Speculation: Engvall watch: what is he to this team?

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
he's fine as a fourth line winger and PKer.
You're okay with 2.25m on your 4th line?

He doesn't fight, barely hits... There's a TON of league min players that bring that. ZAR and NAK Are top tier 4th liners, and they don't make 2.25m. he'll also be looking for a raise next year too.. might as well give that spot to a hungry prospect with top 6 potential or a hard working skilled player that can hit/fight.

If I wanted a player with a long reach and plays defense I'd sign Marincin back and tell him to play forward.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
His elite skating/ stride creates separation and room for plays and his teammates, but he's really looked like a half step behind where he was last year. This is probably expected considering he missed a large part of training camp. I would expect we give him another 10 - 15 games before making any decisions about him.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
the player with 0 offensive IQ? I doubt players miss playing with him. Engvall maybe because they are similar in that sense.
Which player are you comparing Mikheyev to? Matthews or Denis Malgin? Mikheyev was not a chump. Sorry.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Which player are you comparing Mikheyev to? Matthews or Denis Malgin? Mikheyev was not a chump. Sorry.

Mikheyev is like Kapanen to me, tons of tools, just doesn't have great offensive instinct, sorry if you think he does, but he is best suited to play with other low offensive IQ players.

He is still a good player and useful, just not in the top 6. And for sure now at his current cap hit.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Nylander-Tavares-Engvall

This is something I would look at. His size and reach can be really useful on the defensive end, disrupting passing lanes on the backcheck and in small areas poking the puck loose. He is an excellent skater for his size and can skate with Nylander. Kapanen proved he cant finish plays, Engvall I think needs a look. His subpar forechecking, lack of finishing skill, might be the reason why he cant sustain that spot on that line. Engvall has some upside still.

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
That play last night along the boards that we all shook our heads at was indicative of how useless he can be.

If I was his agent or mentor I would advise him to become more like Ryan Reaves. He could make lots of money and never have to worry about the puck.

I was at the game, everyone sucked until half way in the second where everyone woke up... Engvall is not that bad! lets talk about Holl... lol. even though he scored a goal, he still sucks!

I wouldn’t touch this one even with ……….
View attachment 594780
But the man still sticks his 'neck' out every night!!!! :) I have no beef with the man...Holl on the other hand, you can 'Holl' his ass out of Toronto for an upgrade!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He’s the type that some will defend and mock others for not liking but then be quickly forgotten once gone.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I was at the game, everyone sucked until half way in the second where everyone woke up... Engvall is not that bad! lets talk about Holl... lol. even though he scored a goal, he still sucks!

But the man still sticks his 'neck' out every night!!!! :) I have no beef with the man...Holl on the other hand, you can 'Holl' his ass out of Toronto for an upgrade!
This is an Engvall thread.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Engvall's size is more reach than anything. He's not super soft but he's not some punisher on the ice or guaranteed to win one on ones with smaller opponents. From the short sample of the season thus far, Jarnkrok is a better version of Engvall: more pressuring on the forecheck, more carrying his momentum through into traffic, harder with the body contact, more hustling on the penalty kill.

I want Robertson to have a nice run with the Marlies to earn the promotion so he hits the ice in full flight when the opportunity presents itself.
Couldn't agree more about Robertson. He needs to play. He needs to be trending up when he hits the NHL ice and then let him play a long stretch to get his bearings at that level. I hate Keefe for over managing Sandin, Lily etc.
If he starts pulling Sandin in and out again it does not help out development. NHL guys must learn their game with the long grind. Find your spots, play a safe game, not try to over play.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Pulling for Engvall, he’s got a lot of tools you’d like in a player but just can’t seem to get to that next step. Hasn’t had a great start to the season and may need a little kick in the ass by sitting a game or two to get him going. Gets Robertson in the lineup as well.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Well our stars Mathews and Marner are more physical than him, he has no excuse with that 6'5 frame to play that passive, he puts exactly 0 fear on teams defensemen or any other puck carrier. IMHO I've seen enough

Reactions: Uncus13

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
On a line with Kerfoot and Jarnkrok, Engval is the only player that can move the puck, the other two wave their sticks. 6'5" doesn't mean he has to be physical, Robertson isn't physical, TO's minor leaguers aren't physical, Malgin isn't physical, Kampf isn't, basically TO has few physical players and they're deservedly mostly 4th liners.

• Wow
Reactions: Uncus13

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
he's fine as a fourth line winger and PKer.
Our depth got weaker yet he still dropped from no.5 most used forward on pk to...I don't even know anymore because money puck stops at 9th highest pk minutes.

Can only be max 6th for forwards.

*I meant to say our pk depth was weakened (Mik) and he didn't default to miks spot as a result. Bunch of new guys came in and automatically slotted ahead

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Just imagine if Engvall played the way Jarnkrok plays the game. Honest to goodness Engvall might be a highly desirable power forward. And what's stopping Engvall from playing the game that way? Probably nothing, he's got the footspeed, the size, the physique, even decent hands.
His processor is too slow to make use of those tools.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
You're okay with 2.25m on your 4th line?

He doesn't fight, barely hits... There's a TON of league min players that bring that. ZAR and NAK Are top tier 4th liners, and they don't make 2.25m. he'll also be looking for a raise next year too.. might as well give that spot to a hungry prospect with top 6 potential or a hard working skilled player that can hit/fight.

If I wanted a player with a long reach and plays defense I'd sign Marincin back and tell him to play forward.

I think you nailed it. There's times when Engvall seems like he should be a middle 6 staple. But those times sure haven't lasted long. Most of the time he's just a very tall replacement player. The word I like to use a lot is 'noticeable'. How often do I notice a player in a positive way.

Most of the time I don't notice Engvall. He's not impacting the game, and not making a difference. I don't think he wins enough puck battles, I don't think he makes life hard on the opposition with hits, I don't think he improves his linemates, I don't think he dictates the game with his speed, I don't think he intimidates, and I don't think he has a dangerous shot. I don't think he fills any role that a team really needs, aside from filling a roster spot and a sweater.

If he never played for the Leafs again, I'd forget he was ever on the team by Sunday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad