jets then protect? Thorburn? Kosmo? Wouldn't make sense but could be done. It is not that an unsigned player can't be exposed. It is that there must be 2 F's signed who meet 40/70 criteria.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why would they draft Enstrom. 1 year and his NMC is still in effect if picked by Vegas. So not so simple to just flip for a draft pick.

He has a NMC not a NTC. NMC prevents certain kinds of transfers other than trade so trade would be possible.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Toby does his team a solid, thanks Toby good team guy.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
If you think VGK risks taking Toby with his attached NMC well, all the power to ya...

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
Phaneuf has a NMC and is about to be traded. Which confuses me.

Enstrom would not have waived his NMC if there wasn't one of those Bill daly Do Not Say Anything Trades or agreements with VGK in place.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Given Enstrom has stated he wants to stay in Winnipeg and hopes he doesn't get picked, if LV does pick him, not likely Enstrom would waive his NMC to help LV get value for him this year.

I would think LV would take Dano. It's possible that he Jets already agreed to a sweetener with LV to ensure they wouldn't take Enstrom, which gave Enstrom the comfort to waive in the first place.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Phaneuf has a NMC and is about to be traded. Which confuses me.

Enstrom would not have waived his NMC if there wasn't one of those Bill daly Do Not Say Anything Trades or agreements with VGK in place.

I think that notation ( NMC M-NTC) means that Phaneuf cannot be waived but could be traded to a few teams.

If it is just designated as NMC, then I believe that he cannot be moved or traded to any team.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Works out perfectly. No point for Vegas to pick Enström really, and now Lowry, Armia and Copp can be protected. Toby will still stay and we keep our young gritty forwards. Awesome!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad