Sportsnet: Engels: Ilya Kovalchuk linked to Bruins, Flames, Oilers

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I was pleasantly shocked when the Devils got a 2nd for Brian Boyle, you just need to find one team that will pony up something good.

I do feel like people are ignoring how significantly worse the Bruins 2nd is compared to ones from Western teams fighting for wild card spots. Those teams in the Pacific have picks 15+ spots earlier, that effects value. It’s even more true about the Bruins 1st when discussing Kreider etc.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I've been thinking something involving Kovalchuk to Boston with most of Backes' contract coming back could benefit both teams, but Boston would have to pay through the teeth

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This might be a little overpay.

If the Oilers are giving up Bouchard and RNH for Kovalchuk, then the Habs need to add a second rounder.

Wow... I donno if Montreal would be willing to pony that up. Maybe it should be conditional if Kovy doesn't play 300 games with the Oilers.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
We are 5 points away from the leafs (they have 1 game in hand) and finishing the season in Toronto. Of course there is also Florida in the mix, but if the Habs continue to win, Kovalchuk won't go anywhere

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
WOW, every time Kovy scores the price just keeps going up. yes he is 36 but he can still skate well and you just can't stop those hands. Yes of course no 5 year contract but for 2 years at maybe 4mil he can really help the scoring of any team. Just what a cup contender need going into the playoffs. But it's going to cost a 2nd and not anything less.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
We are 5 points away from the leafs (they have 1 game in hand) and finishing the season in Toronto. Of course there is also Florida in the mix, but if the Habs continue to win, Kovalchuk won't go anywhere
I know 5 points doesnt sound like much but it's a mile away at this point. My team is in the mix and I dont feel good about it. The Habs would have to outplay 3 teams in front of them to make the playoffs. It's not as simple as just "continuing to win".

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I know 5 points doesnt sound like much but it's a mile away at this point. My team is in the mix and I dont feel good about it. The Habs would have to outplay 3 teams in front of them to make the playoffs. It's not as simple as just "continuing to win".
I don't think Habs will make playoffs but probably keep Kovalchuk. He has been a good fit here. Only way I would trade him is over overpayment. A 2nd won't do.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Our best chance to make the playoffs is for the 3rd in Atlantic. Wild card spots are so jammed up right now with so many Metro teams (WASH, PIT, COL are the top 3 seeds) and then you have to think 2 of NYI, PHI or CAR will play really well down the stretch. FLA has been floundering a bit and so I think if we do keep winning we can pass them but it might come down to Toronto

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If the Canadians could get a 2nd for Kovulchuk they should take it and run. That is insanely good asset management by Bergervin.

Keep him finish 17-20, pick someone who may help in the future, who may not, re-sign him and hope that Kovulchuk (at 37) is a "Radulov" and not a "Semin". I know which one I do as a GM. :dunno:

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec

Hmm yes it is. Wins get you points, points get you up in the standings. Habs did not outplay the Leafs yesterday and still gor the win.

Reactions: Braun

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Our best chance to make the playoffs is for the 3rd in Atlantic. Wild card spots are so jammed up right now with so many Metro teams (WASH, PIT, COL are the top 3 seeds) and then you have to think 2 of NYI, PHI or CAR will play really well down the stretch. FLA has been floundering a bit and so I think if we do keep winning we can pass them but it might come down to Toronto

COL = Colorado
CBJ = Columbus

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
If the Canadians could get a 2nd for Kovulchuk they should take it and run. That is insanely good asset management by Bergervin.

Keep him finish 17-20, pick someone who may help in the future, who may not, re-sign him and hope that Kovulchuk (at 37) is a "Radulov" and not a "Semin". I know which one I do as a GM. :dunno:

For a 2nd at this point I think we'd keep him, unless they go on a losing streak AND his agent clearly indicates that he'll test the market. Otherwise I'd like to keep him for a year or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad