GWT: English Premier League Round 4

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He didn't not have to do what he did. Ederson was not equally reckless.

Running off your line and leading with your head for a 50-50 ball is reckless.

If he stays in the box he just uses his hands. Ederson, like Mane, only had eyes for the ball.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He has a right to the ball. Mane has to put his leg up to play the ball. Ederson was equally reckless and he got hurt.

He in no way "has to" put his leg 6 feet in the air to play the ball. In fact he explicitly isn't supposed to do that. He could have let it drop further before playing it or been in a better spot to get under it to head/chest it. It's against the rules to do what he did, why is that so hard to grasp?

Ederson wasn't equally reckless. If they had simply collided and Ederson got hurt, I'd put more of the blame on him for coming way out for sure. He was kicked in the face though, so he in no way gets half the blame for that.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Mane has a right to the ball. He is 5'8", where else is he supposed to put his leg in order to play the ball?

kd0ml.gif

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Mane is 5'8". Ederson is 6'3" and leading with his head. Mane doesn't see him . Where is Mane supposed to put his leg? That's why it's head height. Let's not pretend Ederson got karate kicked.

How do you know that? To me it looked the opposite and Mane believed that he could win the battle. Which he did, but in a very reckless way.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I don't agree and that's okay.

Ederson comes off his line recklessly and aggressively which is his style but he put himself in danger and he got caught.

Does Mane not have a right to go for that ball?

You've been spending too much time around Curtinho.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Has to be a red. I understand he was going for/looking at the ball, but he did so in a reckless manner.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He in no way "has to" put his leg 6 feet in the air to play the ball. In fact he explicitly isn't supposed to do that. He could have let it drop further before playing it or been in a better spot to get under it to head/chest it. It's against the rules to do what he did, why is that so hard to grasp?

Ederson wasn't equally reckless. If they had simply collided and Ederson got hurt, I'd put more of the blame on him for coming way out for sure. He was kicked in the face though, so he in no way gets half the blame for that.

Mane is potential 1v1 with the keeper, whom he doesn't see. He isn't going to play that with his head there when he beat the defense. It was a complete accident. Ederson comes out head first, and drops his head. Head meets foot.

I don't agree. And that's fine.

Arcade Fire

Trash human being.
Apr 17, 2014
The Suburbs
He has a right to the ball. Mane has to put his leg up to play the ball. Ederson was equally reckless and he got hurt.
If you have to put your foot that high and risk the safety of everyone else on the pitch to challenge for the ball maybe you shouldn't challenge for the ball in that situation.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If you have to put your foot that high and risk the safety of everyone else on the pitch to challenge for the ball maybe you shouldn't challenge for the ball in that situation.

He has to put his foot high because he is trying to play a ball that he has the right to. It's not his fault that the keeper is six inches taller than him and has his head down.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Mane is potential 1v1 with the keeper, whom he doesn't see. He isn't going to play that with his head there when he beat the defense. It was a complete accident. Ederson comes out head first, and drops his head. Head meets foot.

I don't agree. And that's fine.

NO ONE IS SAYING THIS WAS INTENTIONAL.

It's reckless to kick that high and it's against the rules. If he can't play the ball without kicking that high, he shouldn't be trying to play the ball. It was a reckless challenge and a deserved red. You don't know he didn't see Ederson either, and I find it hard to believe he didn't with the angle of approach. I highly doubt Mane's peripheral vision is so bad he couldn't see him coming at all.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Klopp is ruthless. Putting Ox in a massacre on his debut after experiencing a similar massacre in the previous game.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He has to put his foot high because he is trying to play a ball that he has the right to. It's not his fault that the keeper is six inches taller than him and has his head down.

You keep tossing out the height difference like it makes it better. Mane kicking someone in the head who is 6'3" is worse than kicking someone in the head who is 5'4". It's his fault for trying for such a high kick. If he can't play the ball without doing that, he doesn't have a right to play the ball.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
NO ONE IS SAYING THIS WAS INTENTIONAL.

It's reckless to kick that high and it's against the rules. If he can't play the ball without kicking that high, he shouldn't be trying to play the ball. It was a reckless challenge and a deserved red. You don't know he didn't see Ederson either, and I find it hard to believe he didn't with the angle of approach. I highly doubt Mane's peripheral vision is so bad he couldn't see him coming at all.

https://m.imgur.com/z6vJF9v

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Clear red for me. It's a shame for the game, and for Mane as well, but the safety of players is paramount. He doesn't have to intend to kick him in the head for it to be a red.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Do you know what peripheral vision is? Being totally focused on the ball is not the same as not being able to see any of your surroundings. :facepalm:

I think Clatterberg knows better than either of us. I don't think a red in this situation was controversial either but there certainly is a divided opinion.

StatesideSensFan

Jun 29, 2003
Atlanta
Yea, like the red loving Clattenburg is the ref to ask anyways :laugh:

Mark got in trouble for his LFC affiliation a time or 2 as I remember

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Can Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain become the first Premier League footballer to lose 4-0 two games in a row for different clubs? For the culture.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think Clatterberg knows better than either of us

So when your arguments fail and are clearly wrong, you fall back on appeal to authority? I think Jon Moss knows better than either of us as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad