News Article: End of Season Press Conference

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
He didn't misunderstand it he dodged the question about goaltending and other things he learned a couple times. He's being evasive instead of taking responsibility for some of the dumbest goalie usage I've ever seen in the playoffs in my life.

Its absolutely asinine. He'd already pulled Skinner in playoffs 3X, one of these times saved the LA series in the critical game 4 come from behind W. He refuses to start Campbell in any of the 12 games. Theres a lot of pressure to start Campbell and apparently talk about it, refuses to as he's listening from reports to advice from Dustin Schwartz to keep starting Skinner. Then in elimination game, which Campbell should surely have started he AGAIN pulls Skinner and puts Campbell in third period. The WTF at that point going off the rails.

In the playoff elimination game not only was the grave mistake to start Skinner made its even in action acknowledged by again pulling Skinner but this time too late against a better defending club. One gets the impression that the playoffs could have lasted 20something games and that there would be outright refusal to start Skinner. Despite him being better everytime he got in the cage.

Where is this report? I'm asking for a friend. ;)

He was said to be gone at TDL. There were reports it was a done deal. Got my hopes up. ABsolutely moving yams for basically anything would have been ok with me. The cap is worth more than the player plus then we have more room to insert a prospect like Holloway.

Yamamoto is a bust in playoffs every time. Its so damned obvious. He has 3G in 34GP in playoffs and he's -16. He was -7 in this playoffs alone. In final series he was on ice for 2GF 7GA. He's being bent over bad. Get rid of him.
It was pretty similar last year. Smith was playing really badly and whenever Koskinen had a chance he was playing his very best hockey. It was clear Koskinen was a hot goalie, at least to his and Smith's standards and on the other hand it was clear Smith had a long stretch when he was leaking. Fans were certain Koskinen would get to start after his good performance, but Woodcroft kept Smith till the bitter end.

This seems to be the way Woodcroft works and so far it's IMO cost two missed chances to win a bit more games at the crucial moments.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It was pretty similar last year. Smith was playing really badly and whenever Koskinen had a chance he was playing his very best hockey. It was clear Koskinen was a hot goalie, at least to his and Smith's standards and on the other hand it was clear Smith had a long stretch when he was leaking. Fans were certain Koskinen would get to start after his good performance, but Woodcroft kept Smith till the bitter end.

This seems to be the way Woodcroft works and so far it's IMO cost two missed chances to win a bit more games at the crucial moments.
Yep. Several posters mentioned this citing last years goalie usage as well. Woody has no idea how to utilize goalies, and particularly in playoffs that can be death as opponents solve one goalie repeatedly.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Oilers are an immature hockey team plain and simple. They won't win the cup until they grow up.

That's how i'd describe them in the simplest form.
exhibit A for this is Nurse after the fight he wasn't supposed to have (was told not to engage) going into the tunnel strutting like a peacock. What did you really win Darnell? A one game suspension.

Play stupid games win dumb prizes. Ironically Kane was shooting his mouth off earlier in series about sometimes getting it. I think these two rarely do.

Starting to get over these two. I've supported both of them lots but I'm not convinced all their influence is positive.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
exhibit A for this is Nurse after the fight he wasn't supposed to have (was told not to engage) going into the tunnel strutting like a peacock. What did you really win Darnell? A one game suspension.

Play stupid games win dumb prizes. Ironically Kane was shooting his mouth off earlier in series about sometimes getting it. I think these two rarely do.

Starting to get over these two. I've supported both of them lots but I'm not convinced all their influence is positive.

It just feels like if something stupid is going to happen in a hockey game (like an egregious defensive breakdown, an epic defensive collapse of like 2-3 GA in under 2 minutes, a goalie's stick broken gifting the other team a tie game, a goalie allowing a goal from the other end of the ice, a dumb penalty taken, a bad line change in OT, etc. etc.) it just feels like 8 out of 10 times ... it's going to be us doing the stupid thing and the other team is maybe 2/10 times.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Cup or Bust
That is a clear line in the sand for the careers of the GM and Coach.
Seems like Holland is already positioned for that ( plans for a new GM in ‘24). Woodcroft? Four months to learn about defensive games…can he do it?

Reactions: Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Cup or Bust
That is a clear line in the sand for the careers of the GM and Coach.
Seems like Holland is already positioned for that ( plans for a new GM in ‘24). Woodcroft? Four months to learn about defensive games…can he do it?

Talk is cheap, they can say that, is Holland willing to make the big moves, is Woodcroft willing to change things about his systems play and hold players accountable (other than like just picking on Holloway and Kostin only) because defensively it's not even close to good enough right now.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
It just feels like if something stupid is going to happen in a hockey game (like an egregious defensive breakdown, an epic defensive collapse of like 2-3 GA in under 2 minutes, a goalie's stick broken gifting the other team a tie game, a goalie allowing a goal from the other end of the ice, a dumb penalty taken, a bad line change in OT, etc. etc.) it just feels like 8 out of 10 times ... it's going to be us doing the stupid thing and the other team is maybe 2/10 times.

I agree that's exactly what you get when you're an immature hockey team. They're not as a group able to handle the emotions of the game. We saw this throughout the season and into the playoffs.

1. They started the season with 10 good, 10 bad, 10 good, 10 bad. That's the first sign. When they're all good and happy they win. When things turned a bit, it took a real sense of missing the playoffs to get them out of it constantly through the first half.
2. The second half I feel they decided.. ok let's really try and put it all together. But still there were games that exposed their emotional immaturity. Losing to Columbus is a great example. down 4-0 they get guilty and storm back. But then immediately allow 2 more garbage goals to take themselves out.
3. They've lost the first game of every playoff series since forever. It's not just random chance. And most of the time they are awful.. like completely awful in the first game of a series. This years game 1 vs L.A was the exception. Game 1 vs Vegas was the norm.
4. They don't do well in overtime. They can come back well enough. But when the pressure reaches a certain level their immaturity comes to the fore front. Stupid penalty, blown coverage, defensive cycling circus. They haven't shown the ability to raise their game in high pressure moments. In fact their game tends to fall apart on them.

This is a great hockey team imo. Good enough to beat anyone in this league. They're just their own worst enemy.

there were some playoff no shows this year for sure. That hurts. Watching one of my favorite players in RNH completely ghost the playoffs was a kick in the junk. I was so happy for him and his regular season. It was hard watching Mark Stone go warrior mode with that back and take Kane, Hyman, and RNH to the woodshed in terms of impact on the series. That hurt.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yep. Several posters mentioned this citing last years goalie usage as well. Woody has no idea how to utilize goalies, and particularly in playoffs that can be death as opponents solve one goalie repeatedly.
I have a bit of a hot take here.
I remember Tippett for sure saying it and I think Woodcroft as well.
They leave goaltending decisions to Dustin Schwartz. He seems to decide who starts, who is ready etc. In game decisions definitely seem like Woodcrofts.
Now...yeah, not a fan of giving Schwartz that decision at all and that should be corrected but seems like a trend for coaches here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
About the goalie choices.. are we sure that’s a Woodcroft decision and not ole Dusty?

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I've never heard of the goaltending coach deciding which starter goes in for the playoffs. Like what the f*** ass backwards system is that? Own you mistake here Woodcroft.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I agree that's exactly what you get when you're an immature hockey team. They're not as a group able to handle the emotions of the game. We saw this throughout the season and into the playoffs.

1. They started the season with 10 good, 10 bad, 10 good, 10 bad. That's the first sign. When they're all good and happy they win. When things turned a bit, it took a real sense of missing the playoffs to get them out of it constantly through the first half.
2. The second half I feel they decided.. ok let's really try and put it all together. But still there were games that exposed their emotional immaturity. Losing to Columbus is a great example. down 4-0 they get guilty and storm back. But then immediately allow 2 more garbage goals to take themselves out.
3. They've lost the first game of every playoff series since forever. It's not just random chance. And most of the time they are awful.. like completely awful in the first game of a series. This years game 1 vs L.A was the exception. Game 1 vs Vegas was the norm.
4. They don't do well in overtime. They can come back well enough. But when the pressure reaches a certain level their immaturity comes to the fore front. Stupid penalty, blown coverage, defensive cycling circus. They haven't shown the ability to raise their game in high pressure moments. In fact their game tends to fall apart on them.

This is a great hockey team imo. Good enough to beat anyone in this league. They're just their own worst enemy.

there were some playoff no shows this year for sure. That hurts. Watching one of my favorite players in RNH completely ghost the playoffs was a kick in the junk. I was so happy for him and his regular season. It was hard watching Mark Stone go warrior mode with that back and take Kane, Hyman, and RNH to the woodshed in terms of impact on the series. That hurt.

Very good post that summarizes the mental issues with this team nicely. Only thing I'd add is the terrible starts to games are a symptom of this too. When this happens there have been times where I honest to god am happy that we go on the PK so that the pace of the game changes and they get a taste of simplified "just ice it" hockey for 2 mins so we can reset and maybe get some feel in our game established.

As a group they're like an abused animal where they have to be gently encouraged to come out of their shell and be told it's all ok. I have no idea how one would overcome this outside of a group psychologist because it is 100% mental and 0% anything else.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
About the goalie choices.. are we sure that’s a Woodcroft decision and not ole Dusty?
Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I've never heard of the goaltending coach deciding which starter goes in for the playoffs. Like what the f*** ass backwards system is that? Own you mistake here Woodcroft.
This is a major cope...

And if Woodcroft did owe up to the failings that are him nobody should give him a pass for his shortcomings.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
During the pre-game show for game 6 of the Oilers/Vegas series the HNIC crew showed a clip of Jim Montgomery being asked by the press why he started Swayman in net instead of Ullmark. Montgomery took no responsibility for the decision, instead throwing Bruins goalie coach Bob Essensa under the bus claiming it was all him. Montgomery looked like a dick in the clip but Hrudey said head coaches have little contact with goalies on a day to day basis. He said all that coaching is done by the goaltending coach and the goaltending coach is the liaison between the goalies and the head coach. They make the recommendations to the head coach on who should be playing. They went straight from that clip to showing Skinner warming up in net prior to the start of the game insinuating Schwartz was making that call on the Oilers too. According to Hrudey, this is how the league operates and isn’t necessarily just an Oilers thing. One of those things that probably isn’t well known but it does highlight how important it is to have a competent goalie coach and makes you wonder even more how Schwartz has hung on to his job so long when he hasn’t had success with any goalie since he was hired in 2014.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I’ve heard that how’s Woody does it, it might be common but it’s not something that gets talked about at length from what I’ve seen.

It makes sense though, problem is Dusty is a terrible goalie coach based on his track record and undying love and loyalty to Skinner. But like a good goalie coach that understands how to handle their goalies should be the best person to make that decision.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Is that Woody or Schwartz though? The goalie coach is supposed to have the best handle on these things.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Talk is cheap, they can say that, is Holland willing to make the big moves, is Woodcroft willing to change things about his systems play and hold players accountable (other than like just picking on Holloway and Kostin only) because defensively it's not even close to good enough right now.
Holland showed with the Ekholm trade that he can make a big trade. The next question though is he ready to deal the likes of Broberg and other picks to finish this roster?

Reactions: Vagabond

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
During the pre-game show for game 6 of the Oilers/Vegas series the HNIC crew showed a clip of Jim Montgomery being asked by the press why he started Swayman in net instead of Ullmark. Montgomery took no responsibility for the decision, instead throwing Bruins goalie coach Bob Essensa under the bus claiming it was all him. Montgomery looked like a dick in the clip but Hrudey said head coaches have little contact with goalies on a day to day basis. He said all that coaching is done by the goaltending coach and the goaltending coach is the liaison between the goalies and the head coach. They make the recommendations to the head coach on who should be playing. They went straight from that clip to showing Skinner warming up in net prior to the start of the game insinuating Schwartz was making that call on the Oilers too. According to Hrudey, this is how the league operates and isn’t necessarily just an Oilers thing. One of those things that probably isn’t well known but it does highlight how important it is to have a competent goalie coach and makes you wonder even more how Schwartz has hung on to his job so long when he hasn’t had success with any goalie since he was hired in 2014.
How in the f*** is he still employed. Schwartz is like a gelatinous blob that just absorbs every shot fired at him.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Saw this posted in the comments of a Tichowsky article on the Journal about the lack of defensive playof throughout the lineup, particularly in the Vegas series. I feel it pretty much hit the nail on the head regarding the star players / top 6:

Every great player, without exception, has to arrive at the understanding that every player on the ice is both a forward and a defenceman; if you have the puck you're a forward, if you don't you're a defenseman. Year after year after year far too many of the Oiler's forwards don't become defencemen, they're just forwards waiting for a pass. Essentially, when a team has that attitude they're playing nearly half the game at a 5-2 disadvantage. Vegas gets it, Dallas gets it...hell, even Florida, who won the President's trophy last year playing pond hockey, get it.

It's long past the time where Draisaitl, Nuge Kane and others should have 'gotten it' too.

That mentality of each forward has to be a defenseman when they don’t have the puck needs to be drilled in. Hopefully this is the last wake-up call for them to get that “all in” mentality. The right side wings and D need to be upgraded but otherwise the roster is good enough to win it all. Saying the team didn’t have enough depth is a cop out and absolves them of playing a better all around game. Even the “fire wagon” brand the Avs played was much more defensively sound than this group

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I’ve heard that how’s Woody does it, it might be common but it’s not something that gets talked about at length from what I’ve seen.

It makes sense though, problem is Dusty is a terrible goalie coach based on his track record and undying love and loyalty to Skinner. But like a good goalie coach that understands how to handle their goalies should be the best person to make that decision.
That would also explain why the Oilers went with the goalie that was clearly worse during the previous year. Maybe Schwarz was good friends with Smith and Smith assured after his bad games that he'll certainly be great in the next game. Just speculation but it's maybe the best explanation to why this has happened twice in two years.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
If that's true, Schwartz bears a major portion of the blame for our exit. For not only recommending Skinner to continually start but also for Skinner's regression from the regular season. Schwartz needed to have gone yesterday.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Koskinen always seemed to play good against Colorado as well. It's like they wouldn't play him because they already knew he was going to Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad