GWT: English Premier League Round 4

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
50/50 ball. Mane 1v1 with keeper. The both go for the ball. Since it's outside of the box Ederson leads with his head. Mane only has eyes for the ball as well and has his leg up. Mane doesn't see Ederson. Mane's foot meets Ederson's head. I thought it would have been a yellow if Ederson didn't get rocked but it certainly wasn't evil. The ref doesn't need to protect the keeper like that ifs it's out of the box.

It's still reckless to not pay attention to your surroundings and go in with your foot that high.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's still reckless to not pay attention to your surroundings and go in with your foot that high.

Gary Neville doesn't think it's a red either.

It's reckless from both players. Ederson wasn't paying attention either. Both only had eyes for the ball. If it's in the box that's a red everytime.

Outside the box I don't think that the forward should have to pull up in that situation because the keeper is going in head first.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
l_239.jpg

Clear red...see ya later Mane

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Does reckless, but unintentional, get more than 3 games becuase of an injury though?

We'll see what happens.

Kind of reminds me of the Nani sending off in the UCL some years back, though his situation didn't result in an injury for the opposing player. Back then most people thought a yellow would have sufficed instead of a straight red.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea just saw the replay for the first time. That's a red 100% of the time no matter where on the pitch it is.

Don't think it's worth an additional suspension beyond the 3 games though.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Came for the delusion, not disappointed.

He went studs out, both feet off the ground, with neck level kick.

Doesn't matter if he's trying to play the ball or where he was looking. That was dangerous as hell. Looking like Cantona out there.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Don't think it's worth an additional suspension beyond the 3 games though.

Maybe, maybe not. For sure something FA will take a look at. It's not like Ederson is particallary low with his head either. Fast pace, second in to the situation, bottom of the boot to the chin. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being more than 3 games

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That's not even the ref protecting the keeper, that play on any other player would've resulted in a red.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Came for the delusion, not disappointed.

He went studs out, both feet off the ground, with neck level kick.

Doesn't matter if he's trying to play the ball or where he was looking. That was dangerous as hell. Looking like Cantona out there.

He's outside the box so I think it's yellow. If it's inside the box it's red, so I'm not going to argue to hard against it. No anti-ref crusade, just my opinion.

It's terrible that Ederson got hurt. Anything more than 3 games though would be a joke though.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
He's outside the box so I think it's yellow. If it's inside the box it's red, so I'm not going to argue to hard against it. No anti-ref crusade, just my opinion.

It's terrible that Ederson got hurt. Anything more than 3 games though would be a joke though.

He literally went full speed jumping studs into a players chin. That's a red no matter where it happens.

Obviously it wasn't intentional, but it's clearly incredibly reckless and deserves a red.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That Mane red clearly wasn't intentional, but you still don't go around with your boot at head height. He kicked him in the head, good call.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He literally went full speed jumping studs into a players chin. That's a red no matter where it happens.

Obviously it wasn't intentional, but it's clearly incredibly reckless and deserves a red.

I don't agree and that's okay.

Ederson comes off his line recklessly and aggressively which is his style but he put himself in danger and he got caught.

Does Mane not have a right to go for that ball?

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015

Ederson comes off his line recklessly and aggressively which is his style but he put himself in danger and he got caught.

He has the right..not with stud up first at head height...if he try to attempt an header there hell get nothing or a yellow...

that challenge was stupid as hell

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Not with his studs up like that, no he absolutely doesn't have the right to go for the ball.

Ederson wasn't reckless in coming off, he was aggressive. There's a massive difference.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Of course he has a right to go for that ball. He doesn't have a right to do a flying leg kick like that though. If he had just collided with him by trying for the ball, this is a completely different call, but he kicked him in the face/neck. That's reckless and he needs to control himself better than that. Should be an automatic call every time anywhere on the pitch against any player.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
A keeper 25 yards from his goal line shouldn't be playing the ball with his head. If that's in the box and he gets a stud that high then sure but coming out like that to play a header is just as reckless as Mane playing his boot that high.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
A keeper 25 yards from his goal line shouldn't be playing the ball with his head. If that's in the box and he gets a stud that high then sure but coming out like that to play a header is just as reckless as Mane playing his boot that high.

:laugh:

Ederson coming way out to play a ball is not as reckless as jumping through the air with your studs up at head height.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Of course he has a right to go for that ball. He doesn't have a right to do a flying leg kick like that though. If he had just collided with him by trying for the ball, this is a completely different call, but he kicked him in the face/neck. That's reckless and he needs to control himself better than that. Should be an automatic call every time anywhere on the pitch against any player.

Mane is 5'8". Ederson is 6'3" and leading with his head. Mane doesn't see him. Where is Mane supposed to put his leg? That's why it's head height. Let's not pretend Ederson got karate kicked.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

I agree re 3 games. He's not trying to injure him - no need for a longer ban.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Mane is 5'8". Ederson is 6'3" and leading with his head. Mane doesn't see him. Where is Mane supposed to put his leg? That's why it's head height. Let's not pretend Ederson got karate kicked.

He's not supposed to put his leg that high in the air. It's against the rules, plain and simple. Incredibly reckless play by Mane and a deserved red.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He's not supposed to put his leg that high in the air. It's against the rules, plain and simple. Incredibly reckless play by Mane and a deserved red.

He has a right to the ball. Mane has to put his leg up to play the ball. Ederson was equally reckless and he got hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad