News Article: End of Season Press Conference

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
During the pre-game show for game 6 of the Oilers/Vegas series the HNIC crew showed a clip of Jim Montgomery being asked by the press why he started Swayman in net instead of Ullmark. Montgomery took no responsibility for the decision, instead throwing Bruins goalie coach Bob Essensa under the bus claiming it was all him. Montgomery looked like a dick in the clip but Hrudey said head coaches have little contact with goalies on a day to day basis. He said all that coaching is done by the goaltending coach and the goaltending coach is the liaison between the goalies and the head coach. They make the recommendations to the head coach on who should be playing. They went straight from that clip to showing Skinner warming up in net prior to the start of the game insinuating Schwartz was making that call on the Oilers too. According to Hrudey, this is how the league operates and isn’t necessarily just an Oilers thing. One of those things that probably isn’t well known but it does highlight how important it is to have a competent goalie coach and makes you wonder even more how Schwartz has hung on to his job so long when he hasn’t had success with any goalie since he was hired in 2014.
Yeah its the same segment I saw. Unfortunately two of the panel were Hrudey and Eakins so I wasn't sure to believe it all but its the commentary that occurred.

In anycase it still falls on a goalie to make final decisions in respect to players and they have that authority. It also makes sense when everybody and their dog know that Dustin Schwartz is a fraud as a goalie coach in 2023 and has been for a decade or more.

Seriously, who would take advice from Dustin Schwartz? If there was a fire poll on him it would be the easiest vote an awhile.

Is that Woody or Schwartz though? The goalie coach is supposed to have the best handle on these things.
For the last 100yrs coaches have decided which goalie starts. Its one of the most important considerations in playoff hockey. Lately theres been some head coaches evading criticism by driving the bus over the goalie coach, notably in Boston. But its always been up to the head coach to make these lineup decisions. Eakins did state when he was here he would listen to Dustin but Eakins would listen to aliens telling him to catch a ride on a comet.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Woodcroft has shown his tendency with goaltenders right from the start of his tenure. He pretty quickly sent down Skinner and locked into veteran pair Smith and Koskinen. Locked into Smith for the stretch drive playoff push. Then locked into Smith in a traditional one tender playoff push to Western Conference Championship. This year locked into Skinner after he carried the stretch run, his playoff starter, and ultimately bet wrongly on a turnaround game 6 then compounded the issue by waiting too late to pull him.

Regarding Schwartz, he's developed two young NHL starting goaltenders for years through their formative stages, Skinner and Hart. So he has some success with raw putty. Skinner's onboarded as an NHL starting goalie out of necessity and earned a Calder short-list for it. It's fair to say that mature, established tenders haven't improved their games here albeit often erratic team defending in front of them doesn't help. Fully formed re-treaded old NHL and KHLers have not improved here.

I don't know how Schwartz figures into pre-scout and other coaching strategic work.

Now where I would see a more likely fireable offence is leading the free agent goaltender search to backstop this team's Cup window era. Landing on Campbell who had to be completely re-built this season in all facets, mental resiliency; technique and fundamentals; and equipment placed the team in mortal jeopardy which would have been disastrous had Skinner (Schwartz protege) not stepped up.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Koskinen always seemed to play good against Colorado as well. It's like they wouldn't play him because they already knew he was going to Europe.
It seems like that, but one would think they're professionals and want to have the best and hottest players on the ice. Another theory that came to mind was that Smith had agreed to retire if he gets to start the games. The Oilers knew the guy was breaking in pieces and thus probably hoped he'd retire voluntarily which he did.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Saw this posted in the comments of a Tichowsky article on the Journal about the lack of defensive playof throughout the lineup, particularly in the Vegas series. I feel it pretty much hit the nail on the head regarding the star players / top 6:

That mentality of each forward has to be a defenseman when they don’t have the puck needs to be drilled in. Hopefully this is the last wake-up call for them to get that “all in” mentality. The right side wings and D need to be upgraded but otherwise the roster is good enough to win it all. Saying the team didn’t have enough depth is a cop out and absolves them of playing a better all around game. Even the “fire wagon” brand the Avs played was much more defensively sound than this group
I thought they had finally figured this out the last month of the regular season. Goals against was down and it really looked like they had stopped cheating for offence. Once the playoffs started and all the top six wingers vanished (not even sure what the right word is to describe what happened to those wingers) it looked like McDrai decided everything was going to need to happen through them and they started going off the rails. Not trying to absolve them or anything because you’re right but more to highlight how awful those wingers were in both series.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah its the same segment I saw. Unfortunately two of the panel were Hrudey and Eakins so I wasn't sure to believe it all but its the commentary that occurred.

In anycase it still falls on a goalie to make final decisions in respect to players and they have that authority. It also makes sense when everybody and their dog know that Dustin Schwartz is a fraud as a goalie coach in 2023 and has been for a decade or more.

Seriously, who would take advice from Dustin Schwartz? If there was a fire poll on him it would be the easiest vote an awhile.

For the last 100yrs coaches have decided which goalie starts. Its one of the most important considerations in playoff hockey. Lately theres been some head coaches evading criticism by driving the bus over the goalie coach, notably in Boston. But its always been up to the head coach to make these lineup decisions. Eakins did state when he was here he would listen to Dustin but Eakins would listen to aliens telling him to catch a ride on a comet.
I was curious how long Schwartz had been here because it seemed like forever. He was hired Nov 24, 2014. Dallas Eakins was fired Dec 15, 2014. Not sure how many opportunities Dallas actually had to listen to Dustin but Dallas was famous for searching out bizarre opportunities to learn. Iirc, that was the year he spent a week at the Cowboys training camp because he was convinced there was valuable information for him there.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Woodcroft has shown his tendency with goaltenders right from the start of his tenure. He pretty quickly sent down Skinner and locked into veteran pair Smith and Koskinen. Locked into Smith for the stretch drive playoff push. Then locked into Smith in a traditional one tender playoff push to Western Conference Championship. This year locked into Skinner after he carried the stretch run, his playoff starter, and ultimately bet wrongly on a turnaround game 6 then compounded the issue by waiting too late to pull him.

Regarding Schwartz, he's developed two young NHL starting goaltenders for years through their formative stages, Skinner and Hart. So he has some success with raw putty. Skinner's onboarded as an NHL starting goalie out of necessity and earned a Calder short-list for it. It's fair to say that mature, established tenders haven't improved their games here albeit often erratic team defending in front of them doesn't help. Fully formed re-treaded old NHL and KHLers have not improved here.

I don't know how Schwartz figures into pre-scout and other coaching strategic work.

Now where I would see a more likely fireable offence is leading the free agent goaltender search to backstop this team's Cup window era. Landing on Campbell who had to be completely re-built this season in all facets, mental resiliency; technique and fundamentals; and equipment placed the team in mortal jeopardy which would have been disastrous had Skinner (Schwartz protege) not stepped up.

I agree on Woodcroft. I keep wondering what would have been if he, like Florida, switched tenders when their starter struggled. If Paul Maurice was like Woodcroft, Florida wouldn’t have made it past Boston.

Schwartz and Carter Hart. Hart has been brutal. He has the same weaknesses as all the Schwartz developed goalies do. Bad glove hand, bad angles, plays too deep. He is such a bad goalie coach.

I said, when they signed Campbell, they need a new goalie coach or Campbell will fail. Sadly, that’s what we are seeing

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
It seems every season lately (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023) ends with the same problem for the team. In a word:

DEFENCE

The Oilers in 2023 had considerably better depth than in 2020 (Chicago play-in choke) and 2021 (outplayed Jets but got swept), and probably better than 2022 as well. But still the defense (positionally, and goaltending results) failed them.

It's predictable and understandable that scoring will go down in the playoffs, and that maybe only one line will produce at normal amounts. The Oilers have the offensive depth to get over this problem. Even if Hyman and Kane and Nuge only occasionally score in the playoffs, we know the Big Two will light it up and that the PP will come through often. So, there is no real problem offensively.

But there is always a playoff problem defensively.

And by the way, game 1's are the club's Achilles' Heel, as you all know. Here's the sad tale of the tape since 2020 in game 1's:

2020 game 1
6 goals against (in 37 minutes' playing time)
.783 Smith
.947 Koskinen
2021 game 1
2 goals against (in 39 minutes, plus 2 empty netters)
.900 Smith
2022 game 1A
4 goals against
.886 Smith
2022 game 1B
8 goals against (in 48 minutes, plus an empty netter)
.700 Smith
.865 Koskinen
2022 game 1C
7 goals against (in 36 minutes, plus an empty netter)
.760 Smith
.952 Koskinen
2023 game 1A
4 goals against (in 69 minutes)
.886 Skinner
2023 game 1B
5 goals against (in 43 minutes)
.848 Skinner

Yeesh! Not surprisingly, the Oilers are 0-7 in these seven game-one's.

It's like the leadership group cannot motivate anyone to focus on defence to start a series. I don't get it.

Oilers is forward heavy. And McDavid and Draisaitl is players that like playerd that thinks and play the game as quick
So there even more offensive play
ers takes more cap. And after all rule changes, its harder to attack and finnish checks or cover a man. Everything is a charging or boarding nowadays.

Amd Nurse is suspect. I wonder if Broberg, wrong side could be an answer. And a real big shutdown pair of Kulak amd Ceci. Then you dont need to trade for a D. But look with Vegas if they are up to a trade.

Still up for an extra Righty center. And try McDavid at wing. A lot of centers give great options. Wings nearly isnt neccesary in the game today.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I agree on Woodcroft. I keep wondering what would have been if he, like Florida, switched tenders when their starter struggled. If Paul Maurice was like Woodcroft, Florida wouldn’t have made it past Boston.

Schwartz and Carter Hart. Hart has been brutal. He has the same weaknesses as all the Schwartz developed goalies do. Bad glove hand, bad angles, plays too deep. He is such a bad goalie coach.

I said, when they signed Campbell, they need a new goalie coach or Campbell will fail. Sadly, that’s what we are seeing
For a new age, young head coach, Woodcroft has been very traditional in his goaltender usage. Pick 'your guy' and run him hard in the playoffs.

Hart became a starting NHL well ahead of schedule. He's struggled as team in front of him have been wildly erratic in terms of quality and results. Still this season he managed to be the Flyer's MVP and winner of three team awards. Skinner saved the Oilers season when the $25 million new guy had to be dry docked for an extended period to try to completely rebuild his game. Nets him a Calder Trophy short list for the heavy lifting required to skip onboarding and establishing as an NHL backup instead passing Go and going directly to NHL starting goaltender:

Despite Woodcroft's media talk about he, management, and team all having faith in both goaltenders, his actions betrayed a singular belief in the rookie Calder nominee. Unfortunately that bit hard in game 6 versus Vegas which compounded by not pulling Skinner earlier when the bounce back game clearly wasn't there. Once Vegas got the 4th goal, this game was cooked.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
For a new age, young head coach, Woodcroft has been very traditional in his goaltender usage. Pick 'your guy' and run him hard in the playoffs.

Hart became a starting NHL well ahead of schedule. He's struggled as team in front of him have been wildly erratic in terms of quality and results. Still this season he managed to be the Flyer's MVP and winner of three team awards. Skinner saved the Oilers season when the $25 million new guy had to be dry docked for an extended period to try to completely rebuild his game. Nets him a Calder Trophy short list for the heavy lifting required to skip onboarding and establishing as an NHL backup instead passing Go and going directly to NHL starting goaltender:

Despite Woodcroft's media talk about he, management, and team all having faith in both goaltenders, his actions betrayed a singular belief in the rookie Calder nominee. Unfortunately that bit hard in game 6 versus Vegas which compounded by not pulling Skinner earlier when the bounce back game clearly wasn't there. Once Vegas got the 4th goal, this game was cooked.

I was catching up on my Oilers podcasts. Listening to Stauffer, he mentioned Mike McKenna, a former goalie, saying Skinners hands are too locked into his body and needs to free them. I found that extremely interesting because before Mike Smith had his crazy good season in Edmonton, he got outside coaching. What that coach worked on was freeing up Smith’s hands. That coach said Smith had quick hands, but they were glued to his sides- so they worked in hand positioning and freeing them up.

This is a Dusty Schwartz thing

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I was catching up on my Oilers podcasts. Listening to Stauffer, he mentioned Mike McKenna, a former goalie, saying Skinners hands are too locked into his body and needs to free them. I found that extremely interesting because before Mike Smith had his crazy good season in Edmonton, he got outside coaching. What that coach worked on was freeing up Smith’s hands. That coach said Smith had quick hands, but they were glued to his sides- so they worked in hand positioning and freeing them up.

This is a Dusty Schwartz thing
Smith worked with his outside goalie coach for all of his career. It wasn't a new thing. He added additional coaching support to help additional elements of his game focusing on biomechanics, the physiology, balance and puck tracking. Full credit to a near 40 year old goaltender to dig deeper into new training and innovation to further extend a long career.

Point remains, Schwartz has had success in the development and coaching of two young starting NHL goaltenders, Hart and Skinner. Old, established veteran goaltenders haven't moved the needle in their games. Campbell completely imploding mentally, technique, and needing equipment upgrade is well beyond a goaltender coach issue. Skinner stepped up and quite possibly saved this critical season. Imagine if the Schwartz mentored, trained, and coached neophyte NHL tender not stepped up to stabilize this team's goaltending coming off a breakthrough Conference Final run...

Mixed bag. Now firing him for directing the cap threshold team to invest $25 million/5 years for Campbell? I think there's reasonable grounds there.

Can Campbell rebound year 2. We'll find out and might. No choice. It's an immovable contract.

Reactions: guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad