Sportsnet: Engels: Ilya Kovalchuk linked to Bruins, Flames, Oilers

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
If the Habs keep him, he will want and get a big payday considering his stats and he will deserve it. Probably looking at 7 million plus next year and he will want term. He is playing for a contract right now showcasing himself. This position of strength could backfire if the Habs do not trade him before the deadline and he walks for free in summer. Be kinda funny if he stays and they miss the playoffs by a point.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He would be a nice for MTL to re-sign for another year or so. Young guys need some quality vets around.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Keep him. He isnt going to fetch more than a low 2nd. He loves it in Montreal and plays for cheap

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I would resign him on a 2 years deal, depends on what he is asking tho, if it’s over 5M a year im out but honestly he is such a good player. He has such fun playing here and it shows, thats maybe what he needed here. It could also be a nice transition for Romanov next year, since he doesn’t speak english Kovalchuk could be a really good presence for him.

Reactions: Pierre Lebrun

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
If the Habs keep him, he will want and get a big payday considering his stats and he will deserve it. Probably looking at 7 million plus next year and he will want term. He is playing for a contract right now showcasing himself. This position of strength could backfire if the Habs do not trade him before the deadline and he walks for free in summer. Be kinda funny if he stays and they miss the playoffs by a point.
I really don't think he's going to get a big financial commitment from any team. The idea of a fired-up Kovalchuk for a stretch run might excite some teams, but no GM is going to forget the investment the Kings made that did not pay off at all. He's older than he was when he signed that, so I'm not sure where the idea that he'll get 7 million and term is coming from.
Will a team offer up a 1st? If so, that's something to think about. Otherwise, I think they'll get more value out of a cheap 1 or 2-year deal keeping Kovalchuk.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I've been thinking something involving Kovalchuk to Boston with most of Backes' contract coming back could benefit both teams, but Boston would have to pay through the teeth

They wouldn't for Kovy.

For someone better sure.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
It's a little funny that LA misused him, scratched him and then terminated his contract, and, now, Kovalchuk is a trade target of all of the same teams that are rumored to be interested in Toffoli, which doesn't help the latter's value. Kovalchuk continues to haunt LA even after he's gone.

He also costs effectively nothing against the cap (big plus since most teams looking to load up are cap crunched) thanks to LA releasing him and carrying his 6 million dollar cap hit.

Get bent Kings

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
They wouldn't for Kovy.

For someone better sure.

Depends on what they define as "better". Last time "best" player they could find was Rick Nash.

Kovalchuk is not as shiny as Kreider but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a much more effective playoff rental, especially with how much less of an NHL season grind he'll have on him in April. Gaborik wasn't thought of highly when LA got him from Columbus for their second cup run yet he absolutely lit it up in the playoffs for them. And he does have that 2012 cup run performance under his belt that dwarfs anything any other potential rental this year has accomplished in the playoffs.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Depends on what they define as "better". Last time "best" player they could find was Rick Nash.

Kovalchuk is not as shiny as Kreider but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a much more effective playoff rental, especially with how much less of an NHL season grind he'll have on him in April. Gaborik wasn't thought of highly when LA got him from Columbus for their second cup run yet he absolutely lit it up in the playoffs for them. And he does have that 2012 cup run performance under his belt that dwarfs anything any other potential rental this year has accomplished in the playoffs.

You haven't given a single thought to the Bruins in your post.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I can see kovi joining the pp in Edmonton while playing on the second line if nuge get bumped up.

Nuge - McDavid - Kassian
Yama - Drai - kovi

Yup that’s the ay to develop a rookie . Put him on his wrong wing . Yamamoto needs to play his natural position. Better to move Kassian to LW and Kovalchuk with McDavid

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
It's not that Kovalchuk wouldn't improve the Oilers, but rather that Edmonton could probably spend its resources more efficiently on a better fit. Besides, Kovalchuk is on a shooting % heater (15.0), and like Pageau, will likely slow down in terms of production.

That being said, the Oilers organization is statistically illiterate and would totally pay a peak price before natural regression kicks in. If I were the Oilers, I would look at Tyler Ennis as a cheaper rental who can play up and down the roster. Plus, they need to replace the speed they lost with Nygard in the bottom 6.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Yup that’s the ay to develop a rookie . Put him on his wrong wing . Yamamoto needs to play his natural position. Better to move Kassian to LW and Kovalchuk with McDavid
I mean kovy plays both wings pretty interchangeabley. So I'd just swap him and Yamamoto's positions no?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd be all kinds of pissed if we trade a 2nd for him when we potentially could've just signed him a few months ago.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
But why? You could get a free pick for him

If he expresses interest in coming back to montreal next year, it should give pause to the notion of dumping him for any pick.

If he doesnt want to be back, then sure, flip him for whatever you can get.

If kovakchuk keeps being a difference maker, and expresses interest to be back, then I think the conditions are ripe for him not to get traded unless we start talking into the 2nd round ballpark. I doubt teams will get into that action.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad