News Article: Enigmatic Yakupov and The Bounce Back

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
I don't much care about impossible to prove speculation about other players not passing to Yakupov out of possible dislike.

My issue was the idea Yakupov is somehow a puck hog deserving of being taught a lesson by his teammates. Most of whom were not only themselves guilty of being puck hogs, but were also extremely poor at supporting linemates with passing outlets and defensive assignments.

The "core" was essentially the only personnel that was able to throw up points last year. I don't mind some puck hogging if it produces results. If Yakupov threw up 50+ points last year, this wouldn't be much of a conversation. But he struggled big time which means he has to change something to his game or adjust it. All I'm saying is that his one man rushes were not working out for him on a consistent basis and if he used his linemates more often, it would make him a better player. As for him not being passed the puck, I don't see it as a big deal. If my theory is correct, it's a temporary problem and has probably already been swept under the rug.

That's good to hear, your videos are awesome and pump me up for the new season! Any chance you will make a bruiser video in the future? Fights, Gazdic, hits, Gazdic, **** talking, fights, Gazdic and more hits! That would be great. Just a suggestion, looking forward to what you put out next!

Yeah I've thought of this too, just hard to get aggressive footage other than Gazdics fights. Hopefully this year our team provides a more physical game!!

Dude it was Yaks first full season in the NHL. You expect him to not have some deficiencies in his game? Hall RNH and Eberle had deficiencies and problems in there first 2 seasons. Heck all 3 still have some problems. You seriously don't wanna give a pure goal scorer like Yak more time? :help: Look at what Johansen has turned into. LOL you think not passing the puck to him is teaching him a lesson??? What is this? Peewee hockey??

Dude, I never once said I don't wanna give him more time. I have a massive amount of patience when it comes to Yak turning his game around. I see nothing wrong with critiquing his game if he's struggling, and my biggest concern is his use of his linemates, that's it. And no, this isn't peewee hockey....but you're kidding yourself if you think it wouldn't bother teammates over time if the results remain the same IMO.

I certainly witnessed plays last year where at least Eberle refused to pass to Yakupov despite Yak being in a far better position to have the puck. It was earlier in the year and blatantly obvious.

That said, Yakupov also had more than his share of boneheaded plays with the puck.

Imo, if groups are being formed in the room that are affecting play on ice, guys should be moved. I would lean towards dishing Eberle and Schultz well before Yakupov as I think Yak has it in him to be far better than the other two. Eberle is better atm and would bring in a better return. No place here for putting yourself above the team.

I witnessed the same plays you speak of regarding Eberle delibritaly not passing to Yak. We just view it differently I suppose. I don't think it's creating rifts in the room....if anything I'm hoping it's a wake up call approach to squash differences and show that it's a team game.

Oct 30, 2011
Now that Hemsky is gone, Yak's position at @2RW is his to lose. He should feel some pressure from Purcell though. Purcell can play with skill and can add size/net presence(not physicality though).

It seems like Yak is in better shape though, both physically and mentally. I hope he and Perron can develop some chemistry.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I could see that there is some divide between some players in the dressing room. Every team has various cliques of players... some obviously are best buds and get along with each other well on and off the ice and do a lot together.

Then there's the "loner types" who are somewhat indifferent to the social aspects... they are there to do the job, collect a paycheck and off the ice they really don't have much to do with their teammates.. their focus is elsewhere and/or on their families.

So in short... sometimes it's not a matter of players disliking/hating each other... it's simply that their personalities/ages/interests and lifestyle choices tend to segregate them naturally into various groups.

well, some of the young Oilers like to go drinking/clubbing. Yak, being Muslim, probably doesn't partake in this type of activity (i would presume). I could see him not fitting in with the other young guns.

Maybe they should trade for Kadre!! Get a house up in my neck of the woods (Castle Downs; Kadre probably has relatives up here as there are many Kadres in Edmonton). They could go for Sheesha down the street from my house. They'd be local gods.

Wulla, I'd buy a Yak jersy.

Last edited:

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
well, some of the young Oilers like to go drinking/clubbing. Yak, being Muslim, probably doesn't partake in this type of activity (i would presume). I could see him not fitting in with the other young guns.

Maybe they should trade for Kadre!! Get a house up in my neck of the woods (Castle Downs; Kadre probably has relatives up here as there are many Kadres in Edmonton). They could go for Sheesha down the street from my house. They'd be local gods.

Wulla, I'd buy a Yak jersy.

kadri.......:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad