GWT: English Premier League: Round 13

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
So here is a potentially dumb question from someone that doesn't live in England:

Do EPL teams that have many players on the England national team gain in popularity? Seeing how Spurs appear to have 3-5 starters moving forward, if they have success Internationally, would that do anything for a teams popularity within England?

I don't live in England, but based on what I've seen over the years I'd say it's more down to the success of the club more than anything. You get regional loyalties for sure, but I think Spurs would need to be more successful to gain popularity. Of course having popular players would surely make a difference as well, but overall thinking back to that map someone posted a couple of months back I would think if any club were to gain popularity outside of it's home base it would be down to success more than anything.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
So here is a potentially dumb question from someone that doesn't live in England:

Do EPL teams that have many players on the England national team gain in popularity? Seeing how Spurs appear to have 3-5 starters moving forward, if they have success Internationally, would that do anything for a teams popularity within England?

I'd agree with Les Habs. Don't forget that Hammers fans like to trumpet, 'West Ham won the World Cup', on account of the captain and both final scorers from the 1966 team playing for them at the time, but it didn't boost their popularity nationwide.

Two major tournaments are considered to have been crucial to the revitalisation of English football following the depressing 80s: Italia 90 and Euro 96. In the former, Paul Gascoigne and Gary Lineker were two of England's biggest stars. In the latter, Darren Anderton and Teddy Sheringham started every game. In neither case did Spurs reap any noticeable benefits.

Club overrides country in almost every respect.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I'd agree with Les Habs. Don't forget that Hammers fans like to trumpet, 'West Ham won the World Cup', on account of the captain and both final scorers from the 1966 team playing for them at the time, but it didn't boost their popularity nationwide.

Two major tournaments are considered to have been crucial to the revitalisation of English football following the depressing 80s: Italia 90 and Euro 96. In the former, Paul Gascoigne and Gary Lineker were two of England's biggest stars. In the latter, Darren Anderton and Teddy Sheringham started every game. In neither case did Spurs reap any noticeable benefits.

Club overrides country in almost every respect.

Yeah, this has always been my understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a lot of folks who are very apathetic to the national team, and people who wouldn't think of rooting for them because they dislike the players due to their club affiliations.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Yeah, this has always been my understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a lot of folks who are very apathetic to the national team, and people who wouldn't think of rooting for them because they dislike the players due to their club affiliations.

That's what I was wondering. If I LOVED ManCity, I would find it hard to want Rooney to do well, even for the national club.

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
That's what I was wondering. If I LOVED ManCity, I would find it hard to want Rooney to do well, even for the national club.

I think you kinda need to cast allegiances aside though in that case. If Joe Hart is capable of playing alongside Rooney then surely a fan could bring himself to hope England succeeds, even if Rooney plays a big part.

StatesideSensFan

Jun 29, 2003
Atlanta
Crystal Palace is playing down to the level of their opposition.
Dont worry, they win at Goodison for the third year running as i say that.

Duncan Watmore is giving Bolasie and Souare a hard time down the right side.

StatesideSensFan

Jun 29, 2003
Atlanta
Sunderland wins at Selhurst again, site of their last road win.

Defoe is the beneficiary of some terrible foulups; Stones and Dann/Hennessy.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Dunno why I was thinking this was an off Monday. Working from home, could've had that on instead of this awful St. John's/Vandy game.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's hard to root for national team when your players go off to play for a dinosaur who doesn't follow training and a fitness regimen for your players. National team is important and all, but you have to be a bit bitter when they're off playing a meaningless friendly against some side to enrich the FA at the expense of your local side.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Note, success helps, but as much style and persona means a bit. It would be one thing to have a few national teamers to boost the profile, but if they're guys with the buzz of a James Milner, it won't matter.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The national culture surrounding the support of the national team in virtually every European country is vastly different to America's view on international competition. Do you think a hardcore local Barcelona fan was unable to celebrate Spain's World Cup win because it was Casillas lifting the trophy? Do you think Stray Wasp would care if Lee Cattermole was the victorious England captain sorry I'm laughing too much to finish the sentence. You get the picture.

Regarding the original, question, no, not really. Club success is relevant to club popularity, you'd have to be a pretty transcendent figure for individual international success to lead to more people liking the team you play for.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

You don't need correcting on the bolded. As I always remark on these occasions, I'd cheer Newcastle winning the coin toss louder than England winning the World Cup.

Part of my problem with England is that for too long the team was packed with personalities I couldn't stand. Another problem is that too many people seem to want the England team to represent a version of the country that I want nothing to do with, both culturally and in footballing terms. But perhaps the biggest problem of all is that England feels like a southern team rather than a national one. (The irony of my saying this having moved to London and loving the place isn't lost on me.)

In contrast, I always root for the England cricket team. The rugby union team can **** off, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad