GDT: End of Season Address + Locker Clean Out (Dubas says he can't guarantee Babcock back next season)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
is babcock fired yet?
is marleau/brown/nylander/kadri traded yet?

did we get players with "heart" that know how to play hockey and are not pansies or plugs yet?

is the cap hell still on?

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
The worst feeling here for me:

I won't listen to Overdrive's take on this game until Thursday on podcast :(

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So, end of playoffs player ratings. I'll keep it short. Will likely take a hiatus from the boards over the summer after this. Grades are more about satisfaction with their performance than purely how good they were. Here goes:

Matthews - ***** | Looked like a franchise player this series. Very happy with his performance.
Johnsson - **** | Quietly was effective both even strength and on the PP. He performed really well for us.
Kapanen - ** | Kapanen showcased all the flaws in his game this series. Used speed to create room, negated it with bad shots. His tunnel vision robbed Matthews of some of his best chances.
Tavares - *** | All in all, we needed more from our new star center. Good job against the Bergeron line, but at the end they were on the losing side at ES and didn't get it done on the PP.
Hyman - ** | Wasn't quite the normal Hyman. Good pest, but couldn't bring his board game to full life.
Marner - *** | Gonna take heat here, but I think Marner reached 12 GA in this series. Part of an awful PK, his line had a bad differential, and in the end we needed more from our superstar.
Nylander - *** | Gonna take heat here, but I think Nylander's series was the definition of decent. Did what you could expect given his usage, no more and no less.
Marleau - * | Could be the worst PP player I've seen in years. Komarov was better. For a few games, every play he made on the PP killed the attack. He gave us nothing.
Brown - ** | Brown looks like Gauthier with the puck. Actually, he looks worse. PK work solidifies his rating.
Gauthier - ** | He was 6'5" somewhere.
Ennis - **** | Ennis came in and energized our fourth line. I really liked him.
Moore - **** | Moore was honestly one of our best forwards at times, combining the energy, skating, and technical ability to not only create havoc but actually do something with it.

Rielly - ***** | Consistently pushed pace and offense for us. His breakouts was a strong point for us, and it felt like he was a difference maker most nights.
Hainsey - *** | I was so impressed with Hainsey through four games. I was less enthused about the next two. And then he had a rough Game 7.
Muzzin - *** | Muzzin did a lot right in difficult minutes, but I can't really give a higher grade to someone who lost his matchup by that much.
Zaitsev - *** | Had an overall strong series. Second fiddle to Muzzin, same issue. They get joint grades here.
Gardiner - * | Was a non-factor through six, due to injuries and few minutes. And then he was one of two players to give away the game in the first. Can't rate him differently.
Dermott - ** | Rough Game 7 for sure, but I liked him through the rest.

Andersen - ** | I was contemplating a higher grade, but the cheap first goal brought it down. Statistically, he underperformed again.

Babcock - * | Bad lines, overly reliant on the wrong players, no adjustments to issues that were evident even early on. Not a lot to like from Babs. We outplayed them, they outcoached us.

A change might be needed, and Babcock is the obvious choice to go. If you compare lines, we held our ground with the first. Second line was good for both. Our third line was better. Don't know about fourth, but they certainly looked better. We were the better team in almost all areas, except special teams. And there were no adjustments, and we ended up with the worst PK performance in history. Blame the players for playing bad, but nobody else can be blamed for a lack of adjustments than the coach. Nobody else can be blamed for having one of our worst offensive forwards get more and more ice time when we are down, while actually talented players take a seat. The second line lacked a playmaker, but instead of playing one there they used Kapanen, who had no chemistry with Matthews. Kaps always work down the lineup, because he use his speed to create his own chances, he doesn't rely on teammates. In fact, he's pretty bad at using them. Yet he was glued to Matthews.

We were the better team in five out of seven games. How the **** did we lose this?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Kadri out, Gardiner out, Zaitsev out, Brown out, Marleau? Babcock?

Someone needs to grill Babs about what the flying f*** was going on with ice time in this game.

Im out for the night.

Reactions: WillNy29

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So, end of playoffs player ratings. I'll keep it short. Will likely take a hiatus from the boards over the summer after this. Grades are more about satisfaction with their performance than purely how good they were. Here goes:

Matthews - ***** | Looked like a franchise player this series. Very happy with his performance.
Johnsson - **** | Quietly was effective both even strength and on the PP. He performed really well for us.
Kapanen - ** | Kapanen showcased all the flaws in his game this series. Used speed to create room, negated it with bad shots. His tunnel vision robbed Matthews of some of his best chances.
Tavares - *** | All in all, we needed more from our new star center. Good job against the Bergeron line, but at the end they were on the losing side at ES and didn't get it done on the PP.
Hyman - ** | Wasn't quite the normal Hyman. Good pest, but couldn't bring his board game to full life.
Marner - *** | Gonna take heat here, but I think Marner reached 12 GA in this series. Part of an awful PK, his line had a bad differential, and in the end we needed more from our superstar.
Nylander - *** | Gonna take heat here, but I think Nylander's series was the definition of decent. Did what you could expect given his usage, no more and no less.
Marleau - * | Could be the worst PP player I've seen in years. Komarov was better. For a few games, every play he made on the PP killed the attack. He gave us nothing.
Brown - ** | Brown looks like Gauthier with the puck. Actually, he looks worse. PK work solidifies his rating.
Moore - **** | Moore was honestly one of our best forwards at times, combining the energy, skating, and technical ability to not only create havoc but actually do something with it.

Rielly - ***** | Consistently pushed pace and offense for us. His breakouts was a strong point for us, and it felt like he was a difference maker most nights.
Hainsey - *** | I was so impressed with Hainsey through four games. I was less enthused about the next two. And then he had a rough Game 7.
Muzzin - *** | Muzzin did a lot right in difficult minutes, but I can't really give a higher grade to someone who lost his matchup by that much.
Zaitsev - *** | Had an overall strong series. Second fiddle to Muzzin, same issue. They get joint grades here.
Gardiner - * | Was a non-factor through six, due to injuries and few minutes. And then he was one of two players to give away the game in the first. Can't rate him differently.

Andersen - ** | I was contemplating a higher grade, but the cheap first goal brought it down. Statistically, he underperformed again.

Babcock - * | Bad lines, overly reliant on the wrong players, no adjustments to issues that were evident even early on. Not a lot to like from Babs. We outplayed them, they outcoached us.

A change might be needed, and Babcock is the obvious choice to go. If you compare lines, we held our ground with the first. Second line was good for both. Our third line was better. Don't know about fourth, but they certainly looked better. We were the better team in almost all areas, except special teams. And there were no adjustments, and we ended up with the worst PK performance in history. Blame the players for playing bad, but nobody else can be blamed for a lack of adjustments than the coach. Nobody else can be blamed for having one of our worst offensive forwards get more and more ice time when we are down, while actually talented players take a seat. The second line lacked a playmaker, but instead of playing one there they used Kapanen, who had no chemistry with Matthews. Kaps always work down the lineup, because he use his speed to create his own chances, he doesn't rely on teammates. In fact, he's pretty bad at using them. Yet he was glued to Matthews.

We were the better team in five out of seven games. How the **** did we lose this?

Excellent summary Nith .. Not that I agree with all the ratings, it's a great write up.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
This summer we will let Gardiner walk.

Trade Kadri and Brown.

Bring up Bracco and Sandin/Liljegren.

Fire Babcock and hire Keefe.

Resign Marner/Kappy/AJ.

Slightly worse team next year.

Reactions: Chungo2

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

That's a great write up.

I thought Muzzin was better than 3/5 though. He was exactly what we needed another of. A right handed version of Muzzin would be the ideal replacement for Gardiner and Zaitsev to be honest.

Kapanen should give up one of his * and donate that to Muzzin in my opinion. He was just so ineffective with Matthews. I've been saying this for quite some time and just can't imagine the reasoning for that pair to always flank Matthews.

I would rather put Hyman on with Matthews and Nylander, Johnsson up with Marner and Tavares (a spot he had some great performances earlier this year), and double shift Matthews and Tavares in the centre ice hole left. Marleau, Brown, Gauthier, Moore, Ennis and Kapanen get tossed out over the boards randomly and sporadically.

As for your question:

Sports are not a fairness contest. Never have been. The Bruins know how to bend the rules just well enough to give themselves an advantage, and they have some fantastic players as well.
Carlo is far better than I expected. DeBrusk is another annoying ratface d-bag. Marchand is the best ratface d-bag in the league who can also apparently put up 100 points!!!! Not to mention Bergeron, and Pastrnak, and Rask, and that giant "See you next Tuesday" Chara.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
is babcock fired yet?
is marleau/brown/nylander/kadri traded yet?

did we get players with "heart" that know how to play hockey and are not pansies or plugs yet?

is the cap hell still on?

They failed my expectations that I stated earlier. This series was one that could be won but coaching mostly wrecked things and so here we are. Show me don't tell me. Our team will have substantially less cap and arguably lose good players. How can we advance? Trades?

My interest level about this team is now down to about a 3/10. Poor management and coaching will do that.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Debating real hard about just ending it.

Hey man,

I hope youre just upset about the game and not serious. Always here to talk if you need it. Feel free to PM me if you are serious and/or just need somebody to talk to.

It is a pretty shitty way to end the season, but it is just a game (hard to tell yourself that right now) and we can just start looking forward to next season with an improved core getting close to the start of their primes. We arent an aging team so we have lots of time still.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
So who do we get injuries from?

Hyman seems a guarantee. Marner is possible. Muzzin might have something.

Maybe even Gardiner is still hurt.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Looking forward to the excuses and hopefully a few shots by Babs about the roster compilation.

Reactions: rumman

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
The Leafs played really well these playoffs. Boston is a very good team. It would be nice to be rewarded for finishing 7th in the league by not having to play the 2nd place team. There is definitely a flaw in the seeding system.

Reactions: CreeksideStrangler

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There was previous speculation Babcock had an opt out after year 4. I believe it was confirmed shortly after he was hired that it was false, but Lebrun confirming that here.

Says Babcock remains committed.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
There was previous speculation Babcock had an opt out after year 4. I believe it was confirmed shortly after he was hired that it was false, but Lebrun confirming that here.

Says Babcock remains committed.

Of course he does, they have a very bright future.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad