END OF AN ERA: The Lou Lamoriello GM Appreciation Thread

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
They'll make a statue of him like Lombardi in Green Bay but in Lou fashion, it's existence and location will never be revealed.

in the bottom of the passaic river, where all of his doubters are sent :laugh:

yeah i don't think he'd ever let a statue go up for him. maybe a lou night, but it'd take a long time/lot of effort to convince him i feel.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
I will continue to appreciate Lou because he is still here. He is the President of the New Jersey Devils.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Considering ownership can't even thank him publicly, a statue or banner or anything for that matter is the last thing he's getting.

He wouldn't want anything anyway - as long as he's alive and part of this team none of that will happen.

Yeah and that is a shame. There will never be a more influential person in the Devils organization. He may be the most influential sports executive of his generation. Really is a shame.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I'm a Ranger fan, but I attended Providence College Hockey camps from 85-90, Lou was my first real coach and mentor outside my family. Very proud of his HOF career, even though I've been watching from enemy territory ;)

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
The biggest rival I have, the team that I hate more than any other, and this hurts my heart. I don't respect too many in the hockey world as much as Lou. He gave all of us on both sides meaning.

The man put together the greatest defensive team the league will ever see. No way to argue it.

Thank you Lou, with love and respect. All class.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The biggest rival I have, the team that I hate more than any other, and this hurts my heart. I don't respect too many in the hockey world as much as Lou. He gave all of us on both sides meaning.

The man put together the greatest defensive team the league will ever see. No way to argue it.

Thank you Lou, with love and respect. All class.

That means a lot, thanks.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Hats off to Lou on a fantastic run. Glad he will still be around to guide the transition. A statue would be uncharacteristic of this organization, but his name should definitely be in the rafters (along with Dr. McMullen) at some point as franchise builders. The next generation of Devils fans needs to see those names alongside the retired numbers and ask their parents about these men.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I've only met Lou once -- inaugural season of the Rock, walking around the suite level. I rounded a corner, and there he was: walking pretty quickly in his black suit, white shirt, conservative tie. I made quick eye contact, seized up for a half-second, but knew I had to make the move (otherwise I would've kicked myself for eternity :laugh:).

I'm a younger fan, and was only 15 at the time. But, having a family deeply rooted in NJ, and two parents that have been all Devils all the time throughout my childhood and teen years, I knew all about Lou and all about his successes. Hell, I was an infant in attendance for Game 4 of the '95 Cup. As a 5 year old, I cried all the way home from '00 Game 5 in that god forsaken overtime loss. So I was well-versed in "everything Lou."

I walked up and outstretched my hand, making sure I referred to him as "Mr. Lamoriello." We chatted for about five minutes; I told him how beautiful the new arena was, thanked him for everything, I've been a lifelong fan, yada yada. He seemed genuinely surprised that I -- as a relatively younger fan -- knew who he was and had the guts to initiate a conversation.

One quote from him that has stuck with me: we closed the discussion and I motioned and said "thank you again for all of this," and he finished with, "You're absolutely welcome, just make sure you keep coming back."

I think that moment alone really cemented me as a lifelong Devils fan. Thank you, Mr. Lamoriello.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hats off to Lou on a fantastic run. Glad he will still be around to guide the transition. A statue would be uncharacteristic of this organization, but his name should definitely be in the rafters (along with Dr. McMullen) at some point as franchise builders. The next generation of Devils fans needs to see those names alongside the retired numbers and ask their parents about these men.

Ya I really want to see some sort of plaque or statue for Dr. McMullen in the very near future, and then eventually for Lou (he won't allow it while still Prez).

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
One of the most influential, respected and longest tenured general managers in the history of the National Hockey League... He took over a franchise that was labeled as a "mickey mouse organization" and helped turn it into a winning one. His commitment to winning and loyalty to the team and its players (and staff) can only be matched by maybe a handful on GM's in the history of the game. He created a unique team culture that was the backbone of three Stanley Cups and two other appearances in the finals. His work and impact in and around hockey overall is impressive; the growth of USA hockey, bringing in russian players to the NHL... the list goes on.

A true legend. Truely the end of an era. Thanks for all the years, Lou.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I think Lou absolutely deserves to have his name in the rafters. 28 years as GM, 3 cups, 5 finals, division titles, how ever many consecutive playoff appearances. And from Ray Shero to Dean Lombardi, to Brian Burke, he influenced a new generation of GM's. He is one of the most respected executives in the game. Without Lou, this organization might not even be in New Jersey anymore.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think Lou absolutely deserves to have his name in the rafters. 28 years as GM, 3 cups, 5 finals, division titles, how ever many consecutive playoff appearances. And from Ray Shero to Dean Lombardi, to Brian Burke, he influenced a new generation of GM's. He is one of the most respected executives in the game. Without Lou, this organization might not even be in New Jersey anymore.

I agree with you. He deserves the honor as much as any player whose name hangs in the rafters.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

i see in the article he mentions the torrey banner… the arbour one that hangs beside it is a sham…he was behind the bench back to "coach" one game in '07 to give him that nice round number……he previously last coached in '94 prior to that game

anyways…..just a rant

….i do think its only time until we see some sort of tribute for lou at the rock permanently though

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Larry Brooks on Lou:

http://nypost.com/2015/05/09/everything-lou-lamoriello-did-as-devils-gm-he-did-his-way/

If I had a dollar for every time Lou Lamoriello walked into my office at the Meadowlands offering me a dollar to get a haircut, I would have … well, I would have a dollar.

And I do.

Because when you worked for Lamoriello, as I did for five years after he came to the Devils in 1987, you never needed to be asked twice, asked in this case of course meaning, told.

An era has ended not only in New Jersey, but in the NHL and in the history of pro sports in our town that extends over bridges east and west. We have had a handful of front office giants in the modern era — Branch Rickey, George Young, George Weiss, Frank Cashen, Eddie Donovan and Bill Torrey foremost among them — but none was the enduring face of his franchise the way Lamoriello has been.

The Lou Jersey Devils.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Courtesy of Elliotte Friedman's column today: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-top-3-contenders-for-mike-babcock/

15. Shero told a great story about his relationship with Lamoriello. “A few years ago, I was having a disagreement with Dean Lombardi over something,” Shero said. “We get along very well, but disagreed over this. To settle this, I said to him, ‘Why don’t I call Lou and see what he says and get back to you?’ We agreed on that. So I called (Lamoriello) and he said, ‘Based on the information you have given me, here’s what I think.’ He agreed with me, so I called Dean and told him Lou was on my side. That was the end of that.” What was it about? “I won’t tell you. You can ask Dean, but he won’t tell you either.” So far, that’s true.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
The Devils made the playoffs 21 times in those 27 seasons, a rate exceeded since 1987 by only four other franchises in the four major sports—the NBA’s Spurs (26) and Lakers (24), and the NHL’s Red Wings (26) and Blues (22). But while Lamoriello had a hand in every one of the Devils’ 1,093 victories in that period (not including the team’s three Stanley Cups), those other franchises had multiple men in charge—14, as a matter of fact.

Only the Red Wings have won more Stanley Cups (four) than the Devils since Lamoriello took charge. In the other sports, the NBA’s Lakers and Bulls have six titles each, the Spurs and Yankees five and the NFL’s Patriots four. Brian Cashman has been the Yankees’ general manager for four of their five modern championships. But the Yankees are the antithesis of the Devils, who are often forced to contend on a small budget, as opposed to the virtually limitless financial resources at Cashman’s disposal.

Since Lamoriello took over the Devils in 1987, the NBA’s Portland Trail Blazers have also made the playoffs 21 times—but under 10 different GMs. Nevertheless, many Devils fans are applauding the end of Lamoriello’s tenure as general manager out of frustration over three straight seasons in which the team has failed to qualify for the playoffs, as well as the lack of any championships since 2003 (the Devils did reach the Finals in 2012, losing to the Kings in six games).

In recent years, the roster moves that had always worked in his favor suddenly turned sour. But perhaps the fans’ frustration is the ultimate testament to Lamoriello’s legacy. After all, in the Devils’ first five years in New Jersey, from 1982 to 1987, the team went 113-247-40.

BN-IG083_Tan_NS_NS_20150504210153.jpg

http://www.wsj.com/articles/devils-lamoriello-among-the-best-gms-ever-1430789929

GhostofKenKlee

Lou once told me the following about Lombardi:

One day Lombardi from the neighborhood carried my mother's groceries all the way home. You know why? It was outta respect. -

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lou once told me the following about Lombardi:

One day Lombardi from the neighborhood carried my mother's groceries all the way home. You know why? It was outta respect. -

Then Lou went and asked his mother if she liked his shoes.

And she said ''My god Louis, you look like a gangster!''

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad