GWT: English Premier League: 5/12 - 5/18/2017

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Ãlvaro Arbeloa, Angelo Ogbonna, Doneil Henry, Cheikhou Kouyaté, Mark Noble, Pedro Obiang, Gökhan Töre, Michail Antonio, Diafra Sakho & Andy Carroll are all ruled out through injury

If Liverpool don't get three points...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is what Arsenal does. They have 2 or 3 lulls a season, finish strong and stay in top four. In the meantime Liverpool is pooping the the bed.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Happy we're playing Everton in the final game. They're locked in at 7 and might wanna stick it to their crosstown rivals.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The bed wetting will look hilarious one way or the other come tomorrow. I think Liverpool will get the points and I think this team is mentally strong when they absolutely must win. The last game will probably be more difficult.

And if they can't win it then Klopp will be forced to sell a lot of players who aren't good enough. The realization will probably be harsh for a lot of people. Win-win in my book.

The idea that Bilic will park the bus when he's trying to save his job is pure delusion, they're only doing that if they score very early. They will come to win.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm also very happy because these are the kinds of games I want to see. I want to care until the very end and that's two seasons in a row of it. My expectations have been met.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
With all the players out for West Ham, think this will be a win. I'm quite confident. If they cant beat Boro West Ham in this stage and Boro at home, they deserve Thursday night matches. Also if you told me in early August that with two games to go, if Liverpool were to beat West Ham and Boro they would finish 4th with 76 points, would have taken it. Need to unleash Sturridge and play Lallana in the midfield.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
When I saw Liverpool in preseason, I wasn't even sure Liverpool would qualify for Europe at all, honestly. I don't think the team suits Klopp's preferred tactics very much at all. There are lots of slow players out there who don't press, so effectively they're playing Italian style football late in the season and to get the CL in this league when doing that...that's hard.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I'm hoping somehow that it will end up requiring a 39th game playoff for 4th place.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'm hoping somehow that it will end up requiring a 39th game playoff for 4th place.

Liverpool 1-1 draw against west ham, 1-1 draw against boro.

City 1-3 loss against WBA, 0-3 loss against Watford.

Arsenal 1-0 win against Sunderland, 0-1 loss against Everton.

All three teams tied on points, goal difference and goals scored.

Even if only two of those scenarios happen, since CL positions are at play the rules stipulate some kind of neutral ground playoff.

I know what I'm hoping for in the next week. :laugh:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The bed wetting will look hilarious one way or the other come tomorrow. I think Liverpool will get the points and I think this team is mentally strong when they absolutely must win. The last game will probably be more difficult.

And if they can't win it then Klopp will be forced to sell a lot of players who aren't good enough. The realization will probably be harsh for a lot of people. Win-win in my book.

The idea that Bilic will park the bus when he's trying to save his job is pure delusion, they're only doing that if they score very early. They will come to win.

I disagree with almost every word of this. But I hope I am wrong. We will see tomorrow.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
With all the players out for West Ham, think this will be a win. I'm quite confident. If they cant beat Boro West Ham in this stage and Boro at home, they deserve Thursday night matches. Also if you told me in early August that with two games to go, if Liverpool were to beat West Ham and Boro they would finish 4th with 76 points, would have taken it. Need to unleash Sturridge and play Lallana in the midfield.

It's not about whether they deserve to play Thursday's or not. Without CL it is going to be extremely difficult to improve the team in the summer.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
It's not about whether they deserve to play Thursday's or not. Without CL it is going to be extremely difficult to improve the team in the summer.

That is crap. They can improve without the champions league. Matip, Mane, and Wijnaldum were all bought without them being in the Champions League. All three of them are good signings and have improved this team this year. You can get good players without the champions league.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That is crap. They can improve without the champions league. Matip, Mane, and Wijnaldum were all bought without them being in the Champions League. All three of them are goof signings and have improved this team this year. You can get good players without the champions league.

Matip came as a free in January. Mane was because Gotze said no, (because of no CL), and Gini was because the Pozzo's refused to sell them Zielinski. It's worked out to an extent but they fell backwards into it incredibly luckily. It would be naive to expect that to happen again.

We already know they can't get their top two targets, Van Dijk and Keita, without CL. Chelsea and Man Utd are going to be back in CL. More teams can compete financially. Let's not pretend that LFC choking away a top four spot would not be a bloody big deal.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Matip came as a free in January. Mane was because Gotze said no, (because of no CL), and Gini was because the Pozzo's refused to sell them Zielinski. It's worked out to an extent but they fell backwards into it incredibly luckily. It would be naive to expect that to happen again.

We already know they can't get their top two targets, Van Dijk and Keita, without CL. Chelsea and Man Utd are going to be back in CL. More teams can compete financially. Let's not pretend that LFC choking away a top four spot would not be a bloody big deal.

Keita isn't coming either way. Red Bull isn't selling. Neither is Brandt or Pulisic. Nobody is saying if they blow this it isn't terrible, but the notion that that it will be nearly impossible to improve without is just wrong.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Keita isn't coming either way. Red Bull isn't selling. Neither is Brandt or Pulisic. Nobody is saying if they blow this it isn't terrible, but the notion that that it will be nearly impossible to improve without is just wrong.

Going from Van Dijk and Keita to Michael Keane and, I don't know, Gyfli Sigurdsson (not linked using as example if he wants out) is a MASSIVE drop.

It will be very hard to improve. They won't get the players they need to score on parked buses and and it's going to be near impossible to do better against the top 8 than they did this season. They are
Much more likely to do worse.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There's a lot hinging on us making the top 4. So let's just hope it happens so we don't have to think about what would be available if we don't. I really can't believe we're even in this situation but it is what it is. I had no expectations of top 4 at the beginning of the season, but now that we're in this position I think it would be a massive failure to miss out, and I do hold Klopp solely responsible for our fate in the coming weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad