Add 3rd referee to overrule other 2?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown
After watching game 3 and 4 of 2021 playoffs I had to start this poll. What the f are these refs doing?

main_resized_730x380_60ce007014c08_362767.jpg

No need to go over the details for anyone that watched those games like I did, suffice it to say that something has to change - but how?

I say add a 3rd referee that can overrule the other 2 - anyone else have better ideas can post below.

This 3rd ref would be able to overrule any decision made by the other 2 refs, as well as stop the play and call penalties etc.

The idea would be that the 3rd ref would be passive and not interfere at all unless absolutely necessary to ensure the integrity and fairness of the game - not unlike calling the control room upstairs, but this check and control over the refs would be at ice level, to be party to everything other refs say and everyone else at ice level too. The 3rd ref could stay seated at centre ice with the time keepers with his skates on or something.

This 3rd ref could be one approved of by the NHLPA, as well as whoever approves of them now probably the ref union and NHL I guess - point being that at least it wouldn't be just the same refs we got now being the 3rd ref. Maybe some former players or coaches could apply for this job, who knows.

For example, only egregious missed calls would cause the 3rd ref to stop play, or continuous missed minor calls etc - if the other 2 refs are calling too many or too few penalties this is up to the 3rd ref to intervene or not. The 3rd ref could be subject to press interviews like players and coaches are.

If the current refs and linesmen don't want interference from the 3rd ref, they can try harder to call games more fairly and more consistently - or face more interference from the 3rd refs, the 3 ref could simply gave them his opinions at commercial breaks and intermissions etc, something like warning them at commercial breaks that if calls aren't getting more consistent he'll make the calls for them.

Ideally, this 3rd ref would not even have to interfere, and instead let games continue entirely as we see them now - nothing else need change in the game.

It'd be interesting if the 3rd refs that would be approved by the NHL and NHLPA and refs union could all be former NHLers - that'd be good karma.

Harryhausen

May 16, 2017
Leafland
I like DGB but that is just ignorant. Unless you're a homer or a hater, anyone with eyes can see what is going on here. As for the poll question, I don't think a third ref is going to help if the powers in charge are affecting the calls in a series.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Was this a missed call? The guy swung at the puck that was belly high, hit Perry’s stick and rode up into his face. Is this not a follow through on a shot? Is there a high requirement on what counts as a follow through on a shot?

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
I like DGB but that is just ignorant. Unless you're a homer or a hater, anyone with eyes can see what is going on here. As for the poll question, I don't think a third ref is going to help if the powers in charge are affecting the calls in a series.

You know... it's a joke right?

Reactions: Voight

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
They should just let players chase the refs again and get rid of bettman and his petty fines when he is called out, let the players and coaches be honest in interviews refs are to heavily protected from valid criticism.

A Plus

Jun 20, 2021
New Jersey
I think allowing linesmen to make calls would alleviate the need for referees to be making or missing calls from bad angles

just allow the referees the right to overrule the Linesmen on penalties and vice versa for offsides/icing

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Montreal gets away with so much its hilarious how much they are complaining about the Refs

Holding, slashing, crosschecking, interference on a near shift to shift basis

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Was this a missed call? The guy swung at the puck that was belly high, hit Perry’s stick and rode up into his face. Is this not a follow through on a shot? Is there a high requirement on what counts as a follow through on a shot?

60.1 High-sticking - A “high stick” is one which is carried above the height of the opponent’s shoulders. Players must be in control and responsible for their stick. However, a player is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion, or accidental contact on the opposing center who is bent over during the course of a face-off. A wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normal windup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above the height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly.

it is a penalty

Reactions: Villella McMeans

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Nah, instead why not take advantage of technology? Have someone in a video room that can communicate with the on-ice ref if they see something that the refs missed. They could "beep" the ref to raise his arm and communicate the penalty via an earbud or something

Or like... no rules

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Don't need an extra ref, just call the game by the book.

This off season, release a video about penalties and say this is a penalty, this is a penalty and spell it out. Fans and players will know exactly what they can and can't do and for god sake be consistent when the post season comes.

Reactions: klozge

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown
This is like the answer to gun violence being more guns.

Actually, the answer might well be more guns if you can't ensure that no one has any guns to begin with - being that you cannot control guns effectively, the answer really is for everyone to have guns so that it isn't only the lucky few or just the criminals and government that benefits from having guns.

Just like in hockey everyone gets the same equipment, in society everyone should be able to have guns - not just the government and criminals.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown
Don't need an extra ref, just call the game by the book.

This off season, release a video about penalties and say this is a penalty, this is a penalty and spell it out. Fans and players will know exactly what they can and can't do and for god sake be consistent when the post season comes.

What you're saying had already been tried for decades with no success.

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown
Nah, instead why not take advantage of technology? Have someone in a video room that can communicate with the on-ice ref if they see something that the refs missed. They could "beep" the ref to raise his arm and communicate the penalty via an earbud or something

Or like... no rules

I think better to have someone at ice level to hear everything that happens on the ice.

Plus, having a 3rd ref that is accountable to NHLPA and the media will help with transparency as well as with integrity fairness and consistency.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
At the end of the day, it's basically about the NHL's philosophy, not about the referees, the number of referees, whatever. The NHL wants game management and a dynamically adaptable interpretation of the rulebook. Until that changes, it's almost impossible to evaluate the refs themselves, because right now they are just doing what they are told to. :(

Reactions: Villella McMeans

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I understand the sentiment but i've been watching hockey since the 80's and the refs always been the NHL Achilles heel. Sadly i dont think it will ever change and i'm pretty sure we'll still be frustrated about thereferees in 10 years from now .

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
If anything, going back to one ref would at least bring more consistency.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If there's one thing that will fix bad refereeing...it's definitely more referees.

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown
If anything, going back to one ref would at least bring more consistency.

1, 2, 3 or 10 refs. It won't change a damn thing. They're simply bad and game management will continue being a thing (see Tim Peel).

If there's one thing that will fix bad refereeing...it's definitely more referees.

The 3rd ref won't be one from the pool of union refs who obey the NHL, I am suggesting appointing someone accountable to the NHLPA and the media who will also be a passive ref who won't interfere unless absolutely necessary to ensure things like games 3 and 4 happen again. How else can there be transparency and accountability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad