End of an era!

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Really wanted to see this team lift the Cup.

****ing depressing

So did I. 2011 was the most fun I've had watching the Canucks since 94. But I think I'm not taking today's loss as hard as a lot of people here because I've been expecting this for a long time now. Given how this team was built I didn't expect we would do anything in these playoffs. Yes, to improve we need to turn the page. Perhaps we don't have to trade EVERYONE (that's not realistic), but in order to have change we need to make some meaningful changes to our roster. The coach has to be gone, and we actually have to make changes to our core players. It may be tough for some to accept, but it's either that or accept more losing hockey.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Happens to a lot of teams that lose the cup. For measure look at the Senators 5 years after the SCF loss. 80 percent of the roster was gone. Expect about the same for your crew within the next 3 years.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think they'll roll into the next season with most of the same old garbage we had this year. Aquilini is going to put an immeasurable amount of pressure on Gillis to make major changes...book it.

That, if he doesn't fire him is.

I would love our snake-oil salesman GM to get canned, but sadly that won't happen until 2014.

Ray Shero*

Yup, the core is either going to be irrelevant or broken up. They had a good run for the last 7 years but it's done now.

Kesler, Sedins, Lou, Burrows, AV. We're gonna miss this core.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Zero cups.

Another era of failure. Sure, they won some regular season stuff, but as a team they are losers same as every other era.

That said, it was wonderful watching Henrik and Daniel win the art ross trophies. Can't take that away from them.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Zero cups.

Another era of failure. Sure, they won some regular season stuff, but as a team they are losers same as every other era.

That said, it was wonderful watching Henrik and Daniel win the art ross trophies. Can't take that away from them.

and 33 playoff wins. It was a fun ride. Still the most exciting run in this little franchise's history.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Reading this thread is kinda depressing it feels like someone died. I'm looking forward to a new era, one without the Sedins, one that can do it in the playoffs, loved the 2011 run but that's all they did where it matters, great regular seasons. As much as I'm hoping for us to off load the twins, Gillis isn't going to do it or anything major, he might fire AV and he'll move Luongo for nothing and call that a big shakeup. Gillis should've done something last year. Gillis needs to make this his team as most of the players here are from Burke/DN

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Hansen

Bieksa Edler

Schneider
Luongo

AV

So the top 6 is not from Gillis one of the top pairs is Gillis outside that its just depth guys he brought in. What would be funny is if Gillis got fired and Burke was brought back lol tbh I have more faith in Burke than Gillis.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Twas good while ti lasted. :cry::cry: Gonna be a hard few future years. Lets name this era the "Luongo Era." Started and ended with him.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I don't think you guys will blow it up. I could see AV out Gillis having one last chance before it is all over. Maybe trade Schneider if they can't move Lu for a top 6 winger you guys desperately need. Maybe make a run at Clarkson in free agency if you have anything to spend if Luongo leaves town. There is a couple avenues I think you have at least one last shot at a real push but the west is definitely caught up right now, it will be a grind.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
A problem might be that the team is actually too good int he regular season... at some point they need some high picks, and Gillis doesn't seem disposed to making a move for higher picks.

They've also done a terrible job of convincing the top NCAA players to sign. With a Schultz and Langionarre i'd feel much better about the state of the prospect pool...

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Twas good while ti lasted. :cry::cry: Gonna be a hard few future years. Lets name this era the "Luongo Era." Started and ended with him.

Don't really agree with that. "Luongo era" was only until the Sedins took over as dominant players. After that it's been all Sedins, with Luongo and the gang from "lockout Moose" in the background (Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa and to some extent Edler).

And even if Luongo is gone from that group, it's still the same homegrown core group of guys (Sedins + lockout Moose) trying to win it together. So I wouldn't say era has ended.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Of the core I think Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis stay... better off to keep Luongo imo ... move Schneider.

Look to re-group for 2-4 years from now.

VanMelaner14

Tan the Man
Jun 16, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
These past 7 years provided success fans of this team have never experienced before. We've seen role players like Kesler and Burrows develop into top 6 forwards and we've witnessed the Sedin's rise in becoming two of the leagues top players. Furthermore, this era gave us 6 division titles, 2 president trophies and was 1 game away from a Stanley Cup. Unfortunately, we all knew this day would come and evidently this franchise needs a new identity. Whether it's through a bright young star or through a new coaching philosophy, this team needs a new direction.

The new era for this team starts on June, 30th. I will wait and see if significant changes are made that afternoon in New Jersey.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I'd explore moving the Sedins to Florida for the 2nd overall pick. Hell I'd even hold back half their salary to make it work,[/QUOTE
You would move both sedins and keep half their salary for Drouin????

Mike Milbury wouldnt even do that

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You would move both sedins and keep half their salary for Drouin????

Mike Milbury wouldnt even do that[/QUOTE]

For Nathan MacKinnon or Drouin? Definitely. I would also look to move Edler + for the 3rd overall pick to get both MacKinnon AND Drouin. Of course Milbury wouldn't do that, because he's not a good GM.

Why is this a bad idea? The Canucks have no future first line talent in the organization, and the Sedins aren't players we can build around if we want to go far in the playoffs anymore. Time to move on from them and retool. Hell, those series of deals could probably make us more competitive in 2014-15 than keeping the Sedins would.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Yup, the core is either going to be irrelevant or broken up. They had a good run for the last 7 years but it's done now.

Kesler, Sedins, Lou, Burrows, AV. We're gonna miss this core.

Lol not all of us will miss them.

What sucks is we played 4 more games than colorado this year and they get Seth Jones. Their season was actually more fruitful than ours.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
For Nathan MacKinnon or Drouin? Definitely. I would also look to move Edler + for the 3rd overall pick to get both MacKinnon AND Drouin. Of course Milbury wouldn't do that, because he's not a good GM.

Why is this a bad idea? The Canucks have no future first line talent in the organization, and the Sedins aren't players we can build around if we want to go far in the playoffs anymore. Time to move on from them and retool. Hell, those series of deals could probably make us more competitive in 2014-15 than keeping the Sedins would.

I agree that this is the kind of move they *should* do - sadly I don't think Gillis is in the move-veterans-for-picks mode yet. That said, if he were - and I think he should be looking at this option - the one good thing going for us is that that 3 of the teams in the top 5 - Tampa, Nashville, and Carolina - aren't really in full "rebuild" mode and so may be more willing to move a high pick for an immediate need. Tampa for sure needs to get back to the playoffs, given St. Louis' age. Carolina gave up youth and draft picks for Jordan Staal and signed Semin to a big deal, which indicates they aren't looking to rebuild slowly. Nashville seems to always be in "win now" mode though they may be the least likely of the 3 to deal a pick.

Based on that, I'd really want Gillis to explore what ONE of Edler, Kesler, or Schneider bring you back from one of these teams. Obviously we'd want the most for Kesler, but both he and Edler are players who I think have reputations that outpace their actual contributions the last few years, while Schneider is my preferred goalie but at this point I think we could do fine with Luongo until Lack develops. And timing wise, a player like McKinnon, Drouin, or Barkov would probably need to develop for another year and then be ready to step into a key role in 2014 when the Sedins contract is up and this team is needing to re-tool. As far as succession planning goes, it makes a lot of sense. Sadly, in a "win now" market like Vancouver (and Toronto), GMs never have the patience to take a step back in order to take two steps forward. At least until they are forced to, a la Calgary ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad