Speculation: Engvall watch: what is he to this team?

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
I think you nailed it. There's times when Engvall seems like he should be a middle 6 staple. But those times sure haven't lasted long. Most of the time he's just a very tall replacement player. The word I like to use a lot is 'noticeable'. How often do I notice a player in a positive way.

Most of the time I don't notice Engvall. He's not impacting the game, and not making a difference. I don't think he wins enough puck battles, I don't think he makes life hard on the opposition with hits, I don't think he improves his linemates, I don't think he dictates the game with his speed, I don't think he intimidates, and I don't think he has a dangerous shot. I don't think he fills any role that a team really needs, aside from filling a roster spot and a sweater.

If he never played for the Leafs again, I'd forget he was ever on the team by Sunday.
I don't think I've ever seen a sustained period of time where he's looked like a middle 6 staple. He refuses to use his tools and the team has encouraged it.

A non physical, underwhelming forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Kyle Wellwood can probably beat up this guy, don't hold your breath he's going to turn into a bottom 6 beast.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
He's another forward, amongst about 4 of them who needs to bring a little more urgency.
Why not play him in the middle and let kerfoot play the wing since he succs in the face off circle and he can use his speed better on the wing

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Why not play him in the middle and let kerfoot play the wing since he succs in the face off circle and he can use his speed better on the wing

It is a possibility, but Kerfoot has a lot more experience and familiarity at center.

Although they could just use Jarnkrok at center if they really wanted Kerfoot on the wing.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
So he is the problem with this team... When the first line starts lifting their weight i might go on to the second line, If that line is ok, then the third line and so on.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
So he is the problem with this team... When the first line starts lifting their weight i might go on to the second line, If that line is ok, then the third line and so on.
The flaw in this logic is you must be willing to move every member on the top line if you're giving Engvall a free pass because the top line is rusty.

The concerns have more to do than the top 6 trends. I would hope most of us are fixated on a very particular set of 16 wins.

Edit: You might be onto something actually. It's how they currently run the team. Top 6 good? Okay bless, scrap heap the rest of the team who cares. Bottom 6 not good? It's okay just wait for the big 4 above to heat up before we make any changes and if they are hot just sit back and relax, but if you get bored you can trade some picks for more of nothing. Infinite loop of sucking.

Last edited:

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
You might be onto something actually. It's how they currently run the team. Top 6 good? Okay bless, scrap heap the rest of the team who cares. Bottom 6 not good? It's okay just wait for the big 4 above to heat up before we make any changes and if they are hot just sit back and relax, but if you get bored you can trade some picks for more of nothing. Infinite loop of sucking.
It's scary how accurate this exaggeration is.

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
I think Engval is the most frustrating to watch because no other player leaves us wanting more as much as Engval does. We seem glimpses of him being capable, so we expect to see it consistently.

I hold my breath every time he's on the ice, and I think "this is the shift where he goes beast mode". But, obviously, that never happens. I really thought we'd see it this year. He's signed a 1-year deal and I figured this was his "show me" opportunity.

Engval is the very definition of "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane".

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This year's scapegoat, apparently.

I had posted that earlier, and while it's true, he is being scapegoated.... he also isn't having a great start to the year. He's been on the ice for ONE goal for this year, and THREE against. He has no points. The one bright spot, is he's been decent on the PK. I don't expect him to be a star by any means, but he is the Sixth highest paid forward on the team, he really needs to play like it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It is possible to be critical of a player with them being a 'scape goat'.
Crazy concept I know.

Uncus13

Sep 11, 2017
Gone gone gone he isn't being scapegoated. He has always been a soft player with no heart. Nothing more and nothing less.
Time to cut bait and enough of the engval session .... bring any kid up instead of this creep he won't be around when Keefe and Dubas are sent into the wasteland to hibernate on each other's back lol.
If you could get a 3rd or 4th for him I would do it in a second. Pk can be taught there is no talent level except skating which he doesn't use in his game that can't be taught or bought very cheaply
Just my anti-Engval anger lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: horner

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leafs can't take him out right now as he does bring some speed to lineup which in general right now is a SLOW lineup up front .. good to see Robertson bring some speed last night .. it has been missing this year

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I had posted that earlier, and while it's true, he is being scapegoated.... he also isn't having a great start to the year. He's been on the ice for ONE goal for this year, and THREE against. He has no points. The one bright spot, is he's been decent on the PK. I don't expect him to be a star by any means, but he is the Sixth highest paid forward on the team, he really needs to play like it.
Yeah, he's not doing great. He's been terrible at handling the puck. But IMO he's in the "who gives a shit" pile of players. Hot streaks and cold streaks for third line wingers really don't matter, depth should be judged on aggregate. I hope he plays better, but at 2.25m cap hit, he's never going to register as an actual problem for this team.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
By the new year Engvall needs to be traded.
Especially if Muzzin is gone , we are going to have to bring someone in.
He is not da answer for sure but getting a big guy who can hit and skate at Engval's AAV will not be an easy feat for a CAP struggling team

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
It is possible to be critical of a player with them being a 'scape goat'.
Crazy concept I know.
The concept of a scapegoat refers to the proportion of the criticism. Engvall has not played well this year, but if we're honest about things the difference between Engvall playing well and poorly doesn't change a single result for us. He's nowhere near enough of an impact player to deserve the amount of bellyaching that he gets. People write stuff like, "we have to trade this guy" which is a laugh. What Auston Matthews eats for breakfast is more important than Pierre Engvall.

So yeah, criticize away, but IMO most people are just complaining for the sake of complaining. Always has to be something to complain about!

Reactions: freshwind

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
On a line with Kerfoot and Jarnkrok, Engval is the only player that can move the puck, the other two wave their sticks. 6'5" doesn't mean he has to be physical, Robertson isn't physical, TO's minor leaguers aren't physical, Malgin isn't physical, Kampf isn't, basically TO has few physical players and they're deservedly mostly 4th liners.
Precisely thats why we never get anywhere

Reactions: ShaneFalco

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

It's been a slow start for Pierre Engvall, who has not produced a point and played just 8:31 on Thursday. Keefe believes an offseason ankle injury, which forced Engvall to miss the start of camp, really set the 26-year-old Swede back.

"He's looked tentative and hesitant to skate," said Keefe. "That's his No. 1 asset is to move his feet both with the puck and without the puck to get involved and he hasn't done that here quite yet."

Engvall will be a healthy scratch in Winnipeg.

"A bit of a reset for him tonight," Keefe said. "I spoke with him about that yesterday. I want him to clear his head. He's an important player for us. I know he has more ability to impact our lineup positively. He had a good season last year and we're looking for him to build on that and it hasn't gone the way he or I would've have liked to start the season. He's an important guy and we need to get him going."

Engvall produced 15 goals and 35 points in 78 games last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad