May 3, 2021
Chinatown

kohc3s8yz5fi74z6ojk1od6ah.jpg

F-Yeah!!! Owen Hart and his whole family are Flames fans:yo:

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown
At the end of the day, it's basically about the NHL's philosophy, not about the referees, the number of referees, whatever. The NHL wants game management and a dynamically adaptable interpretation of the rulebook. Until that changes, it's almost impossible to evaluate the refs themselves, because right now they are just doing what they are told to. :(

Yeah, that's why I think we need pressure from the NHLPA and fans and others to get change - there must have been pressure to add the 2nd ref back then and nothing changed, so more pressure has to be put on the NHL again.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It doesn't matter how many officials you put on the ice if none of them are willing to make a call.
They'd rather miss a call than make a bad call and affect the outcome of a game

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown
It doesn't matter how many officials you put on the ice if none of them are willing to make a call.

That is why I suggesting that the 3rd ref not be one from the current referees union or NHL etc - the change has to be adding someone from NHLPA or somewhere that will be accountable to media, as in they will be forced to be media available to answer questions about their calls or non calls or why they did not interfere in game etc.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
1. If you already have the most qualified refs, adding more is only adding inferior refs.

2. If you do not have the most qualified refs, fix that instead.

No, either way.

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown

That is why I suggesting that the 3rd ref not be one from the current referees union or NHL etc - the change has to be adding someone from NHLPA or somewhere that will be accountable to media, as in they will be forced to be media available to answer questions about their calls or non calls or why they did not interfere in game etc.

1. If you already have the most qualified refs, adding more is only adding inferior refs.

No, either way.

The problem isn't refs making mistakes, the problem is refs colluding to be deliberately inconsistent - remember the ref fired for saying while being recorded that he wanted to give a penalty to make up for something earlier?

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nh...ic-wanting-to-call-penalty-on-preds-1.5961611

This is abuse of power that the NHL and referee union want to cover up and protect, so when I say 3rd ref I don't mean someone who is one of their cronies or someone to take up more ice on the rink - I mean someone who will not be a part of their boys club, someone from the players association or wherever whose interest will be to stop blatant inconsistent officiating that damages the integrity of the NHL.

I think the key is creating a new position that is only able to interfere with other 2 refs when something is happening that is egregiously damaging to the integrity of the NHL - and what happened in game 3&4 was not simply damaging the integrity of the NHL, it was egregiously damaging to the integrity of the NHL.

Not just the Perry non call, the decision by those two refs to not make any calls for much of the entirety of those 2 games - they were the same refs both games.

Obviously, the defining what is egregious will be up for debate, but at least when the media can ask the 3 ref why'd he interfere or not interfere, we will at least hear their reasonings - plus they obviously won't interfere with every roughing call etc, ideally we only see them interfere when things like these 2 games happen.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

No, either way.
Either way, it's still just the wrong question. The refs are still just calling the game the way the league wants them to call it. You have to take the question to a higher level, above the refs themselves.

Reactions: Villella McMeans

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
Give mentometer buttons to all the fans in the arena and let them make all the calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad