Pre-Game Talk: End vs van: It may happen, but not anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Regardless of what we state here we all know the NHL priority will be having all the games occur, so that can be aired, and have the viewership and advertising and rights revenues.

The NHL doesn't want to lose any of the revenue that comes from these games occurring. THAT being their sole priority.
I read the league didn't even strong arm the team into this either though.

They rescheduled the games and the Canucks didn't say anything, and now like a few days before they are saying they aren't ready.

It's a dumb complicated situation. Worst breakout in the league, healthy players who didn't have Covid are now worried they aren't ready and want more time.

Players get sick, or miss games with injuries all the time and come back and play. If they really just need more time then they should postpone one game at worst.

The longer they hold off the worst they make this on themselves, they already have a jam packed schedule, just half ass it or forfeit the game.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
How does that work though? Do all those points in the standings just get voided? I don't know how you do that fairly.
The plan was always to use winning percentage if need be, that's how. Oilers lose 10 points worth of games, well they still won at a better percentage then Montreal or Calgary, they're higher in the standings.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Nuge isn't playing this weekend and won't make the trip. I feel like it's largely precautions, but when should we get concerned. He's not the most loved player by some, but he's very good and his absence will be felt.

Reactions: oilers'72

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Theres no way the NHL would do this and no way they should. Those games and results already occurred, and those points are already in the standings. Teams play according to where they are in the standings. For instance last night Flames are jacked in the game against the Habs and the Habs are playing the game entirely as if they have margin to lose. They were not dialed in.

After the fact changing of already had results is really incomprehensible. No way the NHLPA would agree to something like that, or the NHL. Montreal matters more than Calgary, there is no way they will go with that decision or even should.

Now heres another thing. If this occurred as a precedent, and then next week the whole Senators team contracted Covid, do we take all those pts away too, take away 18 Oilers pts in that game. I phrase that because there is no way anybody here would be in agreeance with that, and it renders all those actual results moot. If the NHL does something this stupid its time to find some different entertainment.

Games played are games played and should be respected as such. Those are actual results. Removing those from the record alters the meaning of any contested games. Its a move that renders actual game results meaningless. Not a good precedent for sporting competition. If game results can simply be altered, on decision, after the fact, this erases competitive endeavor and replaces with bureaucrat decision.

In short if the NHL had so much contempt for GP as to render them as null events due to later decision, then what reason is there for fans to even follow a league that would do that? That would be a league rigging its own results. But wait, the NHL did that last season too in changing playin playoff format after the fact..
If they want to nullify the remaining games against the Canucks they simply go to point % which literally changes nothing right now.

It doesn't change games remaining..without Vancouver...

Toronto: 9
Winnipeg: 11
Edmonton: 9
Montreal: 16
Calgary: 9
Ottawa: 8

So Montreal has a big advantage to make up ground.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
How does that work though? Do all those points in the standings just get voided? I don't know how you do that fairly.
Points percentage, standings today literally wouldn't change.

Only thing it really hurts is personal stats as it takes 5 games away from the Oilers.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If they want to nullify the remaining games against the Canucks they simply go to point % which literally changes nothing right now.

It doesn't change games remaining..without Vancouver...

Toronto: 9
Winnipeg: 11
Edmonton: 9
Montreal: 16
Calgary: 9
Ottawa: 8

So Montreal has a big advantage to make up ground.
It's only an advantage if they win.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's only an advantage if they win.
Very true.

Right now the standings don't move no matter how you sort them really.

Points no change, p% no change, goal differential no diff, row Calgary jumps up a spot, RW wins Calgary jumps above Montreal and Edmonton slides to first.

Based on all ways the league has sorted rankings before, pts/pts%/GD the standings stay the same.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So judging from the team comments yesterday looks like Nuge is on concussion protocol. He's going for daily skates and being assessed by doctors. Looks like he got a concussion or burner. Not his first one. Players are more susceptible to concussion the more they have had them. Wonder if this also needs to be considered in evaluating what his worth is in next contract. My own thinking is this is a half in player that is already somewhat disengaged and trying to play safe out there. Not sure whats gained in paying big money for that. Probably time to move on. Nuge wasn't value in the present contract and sure won't be in the next one. Recurring concussions add to a level of concern with this player, who already avoids contact.
Crosby had a couple concussion issues about 10 years ago. He seemed to come out of it okay.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
From March 21st to April 18th the Canucks are guaranteed to have played more home games than the Oilers even if they postpone this weekend's games again

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Did a similar situation happen with the Devils? They returned had like 2 practices and then played games? This seems like Nucks gave the ok to start Friday but now back peddling saying oh we're not ready yet.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I feel terrible for the Canucks.

Like the McDavid situation Saturday, the Canuck players are damned if they do & damned if they don't say something.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Tippett needs to stop being a stubborn jerk off and try some actual different line combinations. Putting McDavid and Draisaitl on one line with RNH out is brain dead coaching.

Turris McDavid Puljujarvi
Kassian Draisaitl Yamamoto

At least.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Tippett needs to stop being a stubborn jerk off and try some actual different line combinations. Putting McDavid and Draisaitl on one line with RNH out is brain dead coaching.

At least.

Tippett is brain dead though, this shouldn't be surprising.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006

At least.

When I see Turris on the first line
tenor.gif

Reactions: GOilers88

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Did a similar situation happen with the Devils? They returned had like 2 practices and then played games? This seems like Nucks gave the ok to start Friday but now back peddling saying oh we're not ready yet.

I think the biggest issue they have is having 2 games in 22 hours after the whole team was actually sick.

From what I understand about the other outbreaks, the players were all asymptomatic or had very mild symptoms not requiring medical intervention while many Canucks players needed medical attention & were very sick.

King K Rool

Big Bad
Mar 5, 2020
Edmonton
This is a really bad situation but I guess the reality is it could have happened to any team and the NHL would have reacted the same. Sucks for Van fans that their team had to be the one this happened to and I truly do have compassion on them,

Having said that, the Oilers have to play them 5 more times and I wonder if the Canucks will be so bad that the Oilers win every game convincingly with McDrai piling up G's and A's like nobody's business.

Like I seriously doubt VAN will be bad enough to be letting in 10+ goals per game, but how bad do you expect them to be? Will they surprise by being competitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad